PDA

View Full Version : Out of Business in NE Ohio due to Thieves!

Trueblue108
07-28-2011, 10:38 AM
Through steel security doors, dead bolts, padlocked overhead doors, some jerks made off with $61,000 in equipment. Truck, trailer, two Z's, aerator, 2-cycle equipment, and tons of other stuff, gone overnight. Other than Craigslist, Ebay, Equipment Trader, and Ohio Farm and Dairy, does anyone know of any on-line classified or auction sites in NE Ohio where I can look for my stuff?

Brian

GravyTrain
07-28-2011, 10:59 AM
I'm hoping it was all insured....

Trueblue108
07-28-2011, 11:13 AM
Yes, all insured. Fortunately the equipment was insured up to 'replacement cost', so I can be replaced relatively easily once the claim is settled. Unfortunatley the truck will be depreciated and I can't afford another new truck payment right now. I just really want to catch these guys!

JDiepstra
07-28-2011, 11:36 AM
Sorry and good luck. Get yourself a decent used truck. I love a nice 2nd gen Dodge.
Posted via Mobile Device

Fox Landscape Services
07-28-2011, 12:31 PM
Sorry to hear that. I also got my equipment stolen back in April. Who do you have insurance with? Mine won't provide replacement coverage. Every company I've spoken with depreciates all equipment therefore anything older than a few years they won't pay enough for much help.

andersontl2
07-28-2011, 01:07 PM
Hate to hear about your stuff, but I would also keep an eye on the pawn shops...If they stole all that stuff and they are smart (God I hope their not) then they won't be selling that stuff around town. Good Luck and hope you get them, kick em in the face for me when you find out who did it!

topsites
07-28-2011, 02:24 PM
Lessons learned...

All that security, and you didn't write down the serial numbers of your equipment,
now don't get me wrong but if you were to find one or more of these, how would
you prove they were truly yours?
Legally speaking, there is nothing you can do unless you can prove it's yours.
Looks to be yours and appearances alone may not be enough.

That was my biggest problem when I had my blower stolen, is I couldn't tell from the side of the road which
one was mine, certainly a streak of some wild color spray paint would have helped greatly but even then...

Walk up to a thief I know is holding my equipment...
What do I say to the guy?

I say it's mine, he says it's not!
And what if it isn't?

Say six months pass by, the equipment gets sold and is being used daily getting more wear and tear put on
until I drive past and spot what looks to be one of my pieces one day.
With a few more scratches than were there, how can I still be 100% sure it's mine?

Thief or rightful owner, I approach and politely confront the man, then he (also politely) tells me he bought this
piece of equipment in 2003 which he has owned ever since he started his business!
Coincidence that it happens to be the same year and model as the one I had stolen, or is it his or mine?
Whom does it really belong to, and how can I tell?

Legally, there is nothing I can do unless I can prove it's mine.

To all of you who still have your stuff:
Take a pad and pen, and walk around right now and write down the make, model, and serial number of every thing you own!
Then keep that information in a safe place.

hammmerhead
07-28-2011, 02:25 PM
Yes, all insured. Fortunately the equipment was insured up to 'replacement cost', so I can be replaced relatively easily once the claim is settled. Unfortunatley the truck will be depreciated and I can't afford another new truck payment right now. I just really want to catch these guys!

That sucks! Sorry to hear. Are you worried about your Insurance carrier raising the premium after this claim?

All_Toro_4ME
07-28-2011, 03:28 PM
What's messed up about a situation like this is theft is actually a "strike" against you in the eyes of the insurance company. Only thing that doesn't count as a "strike" are acts of God. It blows but I'd check with every pawn shop in your area within like 50-75 mile radius. Dewalt has a unit out now called the MobileLock you might look into. It certainly wont prevent them from stealing your stuff but it will definately help you find it.

www.dewaltmobilelock.com

Puddle of Oil
07-28-2011, 04:24 PM
That sucks man. Do you have any pics of your rig? I'm only 20 minutes south of you, I could keep my eye out for you. I use to work for a big company just north of you and when they got their truck and trailer stolen, the thiefs just abandoned the truck and trailer and took the equipment. Best of Luck to ya!

MR-G
07-29-2011, 01:45 AM
gps systems have come down in costs quite a bit...we use tracking features and mapping (real time) and have each truck and all of our ztr's fitted with it...we use it primarily for keeping track of our crews times in the field...but will most definately be helpful if ever stolen....i feel your pain as we too had a big loss due to theft back in 06.....been using the gps ever since..we also have car alarms on each truck and in each trailer...24hr video on 4 cameras recording onto a dvr as well as a infra red perimeter detection system that will call my cellphone if tripped...can also watch cams from phone...i admit its a little overkill maybe but after youve been hit you tend to get a little carried away...lol

Capemay Eagle
08-01-2011, 03:03 PM
gps systems have come down in costs quite a bit...we use tracking features and mapping (real time) and have each truck and all of our ztr's fitted with it...we use it primarily for keeping track of our crews times in the field...but will most definately be helpful if ever stolen....i feel your pain as we too had a big loss due to theft back in 06.....been using the gps ever since..we also have car alarms on each truck and in each trailer...24hr video on 4 cameras recording onto a dvr as well as a infra red perimeter detection system that will call my cellphone if tripped...can also watch cams from phone...i admit its a little overkill maybe but after youve been hit you tend to get a little carried away...lol I was going to say the samething! LoJack could be a good investment! I don't think it is overkill at all, I think you are smart!

Sorry to hear about your losses, nothing on this Earth pisses me off worse than a scumbag who steals a working mans equipment! Theft is out of control and it is getting worse, it is time for lawmakers to start making stiffer penalties. Obviously you were up against a pro and most likely you are not going to recover it, not to many people going through that hassle to steal equipment, they knew what they were doing! I would certainly look into LoJack or some other security devise! I hope everything works out for you!

LoJack Commercial.
http://www.lojack.com/fleet/Pages/fleet-commercial.aspx

A Leaf Above
08-14-2011, 06:26 PM
Statefarm inland marine policy ...FULL REPLACEMENT (not depreciated)for like 12 bux per thousand insured ....250 deductible .......Best insurance company on the planet :) ...fast payers and they have offices i can walk into to actually talk to someone face to face ...i will never use an insurance company that i cant have a personal relationship with ...

Sorry to hear that. I also got my equipment stolen back in April. Who do you have insurance with? Mine won't provide replacement coverage. Every company I've spoken with depreciates all equipment therefore anything older than a few years they won't pay enough for much help.

Springmeadows
08-24-2011, 09:45 PM
Sorry to hear about your equipment getting stolen. Stiffer penalties? I would say good luck making it off my property without catching a small speeding piece of lead...

Trueblue108
08-25-2011, 06:22 PM
Lessons learned...

All that security, and you didn't write down the serial numbers of your equipment,
now don't get me wrong but if you were to find one or more of these, how would
you prove they were truly yours?
Legally speaking, there is nothing you can do unless you can prove it's yours.
Looks to be yours and appearances alone may not be enough.

Topsite, not sure where you got that, but we're on top of our equipment inventory. Serial numbers have all been entered into NCIC on the off chance they are recovered. We have every receipt, repair log, and serial number for any equipment over $250.

Trueblue108
08-25-2011, 06:35 PM
Well, a lot has happened these past few weeks. First of all, the truck was recovered on the east side of Cleveland. A few dents and dings more than when it left, but otherwise ok. These guys were smart, took the battery out of the cell phone (knew we could ping it), took the fuel card but didn't dare use it, and only took the front plate off (not unusual to see vehicles without front plates). Furthermore, they left my FOP plate on the back (I'm a cop) probably knowing that most cops don't run other FOP plates.

While initially reassured by the insurance company, we've begun a fight to get some of what we lost replaced. They decided to depreciate all of the scheduled equipment and I've spent countless hours proving what shape my equipement was in. We're making some headway, though.

Baker Vehicle Systems in Macedonia, Ohio!!!! Can't say enough about this company. I contacted the sales guy, Ron Wolfe, and told him what happened. He lended us two brand new 2011 Hustler Super Z's, no questions asked and free of charge, to get through the hump. Without them, we would have been in some deep do-do...

Ironically, we have been talking about getting GPS tracking units for each of our three trucks. We signed the contract for 3 years through Advantrack the day before our shop was broken in to, receiving them four days later. Talk about a day late and a few thousand dollars short. It's installed and is AWESOME. Check them out

http://www.shadowtrackerlive.com/Home.aspx

I've been on Craigslist, Ohio Farm & Dairy, Ebay, Equipment Trader, etc. nearly every day. No luck on the equipment. I'm most pissed off about my new aerator and two snow blowers because they weren't on our policy yet. Live and learn, I guess.

Thanks for all your well wishes!

Glenn Lawn Care
08-31-2011, 03:50 PM
Hopefully you find out who did this!

LegendaryLawns
09-18-2011, 08:44 PM
kinda crazy you got hit after you signed up with Advantrack, but before you got the equipment....
call me crazy, but it wouldnt hurt to ask them if they have had any other of the same situation happen before....
seems like a good targeting too to hit someone whos spending on some security....

Turf Tracer
09-23-2011, 09:33 PM
Yea that happened to me also.

My stuff stolen the day before a security install.

Turns out it was a guy who worked at the store.

Hope you get your stuff back and the thief gets killed dead.

Trueblue108
10-24-2011, 11:21 AM
kinda crazy you got hit after you signed up with Advantrack, but before you got the equipment....
call me crazy, but it wouldnt hurt to ask them if they have had any other of the same situation happen before....
seems like a good targeting too to hit someone whos spending on some security....

Nothing other than coincidence, I'm afraid. We had the GPS units shipped to our home, which is a different location than our shop. I just wish we had pulled the trigger last year and put them in then. We absolutely love them now. I even caught an employee freelancing with my equipment knowing full well that I had installed the units in the trucks!

Trueblue108
10-24-2011, 11:24 AM
Well, we got the call from our insurance company, State Auto, to tell us they were not renewing our policy. Just wonderful, right? When all was said and done, we had about $40,000 in losses and were reimbursed about $31,000. We will have to eat approx $9k, struggle to find a new insurance company, and pay out the nose for higher rates.

What companies do you guys use and give me your impressions, please?

B

all ferris
10-24-2011, 09:28 PM
typical insurance company....you buy insurance for situations like stolen equipment...but heaven forbid if you actually make a claim. They fight tooth and nail to not pay you for your claim and then they drop you after the claim.

OneLineAtATime
01-30-2012, 07:50 AM
Theres a ad on Columbus C.L stolen equipment.. i posted it on here., We have State Farm you pick the price to cover. All mine is covered for more than its worth.. We love our insurance, laid back policy ever. I have been thinking of some low jack type system. We got robed at a garden show during tear down last year. $800 cash laptop with everything on it, and my lead book from the show 30 leads for hardscapes... Killed my year, it was another company that did it..

LawnMan19
02-07-2012, 06:14 PM
Hate to hear about your stuff, but I would also keep an eye on the pawn shops...If they stole all that stuff and they are smart (God I hope their not) then they won't be selling that stuff around town. Good Luck and hope you get them, kick em in the face for me when you find out who did it!

Why just kick them in the face, why stop there ?

straightlineland
02-17-2012, 12:17 AM
I have had numerous trucks and trailers stolen over the years. 5 trucks to be exact. We have gotten 3 of them back thanks to gps. I urge all of you guys to consider getting gps. We us fleetmatics. Awesome system as well. System will notify you of start-up on your smart phone. The last guy who thought it would be fun to take one of my trucks was apprehended within an 1 hour.

basic lawn
09-19-2012, 07:22 PM
What's messed up about a situation like this is theft is actually a "strike" against you in the eyes of the insurance company. Only thing that doesn't count as a "strike" are acts of God. It blows but I'd check with every pawn shop in your area within like 50-75 mile radius. Dewalt has a unit out now called the MobileLock you might look into. It certainly wont prevent them from stealing your stuff but it will definately help you find it.

www.dewaltmobilelock.com

WEll I was thinking about the idea of hiding a cell phone somewhere in/under trailer/ mower, or /truck , and if stolen you can trace with some sort of gps locator program"

Another possible solution:
How about those tags they use on dogs or other animals? We should be able to conceal it in trailer or mower? I do not have exact solution, just pondering.

Does this make sense?

eatonpcat
09-21-2012, 04:28 PM
WEll I was thinking about the idea of hiding a cell phone somewhere in/under trailer/ mower, or /truck , and if stolen you can trace with some sort of gps locator program"

How about those tags they use on dogs or other animals? We should be able to conceal it in trailer or mower? I do not have exact solution, just pondering.

Does this make sense?

Maybe just tie a long string to the truck, then when you notice it's gone, just follow the string from your shop to the crook!:laugh:

ELS Landscape
09-21-2012, 06:02 PM

Does this make sense?

This actually sounds like a brilliant idea. Not so much as a tracer as it is something to identify the EQ.

clydebusa
09-21-2012, 06:04 PM
[QUOTE=Trueblue108;4109985]Through steel security doors, dead bolts, padlocked overhead doors, some jerks made off with $61,000 in equipment. Truck, trailer, two Z's, aerator, 2-cycle equipment, and tons of other stuff, gone overnight. Other than Craigslist, Ebay, Equipment Trader, and Ohio Farm and Dairy, does anyone know of any on-line classified or auction sites in NE Ohio where I can look for my stuff?

Brian[/QUOTE
Local pawn shops.

John_DeereGreen
09-22-2012, 06:53 PM
Glad to hear you got the part that you needed the most back...thieves got me in June and it wasn't a full time machine, just a spare, but still sucks when you lose another one the next week and need what isn't there...

See below on my insurance experience...

We have State Farm you pick the price to cover. All mine is covered for more than its worth.. We love our insurance, laid back policy ever.

That's how my Nationwide policy was, pick the price to cover. But when something happens and they total it, I get 3800 for a mower that I had 8K in coverage on.

Check the fine print in your policy, and if it is actually covering whatever value you put on it no matter what, I'm switching first thing Monday morning. I looked at a couple other companies and they all depreciate everything to actual cash value.

clydebusa
09-23-2012, 09:14 AM
Theres a ad on Columbus C.L stolen equipment.. i posted it on here., We have State Farm you pick the price to cover. All mine is covered for more than its worth.. We love our insurance, laid back policy ever. I have been thinking of some low jack type system. We got robed at a garden show during tear down last year. $800 cash laptop with everything on it, and my lead book from the show 30 leads for hardscapes... Killed my year, it was another company that did it..

I also have state farm and they have been wonderful!
I might add that getting with in 9k of 40k is pretty good. But that is my opinion.

djt22
11-27-2012, 09:45 PM
This Company advertises pretty heavy with OLA here might want to give him a call, http://botson-friedel.webagent4u.com/

DLONGLANDSCAPING
12-05-2012, 01:36 AM
Grange insurance our of Ohio would cover It all to replaceable value. Newest model out.

Sorry u got your stuff stolen, I have gotton stuff stolen twice this year. It sucks!
Posted via Mobile Device

jbss86
01-08-2013, 03:12 PM
You don't steal period. But to steal a persons means of work thats just down right dirty!!!!! Im sorry that happen to you.

Pierre2013
06-17-2013, 12:27 AM
Through steel security doors, dead bolts, padlocked overhead doors, some jerks made off with $61,000 in equipment. Truck, trailer, two Z's, aerator, 2-cycle equipment, and tons of other stuff, gone overnight. Other than Craigslist, Ebay, Equipment Trader, and Ohio Farm and Dairy, does anyone know of any on-line classified or auction sites in NE Ohio where I can look for my stuff?

Brian

A relatively inexpensive and quite efficient protection against theft of vehicles is achieved by adding a kill switch to a vital component, like the fuel pump, for example.

The trick is to do a VERY good job. The switch must be strategically located. And the wires must not stand out.

I used to have kill switch installed on all my cars.

Crapgrass
09-19-2014, 10:26 PM
What if.... each piece of equipment had a hidden tag with technology inside that could be registered by the owner. An application connected to a world-wide tracking system is able to locate that piece of equipment at the touch of a button on your phone or computer.
When you by the equipment you mount the tag and sync if with the application. Print out your inventory and store it too, maybe. When something is taken, the app locates the tag hidden within and shows you exactly where it is. Then call the cops. Bring the proof with you. Retrieve your stuff.

I can imagine how this tech would work. I'm wondering if there is enough demand for it to build it.
Your thoughts?

whiffyspark
09-19-2014, 10:36 PM
Yeah. But its not going to be cost effective usually
Posted via Mobile Device

newbsvw
12-18-2014, 01:48 PM
On 12/12/14, my 2007 chevy silverado 2500hd single cab long bed pick up was stolen from mesquite, tx. It has my lesco 100 gallon skid sprayer mounted in the truck bed.

Truck vin#1gchc24u87e122332
lic plate dds 8519 texas plates
texas department of agriculture numbers on both sides tda 0504755

lesco skid sprayer serial number 6211010157

i am told that there theft of heavy duty trucks is rampant right now and is being carried out by a professional organize ring of the aryan nation. That more than likely these vehicles are being chopped and landscape equipment is probably being shipped out of state.

So please pass this around so that other states and texas be aware.