PDA

View Full Version : how many miles is to much?

SECTLANDSCAPING
07-27-2011, 03:43 PM
I was just looking at a 97 f350 and I like it a lot but it has 240,000 on it. Its a auto, gas 5.8. If I pick it up ill drive less then 6000 miles a year. I do need a beefier truck my midsize isnt cutting it for some jobs.

I always buy used vehicles but stay away from ones with 150k miles. Whats your thoughts on this? Buy the truck thats at the end of its life. Use it while I can or spend a hell of a lot more? For a comparison my midsize has 143k but the frame has serious rust issues and It needs more work then the asking price of the other truck.

Barrett Landscaping
07-27-2011, 04:47 PM
always invest in good dependable machines that will never leave you hanging.

SECTLANDSCAPING
07-27-2011, 04:57 PM
always invest in good dependable machines that will never leave you hanging.

Thats kinda why Im bargain hunting. Im trying to buy a Isuzu cab over with a dump. There not cheap by no means. Even used Im looking at 20k.

mdlwn1
07-27-2011, 05:50 PM
That 5.8 is a windsor motor I think.....mechanically those are one of best truck motors ever made...240k would not scare me a bit if the compression is within range (ill bet it is)
The problem can be in the electric and fuel system. Not that they arent reliable....they most certainly are...but it gets expensive if you don't fix yourself or know someone who works in them reasonably.

mowerbrad
07-27-2011, 08:13 PM
A little over a year ago, I was pretty seriously searching for a newer truck as the one I had was starting to nickel and dime me too much (only 140k on it or so). Starting out, I was looking for a diesel truck (around a 2004+/- year vehicle). Originally I didn't want to spend too much money and really was looking at vehicles with 150k on them. But after lots of questioning on here and talking with my mechanics, I was steered away from higher mileage vehicels.

The problem with higher mileage trucks isn't the engine. There are plenty of engines out there that have good reputations (ie, 7.3L powerstroke, 6.0L GM vortec, etc). While the engines may be good for 250k+, you really have to think of the rest of the truck. What condition are the brakes and rotors in? How about wheelbearings, tie-rods, suspension components? What condition is the body in, areas that are starting to rust? There are plenty of components on a truck that start getting worn out on higher mileage vehicles. These things can add up fast and cost you quite a bit of money to fix.

So when I was looking, I went from originally looking at 150k+ mileage trucks, to lower mileage trucks. Ended up buying a 2007 truck with 51000 miles. I spent a lot more than I wanted to but I've been very happy with it.