PDA

View Full Version : 2006 Chev Duramax Diesel Problem

ed2hess
07-26-2011, 11:00 PM
Crew driving down the road at 30mph and the engine just stopped running. It will turn over fine but will not start. No engine lights or other lights are on. We pushed it into a parking lot for the night. My plan was to to replace all the relays one at a time(only two kinds of those), Then maybe go thru the fuses. Is there any other thing to do before we have it towed? It has 50K miles on it and we put more fuel in even though it said it had a half tank. It is $200 in this town for a tow...may drag it home. If there any problem with doing that...like to transmission?

mag360
07-27-2011, 03:16 PM
Loss of fuel rail pressure may not set off a code. Does it have a chip? Too much pressure could have popped the relief. Also could be a leaky injector or failed cp3 injection pump. Or faulty fuel gauge...

ed2hess
07-27-2011, 10:24 PM
Loss of fuel rail pressure may not set off a code. Does it have a chip? Too much pressure could have popped the relief. Also could be a leaky injector or failed cp3 injection pump. Or faulty fuel gauge...

Is the relief something that can be reset out on th eroad? We added fuel in case gauge was faulty. We didnt add a chip so do they come with one? Where is that injection pump? My son went back to the truck this am and ground on it while pumping the throttle and eventually it started. Unfortunately the toll truck had arrived so we took it in to chev. We forgot that it had a five year warranty.
?

jimmyjack
07-27-2011, 10:39 PM
why not just change the fuel filter and start there , thats normally the first place to start if it wont start, when was the last time it was changed?

jimmyjack
07-27-2011, 10:42 PM
Is the relief something that can be reset out on th eroad? We added fuel in case gauge was faulty. We didnt add a chip so do they come with one? Where is that injection pump? My son went back to the truck this am and ground on it while pumping the throttle and eventually it started. Unfortunately the toll truck had arrived so we took it in to chev. We forgot that it had a five year warranty.
?

just so u know next time pumping the pedal does nothing with these new trucks , the pedal is fly by wire

mag360
07-28-2011, 11:35 AM
Let us know what wound up being wrong. The fact that it eventually started is good - you aren't dealing with catastrophic failure of your injection pump or injectors most likely.

Capemay Eagle
07-28-2011, 06:41 PM
Never mind, see you got it started!

ed2hess
07-30-2011, 09:40 PM
Well chev has had it 2 days so no news.

mag360
07-31-2011, 09:51 PM
uh-oh, thanks for the update. Hope it comes back cheap and easy.

DoetschOutdoor
08-03-2011, 01:58 PM
Any update? Does your insurance not cover towing? Seeing as how its a newer truck, you prolly have full coverage and towing is usually included. Had to get roadside service on my dodge and had a check 5 days later.

ed2hess
08-08-2011, 10:05 PM
Still in the shop. It is one month away from the end of the 5 year warranty. They finally called and offered us a truck so we took them up on that. I am guessing this will close to 2 grand. Found out tooo late that we took it to a chev shop not known for diesel repairs.

ed2hess
08-28-2011, 04:58 PM
Still in the shop needs 8 injectors none available in US apparently everybody knows there is a shortage and keeps theirs hidden.

westcoh
08-28-2011, 08:53 PM
So what are they saying caused 8 injectors to fail?

dieseltech
08-29-2011, 01:16 PM
Very unlikely all 8 injectors failed all at the same time...
Posted via Mobile Device

jimmyjack
08-29-2011, 09:02 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

jimmyjack
08-29-2011, 09:08 PM
Sounds like they don't know what it needs and are going to try injectors, cause like diesel tech said seems odd that all 8 fail at the same time and 06 isn't known for injector problems,
Could be a short in the harness , all years have that problem
Posted via Mobile Device

mag360
08-29-2011, 11:58 PM
If they are paying let them replace all 8 but it sounds like they don't know what they're doing... Loss of rail pressure can cause a no-start without setting a code. That can be caused by a bad injector but they can be individually pressure tested... Also, the cp3 can be at fault here. They need to check for fuel from the return line to verify the gear pump is working - or that fuel is even reaching it. If that checks out then the fuel control actuator should be tested/replaced. The FCA is computer controlled and is what allows fuel into the rail at the necessary pressure (around 5000psi). There is also a cascade overflow valve that is mechanically controlled (spring) that could fail and keep fuel from reaching the high pressure piston pump, rendering the cp3 useless. If they are diagnosing with a scanner they may be barking up the wrong tree...

ed2hess
08-31-2011, 06:20 PM
Well we were told today that it will one more month before they can tell us when they will get the parts. They are considering putting in a new engine can you image that:hammerhead:

Patriot Services
08-31-2011, 06:28 PM
Unfrigginbelievable! Can you have it towed to the dealer that does habla diesel engines?
Posted via Mobile Device

meets1
08-31-2011, 11:46 PM
Get it out of there and go to a real diesel shop. I had a an 08 - on interest, lost power and finally pulled over cuzz it was dead. Only had around 20K miles. When they changed oil last they never did the fuel filter - keep this mind - now i call - they say injectors, fuel pump, try pumping the pedal for fuel - they really had no idea. I called a friend of mine whose dad is in the repair business - he asked if I had tools - always got tools, he ask if I can get a fuel filter - sure a napa store a block away - replace the filter - started right up. So back to the GM shop - they had no idea and neither does your shop - get it out!!

ed2hess
09-03-2011, 05:31 PM
Well they gave us a 350 to use....new checkpoint is October. Kinda hard to move a truck that is tore down to another shop. This is a warranty thing at a Chev dealer. If it works like it did at IBM I am sure they would have called in a Chev expert if they thought they needed him.

JDiepstra
09-03-2011, 07:04 PM
Well they gave us a 350 to use....new checkpoint is October. Kinda hard to move a truck that is tore down to another shop. This is a warranty thing at a Chev dealer. If it works like it did at IBM I am sure they would have called in a Chev expert if they thought they needed him.

Wow u r getting jerked around something fierce. Do u actually believe theyd bring in a different parts changer? Not gonna happen.

Patriot Services
09-03-2011, 07:19 PM
What choice does the man honestly have? The warranty states they will fix the truck, not how long they have to do it. I would say he is lucky to get a loaner vehicle that he can still work with. I hope when they get it back they understand what normal wear and tear is on a landscapers truck.:usflag:

ed2hess
09-03-2011, 10:54 PM
Keep in mind our truck just dropped out of the 5 year warranty. We think that if we continue to be MR Nice guy we will get them to cover this thing for a few more months in case this repair don't go so well. And we asked the dealer across town about it and he don't want to touch it now....this is the dealer we bought it from and does have the best diesel mech in town. Our insurance company is now wanting more money for the loaner...

mag360
09-17-2011, 08:17 AM
maybe by Christmas...

ed2hess
09-30-2011, 07:11 PM
maybe by Christmas...

Still in the shop and no outlook.....we have a new nice diesel loaner. We are going to just stay low and see how long it takes them to get that unit out. It makes us wonder if the other diesel is worth a crap. We thought we would buy diesel and have trucks that would last us 10 years easy since we only but 10 k a year.

JDiepstra
10-01-2011, 04:57 PM
Still in the shop and no outlook.....we have a new nice diesel loaner. We are going to just stay low and see how long it takes them to get that unit out. It makes us wonder if the other diesel is worth a crap. We thought we would buy diesel and have trucks that would last us 10 years easy since we only but 10 k a year.

If that is what you are looking for you should go with a pre 2007.5 Dodge Cummins 5.9. Then it will last you longer than that easily with nothing but a few u joints, fuel filter once a year, and oil changes once a year. Oh and get a modified valve body and have the fluid changed every other year.

heather lawn sp
10-03-2011, 03:03 AM

We have an '04, '05,and an '06 6.6 Duramax. We had a '93 6.5 retired with honours in '05 and a '96 6.5 retired in '06, both about 140,000 miles as plow trucks. This sounds like more trouble than all 5 put together. There is something weird going on.

Capemay Eagle
10-03-2011, 08:21 AM
Well we were told today that it will one more month before they can tell us when they will get the parts. They are considering putting in a new engine can you image that:hammerhead: I can, that is why GM was close to extinction! Looks like they are headed down the same road again!!

ed2hess
10-12-2011, 07:34 PM
Well they called us today and said they received the parts and would get right on the unit. Well it is now end of day no truck.

ed2hess
10-23-2011, 06:08 PM
Well we got our truck out of the Chev Dealer shop this week. The total cost under warranty was $8000. They replaced all 8 injectors and both rails. And the cost of the loaner during that time was $1800 which they covered.
The 4x4 is the one we rented from enterprise. Truck was 4 years and 11 months old, so under warranty. It had 38,000 miles on it. So makes us wonder how often this kind of thing happens. We bought two of these a year apart. Sorta considering extended warranty. Anybody know what that would cost? So in the shop about 4 months.

Patriot Services
10-23-2011, 06:10 PM
So can we assume you'll be trading it in on a Dodge or Ford this week?:usflag:

ed2hess
10-23-2011, 07:20 PM
So can we assume you'll be trading it in on a Dodge or Ford this week?:usflag:

One expert I talked to says there rail are problematic so stay away from
engine that use them. No we won't be trading. We figure that chev will take care of us for awhile on this one, since we didn't smash face them on getting it fixed.

User Name Taken
10-23-2011, 08:22 PM
The 04.5+ trucks aren't that problematic about anything but trans cooler lines. Every once and a while you'll hear of a head gasket going bad on ones built before the last month of 05 to the first of 06. I've never heard of a rail "going bad" since there's no moving parts to it. I have an 06 myself as do a few of my friends and no real problems that weren't self inflicted :-).
Ext warranties arent a bad idea if your going to keep it a while. Avg injector job is $4500 and head gaskets are around $3k.

User Name Taken
10-23-2011, 09:27 PM
Sounds like they don't know what it needs and are going to try injectors, cause like diesel tech said seems odd that all 8 fail at the same time and 06 isn't known for injector problems,
Could be a short in the harness , all years have that problem
Posted via Mobile Device
01-04 are notorious for injector problems,only the 04.5-05 have the harness rub problem
Very unlikely all 8 injectors failed all at the same time...
Posted via Mobile Device
Agreed, unless the fuel filter was old and bad fuel was introduced
If that is what you are looking for you should go with a pre 2007.5 Dodge Cummins 5.9. Then it will last you longer than that easily with nothing but a few u joints, fuel filter once a year, and oil changes once a year. Oh and get a modified valve body and have the fluid changed every other year.
This truck will do the same if a good tech had looked at it first before these guys.

underPSI
10-24-2011, 09:33 PM
I call b.s. I'm willing to wager the stealership was throwing parts at it. During the replacement of injectors and fuel rails they decided to replace the fuel filter. Joila! It runs. Luckily GM covered the cost.

ed2hess
10-25-2011, 06:47 PM
I call b.s. I'm willing to wager the stealership was throwing parts at it. During the replacement of injectors and fuel rails they decided to replace the fuel filter. Joila! It runs. Luckily GM covered the cost.
Doesn;'t the computer know when/if the fuel filter was changed? On a newer chev if you don't change oil and stuff it keeps telling you every time you start the truck. They had the truck 4 months and they didn't dig into it until they got the 8 parts then it took one week.

underPSI
10-25-2011, 07:06 PM
Doesn;'t the computer know when/if the fuel filter was changed? On a newer chev if you don't change oil and stuff it keeps telling you every time you start the truck. They had the truck 4 months and they didn't dig into it until they got the 8 parts then it took one week.

The computer's recommendation on filter and fluid change is based on driving style (the average throttle position sensor reading and engine load) and mileage. Once the recommendation is set on the DIC (driver information center) it's up to the driver to reset it. The computer does not know if the fluid or filter was actually changed.

PlantscapeSolutions
11-02-2011, 12:47 AM
Well we got our truck out of the Chev Dealer shop this week. The total cost under warranty was $8000. They replaced all 8 injectors and both rails. And the cost of the loaner during that time was $1800 which they covered.
The 4x4 is the one we rented from enterprise. Truck was 4 years and 11 months old, so under warranty. It had 38,000 miles on it. So makes us wonder how often this kind of thing happens. We bought two of these a year apart. Sorta considering extended warranty. Anybody know what that would cost? So in the shop about 4 months.
I'm surprised you didn't rent a truck from Longhorn Truck Rentals. I hate Longhorn but it's the only place in town you can rent a truck for towing trailers. Plus the trucks usually have a little wear so you don't have to worry about your guys causing a little wear you get billed for.

The Duramax 6.6 is better then Fords 6.0 & 6.4 but I'll prefer my 02' 2500 Ram, 06' Ram 2500, and 09' Ram 3500 with 5.9 24 valve, 5.9 CR, and 6.7 (DPF Deleted). There are actually companies like Destroked who specialize in yanking our the engines in Fords and replacing them with Cummins engines. There are no companies that specialize in putting Fords 6.0, 6.4, or GM's 6.6 in other trucks.

If you go to the track or sled pulls the Cummins powered trucks rule the roost followed by Duramax's. Ford is a rarity being on the podium at any event unless it's the Special Olympics. The ultimate insult is Ford using the Cummins 6.7 in their F650 & F750.

ed2hess
11-02-2011, 07:09 PM
I'm surprised you didn't rent a truck from Longhorn Truck Rentals. I hate Longhorn but it's the only place in town you can rent a truck for towing trailers. Plus the trucks usually have a little wear so you don't have to worry about your guys causing a little wear you get billed for.

The Duramax 6.6 is better then Fords 6.0 & 6.4 but I'll prefer my 02' 2500 Ram, 06' Ram 2500, and 09' Ram 3500 with 5.9 24 valve, 5.9 CR, and 6.7 (DPF Deleted). There are actually companies like Destroked who specialize in yanking our the engines in Fords and replacing them with Cummins engines. There are no companies that specialize in putting Fords 6.0, 6.4, or GM's 6.6 in other trucks.

If you go to the track or sled pulls the Cummins powered trucks rule the roost followed by Duramax's. Ford is a rarity being on the podium at any event unless it's the Special Olympics. The ultimate insult is Ford using the Cummins 6.7 in their F650 & F750.
Chev told us to got to enterprise and the cost was $1000 a month not the amount I posted. And we did bang up the brand new unit but took the insurance and it was paid by warranty.

underPSI
11-02-2011, 10:49 PM

It's to bad Dodge can't keep up with GM or Ford as they are really falling behind even with their supposed "upgrade" to 800 ft/lbs of torque. Dodge is dead-last compared to Ford coming in 2nd to GM in the tough-truck competition.

PlantscapeSolutions
11-03-2011, 01:00 AM
It's to bad Dodge can't keep up with GM or Ford as they are really falling behind even with their supposed "upgrade" to 800 ft/lbs of torque. Dodge is dead-last compared to Ford coming in 2nd to GM in the tough-truck competition.
If you go to the track & sled pulls where they push engines to the limit the Cummins powered trucks are on the podium more then GM & Ford combined. The power race for factory power numbers will never stop and the tittle will continue to change hands.

Ford desperatly needed to be at the top to attract customers since their track record with the 6.0 & 6.4 cost them a tremendous amount of loyal followers. It's still too early to tell if the Ford 6.7 will help people forget about the 6.0 nightmares. You'd have to be crazy to buy an untested 6.7 after the 6.0, and 6.4 were both short lived problem plagued engines. The 6.4 was not as bad but it was not in the same league as the Duramax or Cummins.

The Duramax is a good engine but it had injector problems for several years that could cost you half the price of a whole new motor. There were several years where the EGR cooler on the truck over whelmed the radiator leading to over heated trucks and cracked heads. Many Diesel guys like the old school cast iron heads you find on the Cummins engines better. Plus the IFS front end on the GM's has not held up well under heavy workloads.

The Ram has the best exhaust brake which is huge when your buying a truck to pull trailers. Cummins 100K warranty dates back to 1940 and set the standard a long time ago. As far as the power numbers go you can buy a Smarty and surpass the GM & Ford numbers with a push of a button. My 09' makes 415 HP and 780 ft lbs on a mild setting.

If you look under the hood of a Powerstroke or Duramax you can't even see the engine because there is so much plumbing and other stuff all over the engine. I know with the Ford 6.0 if you blew a head gasket the whole cab had to come off the truck just to remove the head. That's crazy. Look at the straight six on the Ram and there is way less plumbing and moving parts.

Look under the hood of the big rigs and all you will see is straight sixes. Six in a row built to tow. Why have an engine with architecture designed for pickups when you can have an engine with big rig architecture. I'm not saying the new 6.7 is a perfect engine but the only problems have been mostly emissions related on a small scale mostly during the 07.5-8 period. I'd much rather take my chances with a Cummins under the hood. Dating back to 1989 the Ram with a Cummins has been the most durable and problem free Diesel engine you can buy.

ed2hess
12-02-2011, 04:51 PM
I was having oil changed at Henna Chev dealer and went in to talk to the service mgr about the repair on our diesel. The repair was not made at this dealer. He told me that they never replace just one injector on failure.

But more important he told me I needed to be using 2stroke oil in the diesel. He said to get TCW3 oil approved for outboard motors. Apparently there is a pretty big problem with lubricity. Any thoughts on this?

Patriot Services
12-02-2011, 06:47 PM
I was having oil changed at Henna Chev dealer and went in to talk to the service mgr about the repair on our diesel. The repair was not made at this dealer. He told me that they never replace just one injector on failure.

But more important he told me I needed to be using 2stroke oil in the diesel. He said to get TCW3 oil approved for outboard motors. Apparently there is a pretty big problem with lubricity. Any thoughts on this?

I'm beginning to think all these dealers are nuts. If there was a widespread problem from the factory they would be issuing bulletins with instructions. TCW3 oil as a modern piezo injector lubricant? Really? At the very least it will screw up the emissions. If it was a fuel problem GM would be pushing a fuel conditioner of their brand.
Posted via Mobile Device

PlantscapeSolutions
12-02-2011, 07:26 PM
Here is a link www.johnfjensen.com/Diesel_fuel_additive_test.pd (http://www.johnfjensen.com/Diesel_fuel_additive_test.pd)f to a study done on Diesel fuel additives for improving lubricity. I use the Schaeffer Diesel Treat 2000 you can get it from McCoys or straight from Jim the local sales rep. From Jim you must buy case quantities but it's not a big deal.

The other thing you can do to improve the lubrication of the injectors is have a FASS or Airdog installed. These system remove all the entrained air from the fuel and feed the injectors pure Diesel. I had a FASS 95 on my 02' Ram 2500 and I have an Airdog on my 11' Ram 3500. These systems will also improve the fuel filtration and you will gain about 5% on your mpg's.

ed2hess
12-02-2011, 08:01 PM
Here is a link www.johnfjensen.com/Diesel_fuel_additive_test.pd (http://www.johnfjensen.com/Diesel_fuel_additive_test.pd)f to a study done on Diesel fuel additives for improving lubricity. I use the Schaeffer Diesel Treat 2000 you can get it from McCoys or straight from Jim the local sales rep. From Jim you must buy case quantities but it's not a big deal.

The other thing you can do to improve the lubrication of the injectors is have a FASS or Airdog installed. These system remove all the entrained air from the fuel and feed the injectors pure Diesel. I had a FASS 95 on my 02' Ram 2500 and I have an Airdog on my 11' Ram 3500. These systems will also improve the fuel filtration and you will gain about 5% on your mpg's.

So is that an either or thing.....Airdog or additive? The airdog runs $600 plus installation and Jimmy says I need a chip so I guess I am looking about about $2000 on each truck.

PlantscapeSolutions
12-02-2011, 08:42 PM
The Diesel Treat 2000 is good basic protection. The Airdog/FASS is for taking your injector protection to the next level if you plan on running your trucks for many years. With the complication of additional emissions and reduced fuel mileage the older trucks are worth spending some extra money on.

I only run the Diesel Treat 2000 in the 06' RAM 2500 my crew drives. The injectors on the Cummins tend to last as long as the truck. For a personal ride a chip or downloader is nice but not for a dedicated work truck. You do not need a chip to run a FASS (Fuel Air Separating System).

ed2hess
12-02-2011, 09:42 PM
I was thinking about switching them to propane but now after having one unit fail I don't know. I am a little afraid of messing with them now.

User Name Taken
12-03-2011, 11:38 PM
Some peoples misunderstanding of the Duramax engine and GM Duramax trucks in general are amazing..............

PlantscapeSolutions
12-04-2011, 12:29 AM
You can do propane injection on Diesels but it's not a substitution for the Diesel fuel. The propane has a very high octane rating and helps the Diesel achieve a very clean and efficient combustion process.

Performance guys tend to favor Nitrous, water/methanol, or just water injection because it lowers the EGTS and allows them to run even larger injectors. Nitrous also helps spool very large turbos very quickly.

I had water/methanol injection on my last truck and loved it. Once you've driven a Diesel truck with over 1200 foot pounds of torque at the rear wheels you'll never own another gas truck again.

PlantscapeSolutions
12-04-2011, 12:40 AM
Some peoples misunderstanding of the Duramax engine and GM Duramax trucks in general are amazing..............

GM really owes Isuzu a big thanks for the partnership that created the Duramax. A lot of the engine parts still come from Japan even though GM sold it's stake in Isuzu. GM really had a joke of a Diesel engine until 2001.

ed2hess
12-04-2011, 01:44 PM
I will head into lMcCoys to get that diesel addative next week. They just started selling trailer/truck tires. They are considering selling a 2stroke oil in bulk cans once they decide which brand. Could save us some bucks since we buy in the small plastic containers.

PlantscapeSolutions
12-04-2011, 05:09 PM
If you give Jim a call at 413-6650 you will save some money buying it a case at a time. I usually go to Jim's house between Barton Creek Mall and Bee Caves Road to pick the stuff up but he may deliver for you as well.

underPSI
12-04-2011, 08:29 PM
The only additive I'd recommend for the Dmax is Stanadyne which is the only additive recommended by GM. Stanadyne not only increases lubricity and cetane rating but it's also an demulsifier compared to almost every other additive on the market which is an emulsifier. The reason this is important and why GM recommends Stanadyne is it's better to actually separate the water from the fuel and have it accumulate in the bottom of the fuel filter instead of mixing it with the fuel which can destroy the injectors. We all know how expensive the injectors are. I add Stanadyne performance formula every time I fill the tank.

http://www.stanadyne.com/view.php?id=74

PlantscapeSolutions
12-04-2011, 11:28 PM
Last last link I had attached quit working. Try this one www.dieselplace.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=44499

PlantscapeSolutions
12-05-2011, 01:07 AM
Don't tell Jim but I found you can buy the Opti-Lube XPD online at www.opti-lube.com/index.html . I didn't know until know where to buy this stuff. This is the best rated product on the market. The number one rated product in the test is not commercially available as far as I can tell and you would near darn near a half gallon of it per tank which is too much to be toting around.

I purchased the Opti-Lube XPD in a five gallon bucket with a pump and a handy self measuring container for only about $220 delivered to my house. This will make 2560 gallons at .25 oz's per gallon. That's 8.5 cents per gallon but you will get 5% better mpg's so you are actually going to be saving 10 cents per gallon by using this stuff.

For the Supreme Synthetic 9000 motor oil I would still give Jim a call. Here's a link for the oil http://www.schaefferoil.com/supreme-9000-engine-oil.html. Jim will run oil analysis samples from your truck for free when you use his products. This is a great way of knowing if you truck is going to last many more years or if it's a time bomb that needs to go ASAP.

jetta
12-05-2011, 08:32 AM
i need new injectors on my 03...warranty for 200,000 miles or 1 yr ......really 1 yr. they are proud of them when it comes to price but not warranty.

PlantscapeSolutions
12-05-2011, 09:22 AM
i need new injectors on my 03...warranty for 200,000 miles or 1 yr ......really 1 yr. they are proud of them when it comes to price but not warranty.

I would definitely check out places like F1diesel.com versus spending big bucks for more OEM units. F1 does all their own EDM nozzle manufacturing in house to an insane quality standard. You can add some extra power and likely still spend way less then buying new injectors from GM. F1 can rebuild your OEM injector bodies and save you a bunch of money most of the time.

You can use the money you save on a FASS or Airdog to better filter your fuel of damaging impurities and remove the entrained air from the fuel as well. Most people do not realize when the shot of fuel goes down the injector it is full of tiny air bubbles that causes metal to metal parts wear. A FASS or Airdog removes all entrained air and better lubricates your injectors. They will last longer and you will actually notice your truck runs smoother at idle.

I had F1 1.6 injectors in my 02' Ram that were built for towing and added 90 HP.

User Name Taken
12-05-2011, 10:36 PM
I would definitely check out places like F1diesel.com versus spending big bucks for more OEM units. F1 does all their own EDM nozzle manufacturing in house to an insane quality standard. You can add some extra power and likely still spend way less then buying new injectors from GM. F1 can rebuild your OEM injector bodies and save you a bunch of money most of the time.

You can use the money you save on a FASS or Airdog to better filter your fuel of damaging impurities and remove the entrained air from the fuel as well. Most people do not realize when the shot of fuel goes down the injector it is full of tiny air bubbles that causes metal to metal parts wear. A FASS or Airdog removes all entrained air and better lubricates your injectors. They will last longer and you will actually notice your truck runs smoother at idle.

I had F1 1.6 injectors in my 02' Ram that were built for towing and added 90 HP.
If his injectors are bad F! will still charge him for new Bosch injectors. Why in the world would you have them rebuild the old design anyhow and risk another cracked injector body or rusted ball and seat ???

PlantscapeSolutions
12-06-2011, 12:07 AM
If the injector bodies aren't cracked they can refurbish the bodies with new internals and F1 nozzles. If the cores are wasted I'm sure F1 get new cores as well. Dealing with F1 will be a better investment then dealing with GM. F1 is the premier name in aftermarket injectors for good reason. I've only dealt with pre-common rail F1 injectors myself.

ed2hess
01-04-2013, 07:41 PM
This truck had all injectors put in by Chev around Dec 2011. Now we have found that it burned/lost 4 quarts of oil between oil changes. Do you think there could be any connection between the work they did in putting all 8 injectors in and this oil use? Our mileage is very low maybe 8 K a year.

PlantscapeSolutions
01-04-2013, 08:29 PM
Ed you need to subscribe to one of the Duramax forums. It's a good way to find out what problems Dmax's from different years had. I'm a six in a row guy so I'm only familiar with Cummins Forum and TDR.

4 seasons lawn&land
01-04-2013, 08:50 PM
does anyone think 8k for injectors and fuel rails sounds a little off?

ed2hess
01-04-2013, 10:01 PM
Ed you need to subscribe to one of the Duramax forums. It's a good way to find out what problems Dmax's from different years had. I'm a six in a row guy so I'm only familiar with Cummins Forum and TDR.

Yes that is a good idea. Thanks

scotts lawn care
01-04-2013, 10:25 PM
Duramaxforum is great for anything chevy or GMC - Duramax.......:weightlifter:

User Name Taken
01-05-2013, 11:31 PM
Duramax forum is a joke really, too many keyboard cowboys. DuramaxDiesels.com or Dieselplace.com will get you the answers you need with minimal BS.

ed2hess
01-06-2013, 11:44 PM
Duramax forum is a joke really, too many keyboard cowboys. DuramaxDiesels.com or Dieselplace.com will get you the answers you need with minimal BS.

Thanks didn't take me long to conclude what you say.

ed2hess
01-18-2013, 09:41 PM
One Last paragraph on this....today I was at a chev dealer(not the one that worked on our truck) and their greeter(just like Walmart) started talking with me. Turns out he was the president of this company but retired and came back to work free in the repair lounge. I told him about our problem in getting 8 injectors. He walked me back to their repair stock and they only had two. He asked why and they said it was a $800 item.:dizzy::dizzy: Can that be true that a set of 8 injectors would cost $6400 + install from chev:dizzy::dizzy:

PlantscapeSolutions
01-19-2013, 02:22 AM
One Last paragraph on this....today I was at a chev dealer(not the one that worked on our truck) and their greeter(just like Walmart) started talking with me. Turns out he was the president of this company but retired and came back to work free in the repair lounge. I told him about our problem in getting 8 injectors. He walked me back to their repair stock and they only had two. He asked why and they said it was a $800 item.:dizzy::dizzy: Can that be true that a set of 8 injectors would cost $6400 + install from chev:dizzy::dizzy:

The aftermarket injectors can be $4500 - $5500 a set so GM charging $6400 would not be a surprise. The Cummins injectors which are also Bosh units cost half as much to replace and are extremely reliable. Usually, it was only the early years of the Dmax where the injectors were a big problem.

My 02', 06, and 09' Cummins powered Rams have never needed any injectors. You need to find a good Diesel mechanic to handle any non-warranty type work.

User Name Taken
01-20-2013, 07:24 PM
last set I bought was $1800 + 200 for the install kit . Seriously, 800 for 1 ?!?!?!?

ed2hess
05-22-2013, 10:09 PM
The ole diesel chev wouldn't start at the shop...pretty good place to fail. It was late in evening so I left a backup to switch out. Did google thing and realized I didn't try to prime it. I pumped it up about 50 times and unit fired up. Filter had gone 13K so got it changed at chev and they said all good to go. I wonder if any codes get posted when it loses prime?

User Name Taken
05-22-2013, 10:55 PM
I don't think it does. 10k is my absolute max on the fuel filter. if it does it again fairly quickly the filter head may be cracked or need to be rebuilt.

angelo c
05-23-2013, 09:09 PM
I don't think it does. 10k is my absolute max on the fuel filter. if it does it again fairly quickly the filter head may be cracked or need to be rebuilt.

Fuel filter and oil filter at the same intervals. Always. The fuel filtration is more important then the oil filtration. Seriously. Im a cummins driver but the cr engines are very similar in delivery system. The smallest amounts of mold forms in the fuel and when under high pressures is like sandblasting the injectors. They are all great engines but the fuel filter change outs are small insurance payments for long term use. Fass and airdogs are great alternatives to adding filtration as well.

ed2hess
05-23-2013, 09:56 PM

Is the rebuild difficult? yes I just have to get on top of our truck maintenance.

Fuel filter and oil filter at the same intervals. Always. The fuel filtration is more important then the oil filtration. Seriously. Im a cummins driver but the cr engines are very similar in delivery system. The smallest amounts of mold forms in the fuel and when under high pressures is like sandblasting the injectors. They are all great engines but the fuel filter change outs are small insurance payments for long term use. Fass and airdogs are great alternatives to adding filtration as well.

I did start using an addative from schaeffer...but will chg filter at 10K which is about a year use for us

angelo c
05-23-2013, 10:13 PM
Is the rebuild difficult? yes I just have to get on top of our truck maintenance.

I did start using an addative from schaeffer...but will chg filter at 10K which is about a year use for us

Personally for such a low use operation. I would use a calendar as well. 6-8 months max. Molds love low use diesel ops. Anyone know what lubricity additives have good mold killers too ?

User Name Taken
05-23-2013, 11:18 PM

I don't believe it's too hard. Stanadyne is GM's recommended additive ; I use Opti-Lube as it's been tested to excel in additive testing

wedidthatllc
05-25-2013, 06:21 PM
wow some of you only do 10k miles a year. last year I did 30k and so far this year I have done 15k. I haven't changed me fuel filter in 30k + miles. had new injectors put in at 110k. I have a 2002 GMC 2500hd. I out pull dodges all day long.

the biggest problem with GMC/Chevy in the diesels is they did put in a lift pump like ford and dodge. you put a lift pump in and your injectors will last a lot longer. if your looking for parts or have questions about your trucks look up dx2parts.com. they have a lot of parts and will help you out with almost anything you need. when I had my new injectors put in , I paid 4200 total. dx2 parts is in Washington state but able to ship anywhere in USA. give them a call. number on website-

PlantscapeSolutions
05-25-2013, 07:05 PM
wow some of you only do 10k miles a year. last year I did 30k and so far this year I have done 15k. I haven't changed me fuel filter in 30k + miles. had new injectors put in at 110k. I have a 2002 GMC 2500hd. I out pull dodges all day long.

the biggest problem with GMC/Chevy in the diesels is they did put in a lift pump like ford and dodge. you put a lift pump in and your injectors will last a lot longer. if your looking for parts or have questions about your trucks look up dx2parts.com. they have a lot of parts and will help you out with almost anything you need. when I had my new injectors put in , I paid 4200 total. dx2 parts is in Washington state but able to ship anywhere in USA. give them a call. number on website-

A FASS or Airdog is money well spent to help your injectors. My 02' Ram had 140K on the injectors and still worked great when I swapped in a set of F1 90 HP injectors for less then a grand. Those OEM Dmax injectors are crazy expensive. If I'm going to spend $4K I'd better get some serious HP out of the deal.

The Cummins is the most popular engine for swapping into other trucks and that's not likely to change. You will see the Cummins not only under the hood of the Rams but also the Ford F650 & F750 and other trucks as well. There are multiple companies that specialize in making kits for installing the Cummins in the Ford trucks that came with the 6.0 & 6.4 and anything else as well.

The Dmax isn't a bad engine but it's not as popular as the Cummins and internally the pistons, rods, crank, and other parts can't handle the stress or aftermarket power the Cummins will.

wedidthatllc
05-25-2013, 07:13 PM
A FASS or Airdog is money well spent to help your injectors. My 02' Ram had 140K on the injectors and still worked great when I swapped in a set of F1 90 HP injectors for less then a grand. Those OEM Dmax injectors are crazy expensive. If I'm going to spend $4K I'd better get some serious HP out of the deal.

The Cummins is the most popular engine for swapping into other trucks and that's not likely to change. You will see the Cummins not only under the hood of the Rams but also the Ford F650 & F750 and other trucks as well. There are multiple companies that specialize in making kits for installing the Cummins in the Ford trucks that came with the 6.0 & 6.4 and anything else as well.

The Dmax isn't a bad engine but it's not as popular as the Cummins and internally the pistons, rods, crank, and other parts can't handle the stress or aftermarket power the Cummins will.

the injectors I put in aren't stock. DLS wanted 249 per injector and I paid 125 for 75 HP gain injector. still haven't put it n the lifter pump but I get about 25 mpg towing everyday.

PlantscapeSolutions
05-25-2013, 07:52 PM
the injectors I put in aren't stock. DLS wanted 249 per injector and I paid 125 for 75 HP gain injector. still haven't put it n the lifter pump but I get about 25 mpg towing everyday.

I'm going to have to BS a bit for claiming 25 MPG towing. If you had a short box 4x2 regular cab 2500 unloaded doing about 45 MPH with the wind at your back every day you might hit 25 MPG's. If your were able to hit 25 MPG towing even a light load that would mean you could get at least 28 MPG unloaded and that a crazy number unless you getting some help from propane injection.

wedidthatllc
05-25-2013, 07:58 PM
I do 500 miles per tank towing and non towing. and when u fill up I only put 20 gallons of fuel in. guess my truck is set up really well. I do the math by hand and not a trip computer in the truck.

wedidthatllc
05-25-2013, 08:01 PM
a lot of people don't be leave me tell they see it. I have a cold air intake, after market complete 4" pipes and headers with new turbo down pipes and all with 75 horse power gain injectors

angelo c
05-25-2013, 09:44 PM
a lot of people don't be leave me tell they see it. I have a cold air intake, after market complete 4" pipes and headers with new turbo down pipes and all with 75 horse power gain injectors

What kind of truck and tires ?

s&slawn
05-31-2013, 12:40 PM
^what he said. Interested
Posted via Mobile Device

chicken74701
06-05-2013, 12:47 PM
I have an 03 Duramax with 4" turbo back exhaust, Banks cold air intake, and Edge Juice with Attitude programmer. Got 24.1mpg. Once. Unloaded. That's a crew cab 4x4. Normally I average about 17, which I am very happy with. 25 pulling a trailer is hard to believe.

s&slawn
06-05-2013, 12:49 PM
12 valve reg cab 5 speed 2wd goin 50 flat as can be. Maybe 25.
Posted via Mobile Device

ed2hess
06-11-2013, 07:40 PM
Changed fuel filter and it went two weeks and lost prime again. Pumped it up and started. So I got a leak. If I put an air dog lifter on it will that likely elimate the problem? My thinking is I can have chev run up a few hundred running down the problem and fix it and I still need the air dog anyway. Any thoughts on this.

chicken74701
06-11-2013, 08:10 PM
You have a cracked fuel filter housing. I went thru that about 30k miles ago.

ed2hess
06-11-2013, 10:07 PM
You have a cracked fuel filter housing. I went thru that about 30k miles ago.

That is what I see most often with google searches. I can not see any fuel leaking on top.........but I do see a little wet on the wire to a sensor that is on the bottom of the filter? A very small amount. I will wipe it bone dry and see if it comes back.

ed2hess
06-11-2013, 10:20 PM
This is info from google search.....can someone tell me what auto mode means below:dizzy:

To Reset system

Adjusted the passenger side to full hot and the drivers side to full cold and put the system in auto mode.
Then, turned off the ignition and turned it back on. In auto mode you will see the fan speed auto adjusting up and down.
Then, I reversed the settings, drivers full hot (90) and the passenger full cold (60). Put it in auto mode and turn off the ignition and then back on.
The system started working correctly after that. My guess is that somehow the system looses its reference point for temperature, so a restart or two in auto mode will put it back in sync. Hope this helps.

Reset #2