PDA

View Full Version : scag tiger cub flooding

michael30512
07-28-2011, 04:01 PM
i work as a small engine mechanic. we have a tiger cub that keeps flooding, we have replaced the fuel pump, brand new carb($341) and everything else we can think of and it seems like there is a vacuum problem because it runs ok gravity fed but the pump works off a vacuum to the engine, i don't know. somebody please help!!! it keeps flooding!

dlawncare
07-28-2011, 09:12 PM
make sure that the fuel cap is venting

Restrorob
07-29-2011, 06:47 AM
Take a gander; http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=144040

Just for info.... A non venting gas cap will cause lack of fuel not flooding while running.

michael30512
07-29-2011, 08:02 AM
We did , we had the gas cap off completely off. Still same results. We also changed all the fuel line but its gettin to much gas, its not that its not getting enough. Its got me stumped!! ???
Posted via Mobile Device

michael30512
07-29-2011, 10:09 AM
head gasket???
Posted via Mobile Device

retrodog
07-29-2011, 10:21 AM
We had an engine that gave us fits like that, and after doing all the technical stuff possible, we noticed there was a small little line that ran off the carb that looks like a fuel line, but it releases fumes, just goes to nothing. It had a little dirt stopping it up, and was causing it to run terrible, felt like a fuel issue. We even went as far as check the new fuel pump we had ordered to make sure it wasn't defective out of the box...lol. I originally thought it was the gas caps not venting, its weird how your gut instinct is usually right on the money we just have never even thought of that, you might really look over the motor and look at every little line..

michael30512
07-29-2011, 11:31 AM
that is for sure worth looking into, we've already spent over 500$ trying different approaches on this problem. Ill be mad at myself if it is something that simple. Especially since we have the head off right now changing the head gasket.
Posted via Mobile Device

michael30512
07-29-2011, 02:38 PM
wow, thank you retrodog you are a life saver. It ended up being a small hose on top of the carb that goes to nothing. Who would have thought thats what it was. We have replaced the head gasket, cleaned the carb , replaced the carb , replaced all the fuel line, all the filters, and everything else you can think of and it ended up being the smallest thing. Thank so much for that advise.
Posted via Mobile Device

steve4mc
07-29-2011, 02:45 PM
Once again we see the despicable nature of mud-daubers or some around here call them dirt dobbers (and no, I don't know the correct spelling). They love to fill any kind of small round hole with mud and dirt. Any kind of vent opening is a prime candidate. I once had one fill a vent hole off of my sportster oil tank. It built up pressure while running and couldn't release the pressure until I took off the rubber plug to check the oil. Got a nice shower of warm oil.

This is the reason I like the kinds of spiders that prey on wasps.

michael30512
07-29-2011, 02:51 PM
I know they get into everything. You should see all the things I take apart and find dirt stuffed up into. And if its not that its a rats nest or birds nest. Thanks again for all the help.
Posted via Mobile Device

retrodog
07-29-2011, 04:13 PM
We were in the same boat, I ordered new carb, new fuel pump, and fuel filter, after cleaning the freaking carb like 3 different times. Was really close to ordering another fuel pump thinking the one we got was defective, we were in $500 or so deep in it, I just wanted to leave it outside and let it get stolen, I would have set it on fire if we would have went into the motor and it still not worked...lol. The customer was pissed cause we had the mower for like 3 weeks, and when he would ask how long it would be and what was wrong, i stuttered and didn't know what to freaking say, he thought we were just a bunch of dumb a(*es at this point prolly.....
8 calls to tech support, and 8 buddies that were mechanics (i called everyone I knew and had them look at it...) all just scratched their heads too. It was one day I was talking to a rep from one of the parts companies about it, and he pulled the freaking line up and said "oh there you go looks like dirt dobbers", i didn't know if I should punch him in the face or give him a big kiss, I was so relieved but mad at the same time...lol. I hope I can make others not feel like that..lol

michael30512
07-30-2011, 05:02 PM
haha that's so funny sorta, dude I even replace the head gasket that's gettin pretty desperate. I wish somebody would have stole this p.o.s. , well it was a scag so its only a pos because I couldn't figure it out I'm glad retrodog helped me through this disaster.
Posted via Mobile Device