PDA

View Full Version : Question for all of you Momentum FX2 users

ChicagoLawn
07-27-2011, 02:56 PM
Hello,

I have been using Momentum FX and now FX2 over the last 10 years+ with very good results. Over that time I have been using Lesco spreader sticker regularly to enhance herbicide bond to weed foilage in my skid tanks, perma green and even back pack sprayers.

My question is have you had "just as good" results without the use of a sticker? If by chance acceptable, what is lost then without the use of a sticker?

Even though the Momentum label does not state the need for a sticker I was just curious if anyone has some long term feedback. Actually, since my last run(with no sticker - a few days ago) it seems that my Perma Green Ultra screens are not getting clogged as much either. This is a very welcome surprise.

I will throw in one more question if I can. Do you think the fine spray pattern of a perma green will dry to be more or less rainfast within 1 hour without the use of a sticker?

Thanks again and I look forward to any information you would be willing to share.

Joe

RigglePLC
07-27-2011, 11:05 PM
Myself, I think the Lesco wet is really a surfactant or wetting agent. I don't think it actually sticks anything. According to my experiments 45 minutes is plenty of time for herbicide to be absorbed, (before rain). In my view, a surfactant wets the leaves and stems of the weed more completely. And this is particularly helpful with waxy leaves or hairy weeds. A surfactant is good in a skid sprayer--but it costs almost as much as the herbicide. Its a good idea in back packs or Permagreen applications as the cost is tiny in this situation. I don't see how it would cause clogging of the nozzles--no problem in my Ultra. However I had some foaming problems at times--used a foam breaker.

Momentum has had some crystalization problems a few times in the past--but Lesco has cleared up such problems.

ChicagoLawn
07-27-2011, 11:41 PM
Thank you for the reply.

Actually, I have yet to use Lesco Wet(in particular). I have included the label for the material that I used previously in all tank, perma green and back pack applications.

http://www.lesco.com/NoCompression/GetData.aspx?Type=ProdResource&ID=6751&.pdf

I think 45 minutes after application sounds very reasonable in regard to the herbicide becoming rain resistant.

I have also found foaming to be problem at times. I usually just add some Recede (another Lesco/John Deere product) and all is good.

Thank you,

Joe

alpine627
07-28-2011, 08:05 AM
I have had great results with Momentum with and without sticker. Like

someone stated earlier sticker is so cheap with a rideon or back pack why not

use it. Peace of mind for me. The hot weather we have been having in MI. not

really necessary.

RigglePLC
07-28-2011, 03:12 PM
http://www.herbicide-adjuvants.com/cgi-bin/adjdb.cgi?db=adjproductview&uid=&prodkeyword=Organo-Silicone%20Surfactant&view_records=1&sb=3&so=ascend&ww=on&ProductValidated=Yes
Chicago lawn, yes that is the product I was thinking about. (Label calls it a wetting-agent in smaller print.)
I have used "Drench" and "Break-thru" and similar silicone surfactants (plus soap). I felt they were helpful. However, maybe this requires another experiment on my micro turf research center. I don't have any silicone surfactant any more, but maybe I can compare a product with and without surfactant. Weeds available are oxalis, ground ivy, clover, violets and more.

ChicagoLawn
07-28-2011, 03:23 PM
Riggle,

Ok, I understand.

If you can stage a live experiment (during this time/current weather pattern) would be great. You really could not have picked a better group of broadleaf to test (ground ivy, clover and violet). Can I be of any help to you?

Thanks again for your help and I look forward to your reply.

Joe