PDA

View Full Version : The professional way to answer phone calls

LawnBoy627
07-27-2011, 11:21 AM
I know this sounds like a no brainer to some of you, but in your opinion what is the best way to answer phone calls from customers? Is there a sequence of questions you ask the customer?

ny scaper
07-27-2011, 01:02 PM
There is not much of a sequence over the phone. They want a # right then, but that is not smart. I would say, I appreciate your call and would like to look at the property before providing any estimate(s). When would be a good time for you? I would definitely tery and fit a prospective client in within one-two days max. They want an answer asap and wont wait around on you.
That way they get to meet you and you have more of a personal one on one with them. Small talk is a plus and you going out of your way and making the effort to check there place out so quickly may take you a long way.
Then ask questions - My first one would be what are there expectations for the lawn and why are they calling you now? Why did it not work out with the last guy? You can phrase that question in a way that you are asking because you want to make them happy. bag or no bag?, do they expect weekly cut, trim, etc.? day in week and time in day you'll be there matter?

ReddensLawnCare
07-27-2011, 01:36 PM
I agree with ny scaper about you asking the questions..something I tell any potential customers is that I am not the cheapest, or the most expensive, but I do great work and provide references without them even asking. I never give a price right of my cuff, i try to normally sleep on it one night atleast. When talking to the h/o it is vital to assess if they are going to be a pita, or a good customer. If they are a pita on the phone, they will be a pita in person, and about their yard. Charge accordingly b/c you will be out there more than you think over stupid stuff

ny scaper
07-27-2011, 02:28 PM
I agree with ny scaper about you asking the questions..something I tell any potential customers is that I am not the cheapest, or the most expensive, but I do great work and provide references without them even asking. I never give a price right of my cuff, i try to normally sleep on it one night atleast. When talking to the h/o it is vital to assess if they are going to be a pita, or a good customer. If they are a pita on the phone, they will be a pita in person, and about their yard. Charge accordingly b/c you will be out there more than you think over stupid stuff

What he said too is spot on. Lets you think "off" your feet.

allyear
07-28-2011, 12:29 PM
Well said ny scaper

LawnBoy627
07-28-2011, 01:24 PM
Thanks ny scaper! That helps alot!

MowHouston
07-28-2011, 09:33 PM
One question I always ask new customers: "Have you hired a lawn service company in the past or is this your first time?"

Helps me understand how many further questions I may need to ask or whether or not I might need to explain certain things to them.

If they say "yes". I ask why they've chosen to move to another company. I will then focus my attention on the aspects that they weren't happy about.

Helps a lot for me.

ReddensLawnCare
07-28-2011, 10:47 PM
One question I always ask new customers: "Have you hired a lawn service company in the past or is this your first time?"

Helps me understand how many further questions I may need to ask or whether or not I might need to explain certain things to them.

If they say "yes". I ask why they've chosen to move to another company. I will then focus my attention on the aspects that they weren't happy about.

Helps a lot for me.

VERY GOOD POINT:clapping::clapping::clapping:

MowHouston
07-28-2011, 10:55 PM
I originally came to post in this thread to answer what I thought was the original question: "How do you answer the phone?" as in, what is your greeting. It seems like most of the answers revolved around what questions to ask the customer.

When I answer the phone, I use this format which was used, in most part, when answering the phone in the military.

"Thank you for calling <Business Name>, this is <Your Name>. How can I help you?"

Useless fact: In the Air Force we were directed to answer the phones in the following manner:

<Squadron>, <Department>, <Rank and Name> speaking, How can I help you?

So its basically based off of that.

cpllawncare
07-28-2011, 11:25 PM
I originally came to post in this thread to answer what I thought was the original question: "How do you answer the phone?" as in, what is your greeting. It seems like most of the answers revolved around what questions to ask the customer.

When I answer the phone, I use this format which was used, in most part, when answering the phone in the military.

"Thank you for calling <Business Name>, this is <Your Name>. How can I help you?"

Useless fact: In the Air Force we were directed to answer the phones in the following manner:

<Squadron>, <Department>, <Rank and Name> speaking, How can I help you?

So its basically based off of that.

I so remember those days as well LOL! Good way to do it though!

weeze
07-29-2011, 11:39 AM
i usually start off by saying "Hello?"

i don't get into all of that proper professional way to run a business BS....if i ever get big enough i'll hire a secretary to do all of the fake stuff like that lol...i'm just down to earth with people and talk to them like i would with my family or friends.

ReddensLawnCare
07-29-2011, 02:45 PM

i don't get into all of that proper professional way to run a business BS....if i ever get big enough i'll hire a secretary to do all of the fake stuff like that lol...i'm just down to earth with people and talk to them like i would with my family or friends.

Without being to much of a jerk, you dont need to worry about getting "big enough" with that mindset. Maybe this isnt your full time gig, but every time I answer the phone, if it is a number i do not recognize, I ALWAYS say Good morning/evening this is Andrew with Reddens Lawn care, how can I help you. If I where to say hello. Whos this? what you want? ok. hang up, I would highly doubt I would have any high end residential contracts. Just think about that b/c the way you present yourself on the phone is how you customers make their first impression :waving:

MowHouston
07-29-2011, 09:26 PM

I answer the phone in a way that lets them know I am taking their phone call in a professional manner.

I don't act like I am a big corporation. I speak to them as friends and I often have hour long conversations with some of my current customers.

The initial phone call fits right in there with first impressions.

Agape
07-30-2011, 02:02 PM
when the phone rings i'm usually out working and run to the phone sweaty and half out of breath so I do say "hello, this is Don" but I don't go out of my way to do a big introduction and I usually beat the delay on my phone so sometimes people just get "is Don"...

I'm going to try to be more prof. on the phone from now on and treat it like a business call....Good stuff.:weightlifter:

EquityGreen
07-31-2011, 11:00 AM
I say, equity green lawn care this is James. And boom they all buy, 100% closing hehe.
Posted via Mobile Device

Patriot Services
07-31-2011, 11:14 AM
I say, equity green lawn care this is James. And boom they all buy, 100% closing hehe.
Posted via Mobile Device

Then your probably too cheap. 100% closing rate indicates that.
The wife handles all the phone interactions. Lots of questions help weed out tire kickers and price shoppers.
Posted via Mobile Device

PLS-Tx
07-31-2011, 04:09 PM

Helps a lot for me.

This is what I do as well, if I find out they have had several other lawn services I know I something is not right.

EquityGreen
08-01-2011, 09:05 AM
Then your probably too cheap. 100% closing rate indicates that.
The wife handles all the phone interactions. Lots of questions help weed out tire kickers and price shoppers.
Posted via Mobile Device

I was kidding obviously, and no we are the 2nd most expensive fertilizing company in town. We mianly fertilize, we only mow 55 accts weekly.
Posted via Mobile Device

EquityGreen
08-01-2011, 09:07 AM
I handle all the phones, its easier to get a feel for potential new customers. I trust and value my employees to get the job done right the first time, my time is better spend doing biz stuff and selling.
Posted via Mobile Device

weeze
08-01-2011, 01:53 PM
Without being to much of a jerk, you dont need to worry about getting "big enough" with that mindset. Maybe this isnt your full time gig, but every time I answer the phone, if it is a number i do not recognize, I ALWAYS say Good morning/evening this is Andrew with Reddens Lawn care, how can I help you. If I where to say hello. Whos this? what you want? ok. hang up, I would highly doubt I would have any high end residential contracts. Just think about that b/c the way you present yourself on the phone is how you customers make their first impression :waving:

what you said has no affect on how many customers i get...it doesn't steer them away to just answer the phone like an ordinary person would with a simple hello....my business phone is also my personal phone...i'm pretty happy being so called "unprofessional"...that's the way i like it.