PDA

View Full Version : Question about landscape fabric

Lawnut101
07-27-2011, 02:17 PM
We have done an install and for some reason a few weeds are popping through the fabric. We didn't use the home cheapo crap either. Any suggestions as to what we did wrong?

Fordsuvparts
07-27-2011, 02:26 PM
Nothing, that happens with any fabric. Most of the time they start around the cut outs for the plants or where it over laps. Weed spray the areas and don't worry, some of the larger weeds can grow through just about anything, kill the roots and a little monthly maintenance will solve it.

JDiepstra
07-27-2011, 02:29 PM
Agree.....
Posted via Mobile Device

Lawnut101
07-27-2011, 03:15 PM
Ok guys. That is what I plan to do. I feel better now.

Brant

Bigred350
07-27-2011, 09:56 PM
Just dont ever use it. Its a waste of money and its ugly because no matter how thick of rock/mulch you put over it, you still see it.

THEGOLDPRO
07-27-2011, 10:00 PM
Yea the fabric is a complete waste of money, and time. Only noobs install fabric for people thinking it will work.

93Chevy
07-27-2011, 10:02 PM
Only use fabric under gravel with the purpose to keep the gravel from sinking into the dirt underneath.

White Gardens
07-28-2011, 12:01 AM
Only use fabric under gravel with the purpose to keep the gravel from sinking into the dirt underneath.

Exactly. I only use it as a barrier for rock and that's it. Never do I call it weed control.

If you've got weeds, and your fabric has been installed correctly with a good 2-3 inch overlap at the seams and fabric pins, then the weeds are coming from the whatever mulch you used.

Even the cleanest gravel, or the best composted mulch will have weed seed in it.

93Chevy
07-28-2011, 06:48 AM
Exactly. I only use it as a barrier for rock and that's it. Never do I call it weed control.

If you've got weeds, and your fabric has been installed correctly with a good 2-3 inch overlap at the seams and fabric pins, then the weeds are coming from the whatever mulch you used.

Even the cleanest gravel, or the best composted mulch will have weed seed in it.

Yep...weed seeds can still germinate in actual mulch and any silt that may be in with the gravel.

DIXIECONTRACTING
07-28-2011, 12:04 PM
Weed fabric is a waste of money leave it for the homeowners. Weeds will grow through and or on top of the fabric so just spray or apply some treflan or other ground sterilizer to keep everything looking nice.

LoweJ82
07-28-2011, 01:37 PM
I never use it with mulch, way before there growing through the fabric they will be growing in the mulch itself. Always with rock more so that it doesn't settle down into the dirt.

the stuff you get at any box store is poo, you can read a news paper through it, I use the stuff from the landscape yard and its a nylon like woven material like grass seed sacks are made from then it has a felt like fabric on one side its pretty tough stuff.

nobagger
07-28-2011, 02:43 PM
We use Ty-Par fabric when and if we install fabric. I think its helps quite a bit. I'd rather pull an occasional weed rooted in just the mulch verses digging out the deep rooted weeds any day. Your going to get weeds no matter what you do wether it be laying down fabric or pre-emergent or whatever.

Glenn Lawn Care
07-28-2011, 06:03 PM
With mulch, most of the time the weeds with grow on top of fabric. With mulch fabic defeats the purpose of mulch, mulch controls weeds. Try taking old newspaper and use that as fabric. Just wet the paper down after you lay it and then add the mulch.... the paper with rot away over a short period of time.... and it works really well and cheap.

Mark Oomkes
07-28-2011, 06:34 PM
We have done an install and for some reason a few weeds are popping through the fabric. We didn't use the home cheapo crap either. Any suggestions as to what we did wrong?

You bought into the BS that fabric actually works and then installed it. One of the biggest scams in the world.

Agreed

Not necessarily. The crap just doesn't work. I have it in my holding area 3-4 layers thick, overlapping, criss-cross, the good stuff and I have weeds continue to grow through it. Every year.

Weed fabric is a waste of money leave it for the homeowners. Weeds will grow through and or on top of the fabric so just spray or apply some treflan or other ground sterilizer to keep everything looking nice.

Probably not a ground sterilizer, but a pre-emergent is a good idea.

We use Ty-Par fabric when and if we install fabric. I think its helps quite a bit. I'd rather pull an occasional weed rooted in just the mulch verses digging out the deep rooted weeds any day. Your going to get weeds no matter what you do wether it be laying down fabric or pre-emergent or whatever.

See above, I have it several layers thick and get weeds coming right through every year.

Have you ever had to redo a landscape with this crap? If you think it was OK before, it's even worse when trying to remove it under mulch and plants and decomposition.

GreenT
07-28-2011, 09:54 PM
You bought into the BS that fabric actually works and then installed it. One of the biggest scams in the world.

I think that's too broad a statement Mark. My experience in Florida, with our sandy soils, requires the use of HD fabric to prevent any rock mulch from sinking in. I can't testify for soils in WI or OK though. :)

We actively try to discourage clients from using rock mulch whenever possible, many plants do not thrive under it. Drainage issues is a separate matter all together and most times rock is the only way to go.

Mark Oomkes
07-29-2011, 08:20 AM
I think that's too broad a statement Mark. My experience in Florida, with our sandy soils, requires the use of HD fabric to prevent any rock mulch from sinking in. I can't testify for soils in WI or OK though. :)

We actively try to discourage clients from using rock mulch whenever possible, many plants do not thrive under it. Drainage issues is a separate matter all together and most times rock is the only way to go.

Not sure if I forgot, but I do use it under stones, just as the others mentioned. It still will not eliminate weeds, but this is the one valid use for landscape fabric.

I apologize for not spelling that out.