PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on a commecial grade mower

mtyson227
10-25-2002, 04:46 PM
Hello all,

I'm a newbie here and looking for advice. I'm buying a property with 1 acre slightly slanted. I was going to look for a regular residential mower, but a guy I met in my current neighborhood has offered to sell me his commercial mower. He just moved in and doesn't need it anymore because our HOA does the lawn maintenance.

Anyway...its a Deines Marty-J 1800-HT. I'm not sure on the HT part but its something like that. He said its 18hp, 60inch deck. It looks very nice and clean. He just had the maintenace done with all the belts replaced earlier this year. It's 8 years old and has 321 hours on it (very low I would assume). He is offering it too me for $1800. He said it was about $9000 new.

I know thats a lot of mower for 1 acre, but it would be nice to complete my lawn in an hour instead of 3. Having the ZTR would be nice also.

Do any of you know anything about this mower and/or think this is a good deal or not?

Thanks in advance,

Matt

WREBELMACHINE
11-09-2002, 09:14 AM
I had one of those years ago, not to bad of a mower! mine was a 18hp onan with a 50" deck, it cut really good but was slow compared to the other machines that we had at that time. Price sounds decent make sure you have a dealer for service! They are not really that easy to work on especially engine work!

GOOD LUCK!

mtyson227
11-09-2002, 09:28 AM
Thanks for the advice. It is acutally an 1800-KT, not ht. I am going to purchase it. It has a kohler command 18hp engine which from what I know a decent engine. There is a somewhat local shop that will come out and pick-up the mower to work on it so hopefully I won't have any problems with that. Hopefully I'll get a good 8 - 10 years out of it by keeping the maintenance up-to-date.

Matt