PDA

View Full Version : 35 acres how much time?

bababooie
10-25-2002, 04:34 PM
35 acres of nice lawn pretty much flat all over,some rolling hills,scattered trees on the prop. probably going to use 1 guy 52" tiger cub,will need to trim also. thanks for your help. go browns

MacLawnCo
10-25-2002, 04:42 PM
I say 20-30 hrs.

Bunton Guy
10-25-2002, 05:05 PM
1,850 per cut 12 month contract everything added in. Wouldnt touch it with anything smaller than 72" cut. And it would most likely take you 2.5 days 10 hour days. I know a guy that does a harris teeter distribution center (grocery store chain) its 35 acres and it takes him 7 men 8 hours to get it done.

rodfather
10-25-2002, 05:16 PM
52" Tiger Cub for 35 acres? Whoa! Better not have anything else much planned for the week.

Like Bunton Guy said, I wouldn't touch it with anything smaller than a 72...or a couple of 61's. Just my opinion.

Doc Pete
10-25-2002, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by bababooie
35 acres of nice lawn pretty much flat all over,some rolling hills,scattered trees on the prop. probably going to use 1 guy 52" tiger cub,will need to trim also. thanks for your help. go browns

Walk away. If you have a breakdown without multiple mowers, you're dead in the water. If you get hurt, you're dead in the water. Unless you have good weather, you'll never get the job done, and you're dead in the water. Also, it's lawns like this that will burn you out faster than anything. Furthermore, You'd probably make more money on a smaller lawn, too. Let the guy's with the 16 foot "groundmasters" cut it. Part of mowing is having a "pace" you can live with and work day in and day out at.
Pete

LAWNGODFATHER
10-25-2002, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by Switchless@aol.com
Walk away. If you have a breakdown without multiple mowers, you're dead in the water. If you get hurt, you're dead in the water. Unless you have good weather, you'll never get the job done, and you're dead in the water.
Pete

Best thing I have seen on LS in a while.

You need to walk fast, don't even think about it.

I have a friend who has a friend I talked out of doing an $1800 a week cut job. He has 1 other person who works with him and a 52" 48" and 32" hydo mowers, horriable credit, etc.....

Job entailed 12 employees' 8 full hours (96 hours) of work to complete the job in one day, yes must be done in one day.

Day was Thursday, he wanted to go full boar on this, how was he going to get the equipment plus the guys, and get enough work for them the rest of the week.

Not going to heppen.

If you don't have the equipment, employees', or ablitity to do some thing like this in one day, you don't need to be bidding them.

Doc Pete
10-25-2002, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by LAWNGODFATHER

If you don't have the equipment, employees', or ablitity to do some thing like this in one day, you don't need to be bidding them.

Right on Mike. You need to have the right equipment if you want to play with the big dogs. I sure don't and realize it. Plus, we all want to "go fishing" on a nice day;) ;) With a lawn like that, it would be all work and no play.
Pete

Green Pastures
10-25-2002, 07:45 PM
I wouldn't touch it with anything less than 2 men on 72" deck Z-Masters . Even that would take 3.5 hours + trim time.

If I had the equipment I would do it for $1500 a cut if they wanted it cut bi-weekly or 18 cuts per year. Mow, trim and blow, I'd need a contract for 2 years.

Or $700 a cut if I cut every week. They could pay me $25,200.00 per year which is $2100.00 a month. I'd need a contract for two years to get this price. This price includes mowing, trim work and blow down.

I'd love to get a contract like this. Just sit on a mower getting $75 per man hour! SWEET.

Scott

Richard Martin
10-25-2002, 07:56 PM
Never put all of your eggs in one basket.

The loss of this one job could cost you your business. People wonder why I like to work the smaller 35 to 60 dollar jobs. The reason is simple, if I loose or let go of a job who cares? It certainly would not sink the ship. But if I had one large job that took days to do and I lost that how would I make my payments or mortgage?

Leave this job to the large companies that can afford to loose it.

Green Pastures
10-25-2002, 08:07 PM
If they would sign a 2 year contract I'd do it tomorrow. Read my signature, I dont have to worry, the Lord provides.

Scott

LAWNGODFATHER
10-25-2002, 08:14 PM
Can we please leave the religous belief out of the lawn care section?

Doc Pete
10-25-2002, 09:11 PM

As long as you stop advertizing for "Marlboro Country":D :D
Sorry, couldn't resist........

LAWNGODFATHER
10-25-2002, 09:13 PM
Who is? I don't smoke any more nor have I ever advertised a brand.:D

Jimbo
10-25-2002, 09:19 PM
Lawngodafather, and switchless actually getting along? I know the hard work for this season is over.

Jimbo
10-25-2002, 09:20 PM
Ooopppsss...wrote too soon. I knew it couldnt last.

Doc Pete
10-25-2002, 09:22 PM
Who is? I don't smoke any more nor have I ever advertised a brand.:D

And I'm proud of you my Son:D.

Doc Pete
10-25-2002, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by Jimbo
Lawngodafather, and switchless actually getting along? I know the hard work for this season is over.

After LGF learned I just had my "25th"....... He figured I'd been through enough pain, and decided to give me a break:p
Pete

Green Pastures
10-25-2002, 09:25 PM

No.

Scott

Jimbo
10-25-2002, 09:26 PM
Bababooie- I wouldnt touch it with a 52", and not with any engine thats not water-cooled. Thats one long day for an air-cooled Tiger Cub.

If you had a 72" with diesel engine and you could afford to lose the job once you got it; then go for it. I hate to turn someone away from a job that they can make decent money at.

I have lost some big ones in the past and it was scarey, but I pulled through. The key is to keep enough small jobs that you can live off them alone.

Jim

Doc Pete
10-25-2002, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by Richard Martin
Never put all of your eggs in one basket.

The loss of this one job could cost you your business. People wonder why I like to work the smaller 35 to 60 dollar jobs. .

You can always "fit in" those smaller jobs on Saturday, or before brunch on Sunday, or as needed. I love smaller jobs, also......
Pete

LAWNGODFATHER
10-25-2002, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by Green Pastures
I dont have to worry, the Lord provides.

Scott

So enlighten us how "he" will provide when the contract get's voided, or a severe drought comes?

Didn't he/she/it just not rain on your perade so to speek?

Contract or not some thing this big turns out to be a slow pay, you're in deep doo doo.

$3k to $4k a month missing turns into a big debt real fast.

MacLawnCo
10-25-2002, 10:03 PM
So enlighten us how "he" will provide when the contract get's voided, or a severe drought comes?

Didn't he/she/it just not rain on your perade so to speek?

Contract or not some thing this big turns out to be a slow pay, you're in deep doo doo.

$3k to $4k a month missing turns into a big debt real fast.

If God wants him to have the account, he will give it to him. God looks out for every one of his children and knows/wants what is best for them always. If he losses the account, there is a reason, and God will provide.

LAWNGODFATHER
10-25-2002, 10:10 PM
I guess I should change from being Jewish, cause no bread in the bank equils no food on the table, no roof over my head.

hustlers
10-25-2002, 10:15 PM
keep on preaching brothers

sounds boring to me!!!!!!!!!!!

Lawn Wizard
10-25-2002, 10:23 PM
If god wills doesnt will it, do I have to get out of bed tomorrow?

Green Pastures
10-25-2002, 10:55 PM
I'm not going to be drawn into a big argument on who or what God does or who God is.

I will say this, since He led me into this biz there have been numerous times when He took care of me and provided more that I had hoped for and expected. I know He will continue to do the same.

I was not saying I would take a big contract if that was all I could get. That would be foolish, eggs in one basket yadda, yadda. I was saying that NOW at this point in MY biz, I would love to get a contract like the one described above. I have a bunch of small contracts and a few medium size ones. One large one that would take all day would be a perfect expansion right now. I'd have to get another ZTR to do it, but I'm looking to get another ZTR this month anyway.

I dont mind that you think I'm a fool for believing in God, the Bible says that the Gospel sounds foolish to an unbeliever. And the Bible says I will be made fun of and even killed for my beliefs. I'm prepared, I dont take eternity lightly. I'm not a really brilliant man but I know this, there is not a person alive that can even begin to understand eternity.

I dont have to answer to you on judgement day, I have to answer to God. Meantime I will do what I think He wants me to do no matter what anybody thinks of me.

I will also not be ashamed of my beliefs. I did not just become a Christian because my mommy told me it was right, or because I was raised that way. I'm 37 years old and I've been down the highway to hell, drugs, sex, booze, lying, stealing etc. I found through experience that God's way is the way for ME.

So, if you do not like my references to God or my opinions based on my beliefs, and dont want to be annoyed or convicted by them, simply dont read them. America was founded by Godly men seeking a place where they could worship God as they saw fit. I'm going to excercise that right. Thanks for listening.

Scott

odin
10-25-2002, 11:03 PM
praise the lord But be sure to pass me the collection plate after sundays procedes have been collected up:D

LAWNGODFATHER
10-25-2002, 11:06 PM
It had nothing to do with religion in the first place.

One of the LS guidlines is no religous discussions.

Being that religion has nothing to do with Lawncare it does not belong in the commercial lawn care or any part of this forum other than off topic, but then again I guess I am wrong sence it is in here.

I have no problem with other religions, I thought the topic is lawncare not religion.

Since this one says religoin, I can be found in the lawn care forum.

Thanks for listening to me complain.:D

hlgmoney
10-25-2002, 11:23 PM
let me sell you a JD 1435 Diesel 72" - It's just what you need

HarryD
10-25-2002, 11:27 PM
nope im thinking he needs to go even bigger like the groundsmaster 580-d • 80 hp Turbo-Charged Mitsubishi® Diesel
• 16 Foot Cutting Width
• Proven Durability
• Traction-PlusTM System

says you can mow 14 1/2 acres a hour with this baby

heres a site with some used toros

http://www.centuryequip.com/turf/usedequip_cat.asp?Cat=5

http://www.toro.com/golf/mower/rough/gm580/580.html

AGG Lawn Maintenance
10-25-2002, 11:28 PM
Everyone seems to bring up some very good points. I wouldn't put all my eggs in one basket. Nor would I try to bid on this account with only 1 man and 1 mower. But if you have lets say about 80-100 other accounts and some good backing then go for it. Alot of these places want you to put up a bid bond. (10% or higher of the total bid) I would also sign a 3 year contract. Get your business lawyer to draw something up. Also find out the payment terms. 30 60 or 90 days. Thats why I said to make sure you have MANY other ACCOUNTS that are at least = to this one. (greater is ideal.) Good luck.
Travis

Currier
10-26-2002, 12:15 AM
All I know is that I get burned out out when I'm riding one property for even an hour! To me it would be murder to have to sit and bounce around and mowmowmowmowmow.

I'd be looking at all I still had to do and thinking "I still have to trim:("

I know the $$ should be the motivator but I guess what should really dictate your decision would be does this type of job fit with the goals you have for your business?

I tried some high $$ landscaping (at least for me) last year. Adding that extra stress onto an already tight mowing schedule has just about finished me off this year. I'll make it as we are now down to sprinkller winterizations. (thank God!...oh sorry)

My .02, Think long and hard about if this is a challenge you want. Maybe go walk around the perimeter 3 or 4 times and try to imagine the heat of summer. If you decide to do it go for it big and be very sucessfull!

nlminc
10-26-2002, 12:50 AM
I'm currently near the end of a 3 year town school contract that calls for mowing 30 acres a week. Most of which are athletic fields, some common areas around the buildings. I bought 2 72" Diesel DC's from the advice of Eric. My employee and I finish the job within 8hrs including trimming.
I thought about buying one of those Toro hydo 16' cutting width tractors. After I demoed it (had the dealer deliver it to the school for this!) I proved that the DC's would do the job in half the time. The Toro is just to big for some small areas and transporting it would be a nightmare. The DC's are smaller, faster and resale of a 72" diesel should be better. They both fit in an 8X20 enclosed trailer nicely.

Chris

LAWNGODFATHER
10-26-2002, 01:17 AM
Toro 16' wide...

DC's 12' wide side by side.

2 guys mowing in 8 hours is still 16 man hours.

This guy wants to do 35 acres with only a 52"!!!!!

52" deck at 80% is 4 acres an hour at 9.5 mph so it would take him 8.75 hours to mow minimum.

Realalistic numbers <----> 12 hours at 7 mph of just mowing.

nlminc
10-26-2002, 01:33 AM
We finish this 30 acre property in 8 hours with 2 72" Choppers taking our time and trimming around 3 school buildings and numerous trees/fences/walks. If we were to just mow and go the job would be finished in 4.5 hours.

Chris

DLCS
10-26-2002, 01:39 AM
You can't be serious, 35 acres with only a 52" ztr. I think I would stick to some smaller lawns. Your biting off more than you can chew on this one. Just my opinion.:eek:

LAWNGODFATHER
10-26-2002, 01:41 AM
OK your's are in line, about 3.34 acres an hour.

I got some help for you Mr 52" man.

Add this sucker and cut 1/3 your time off of it. 70" of mowing deck!!!!!

www.flex-deck.com

Phishook
10-26-2002, 02:07 AM
Too bad that side deck attachment don't fit a scag cub.

LAWNGODFATHER
10-26-2002, 02:14 AM
Originally posted by Phishook
Too bad that side deck attachment don't fit a scag cub. Why doesn't it?

It will fit almost any mower.

Phishook
10-26-2002, 02:34 AM
Why doesn't it?

It will fit almost any mower.

From the advertisments I've seen. It has been mounted on DC, exmark WB's, and JD. I'm sure if I was in use for one, I could get it to stick on the side of one of my decks, but would it work as well? Is ther diffrent pully sizes for diffrent decks?

LAWNGODFATHER
10-26-2002, 02:43 AM
It was origanily on JD then DC then Exmark.

None of which have the same size or height of pullies.

Matching it up to your deck is not a problem, nor is finding a match in pullies.

Phishook
10-26-2002, 02:51 AM
So if I ordered one for my 48 encore wb, it wouldn't be a problem?

Just slap it on and go.

LAWNGODFATHER
10-26-2002, 03:18 AM
Close................contact Brad who is Flex-deck.

Also on the www.flex-deck.com web site, is a down loadable pdf file you can look at on how it is mounted.

Flex-Deck
10-26-2002, 07:48 PM
phishook - send me a couple of pictures of your mower deck and your name and address and phone # - We can now fit most decks-I just need some measurements

thanks, brad

f350
10-26-2002, 08:43 PM
we get an invitation to bid yearly for the city parks. there is total of 319acres that has to be done in 6 days between the hours of 7am and 6pm. when we put the bid pack together for the first time we were going to run 3 72" lazers and the 4th guy was going to run a 36" w/b for detail. now do the math on what equipment and a trailer would cost. we were pushing 50k. now what the city failed to mention was in a drought situation the parks will not be cut.... ok well they got cut 2 times this year thats it.. imagine if you had a 50k note with no revenue to cover it.

what you are thinking is a pipe dream.

cantoo
10-26-2002, 08:48 PM
I bid on a school job like this two years ago, they wouldn't even look at my bid because I wasn't using a Tractor and rear mount mower.. Idiots. Then again the guy that "won" the bid was using a Ford Tractor with 6' bush hog on the back and priced it at Can $28.00 per hour. This is US$17.86 per hour. Over here they insist on bidding hourly rates not per cut prices.