PDA

View Full Version : Grass Clippings and Yard Waste?

Darb
10-25-2002, 06:09 PM
So what do you do with all the clippings that you haul off? Was thinking of a Walker but all the bags would really sound like another time consuming task. Is it that much of a time eater?
Darb

rross
10-25-2002, 06:37 PM
WAlker are wonderful, yea, like you said only if you have time to haul away. Mulching is the number 1 on the list for me..Go Exmark!!!

CMerLand
10-25-2002, 06:52 PM
Check around your community as there may be a recycling center in your area that collects the clippings if your local government doesnt. Im lucky as heck to have a township run facilty that accepts, grass, brush, concrete oil tires etc not only from contractors but primarily from the township residents. We pay a dump fee to use the site but its money well spent.

CMerrick

walker-talker
10-25-2002, 07:28 PM
Check with people in the neighborhood with gardens. I have a garden and put much of the grass that I collect there. After I get my fill I start taking to my friends. I don't collect year round, except for a few small accounts. My friend has a skid steer and we are thinking of starting a huge compost pile here on my property. I live in the city, but my backyard is about 3/4 of an acre.

MATT

Mr_Marc
10-25-2002, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by walker-talker
Check with people in the neighborhood with gardens. I have a garden and put much of the grass that I collect there. After I get my fill I start taking to my friends. I don't collect year round, except for a few small accounts. My friend has a skid steer and we are thinking of starting a huge compost pile here on my property. I live in the city, but my backyard is about 3/4 of an acre.

MATT

Be very careful about accepting yard waste at your home. I donít know about your area but in south Florida you need to have the right permits State and Local or your goanna get fined or a lien on you property. Do your homework.

Just my .04 due to inflation

Green Pastures
10-25-2002, 08:08 PM
We have a recycling center here in Newport News right next to the dump. They use the yard waste and treated waste-water make Nutragreen. It's FREE!

The Walker bags are the only way to go. They cost $2.00 each, but they are thick and durable. I got three when I bought the Walker about two weeks ago, they are holding up great. They fit the hopper very well. I talked to some of the other guys in the area who have Walkers who said they could not find anyone who stocked a bag that fit/worked better.

I love my Walker.

Scott

LLMSERVICE
10-25-2002, 10:07 PM
I use a combination of the compost pile at our dump or using clients own composters.

In my community, they charge to use the compost pile at the landfill site-the same tonnage as regular trash. In the past, I have also used rural lots (with the owner's permission of course!) I was starting to have problems with other people accessing the site and dumping tires, etc.

Now I mainly use the landfill and charge back to the client unless their compost piles can handle it.

Darb
10-26-2002, 04:10 AM
Like I said before, hauling it to the dump seems like a big time eater. I would really have to bill accordingly if I had a Walker or Walker style mower. I don't know of any dumps in the area... they always try to locate them away from the $$$ property.

On the other hand if I mulch, it is better for the grass.

I still would like to hear some of the creative ways you get rid of your yard waste.
Darb

Ax Man
10-26-2002, 10:09 AM
I bought my Walker for this time of year where here in the north east the leaves get deep.
I am looking out the window at 8" of soaking wet leaves that have fallen in the last 2 days
(hard frost followed by hard rain) I would guess that 30% are still on the trees.
However in another area I work (almost 2 zones warmer because of elevation) The leaves are just stating to drop.
All I gather goes to a private mulching facility where it is stirred bi weekly then sold back to my customers. I have found that grass clipping when blended with leaves break down much faster than either of them do separately.
For me the Walker is the only way to fly. I've tried mulching, but when our grass takes off in the spring, you can't keep up with it mulching. So I discharge on open lawns or collect in my fancy lawn areas.
Demo Demo Demo.

gravedigger5
10-26-2002, 11:28 AM
I still would like to hear some of the creative ways you get rid of your yard waste. Darb, I don't collect alot a grass clippings, but I do get some, and lots of leaves. I store them onto a big pile until winter/early spring. Then I load them up in a old manure spreader and spread them on a 15 acre field I have next to my yard. I try to get this done before the guy comes to till the field sometime in the spring. Recently BTW I have been in contact with a friend who is getting into raising earthworms and was considering the compost as a food sorce for the worms. Another gentleman I talked with about compost said he paid $500 for a semi load to put on his tomato field! :eek: I think there is money to be made in everything, just need to figure how to market it.;) JMHO Marc