PDA

View Full Version : any guess what trugreen was applying?

grassmasterswilson
07-28-2011, 04:30 PM
Background - over the last 2 weeks we had 5 straight days of highs in the 100s. the coolest day was 88. Todays high was 101 with the next 2 days forecasted in the 100s. rain is in a shortaged with maybe .5 inches in the last 2 weeks. next chance is 2 days from now and 40%. Things are pretty tough without irrigation.

Pulling into a neighborhood I passes a trugreen pickup truck with a bed cover and push spreader on the back. My first thought was what is he applying since it was 96 already. The two lawns I saw with signs where centipede and a warmseason mixture. Being that their office is a 45 minute drive with only a pickup truck it couldn't have been a heavy dose.

Any clue?

Ric
07-28-2011, 04:44 PM
Background - over the last 2 weeks we had 5 straight days of highs in the 100s. the coolest day was 88. Todays high was 101 with the next 2 days forecasted in the 100s. rain is in a shortaged with maybe .5 inches in the last 2 weeks. next chance is 2 days from now and 40%. Things are pretty tough without irrigation.

Pulling into a neighborhood I passes a trugreen pickup truck with a bed cover and push spreader on the back. My first thought was what is he applying since it was 96 already. The two lawns I saw with signs where centipede and a warmseason mixture. Being that their office is a 45 minute drive with only a pickup truck it couldn't have been a heavy dose.

Any clue?

Grassmaster

Are you sure it wasn't a T 3000 and Agrium Advanced Tech Products.

WestGaPineStraw
07-28-2011, 05:33 PM
My guess....

46-0-0 Urea or 0-0-0 Iron, who knows? I'm sure the driver, can't officially call him a tech, didn't know.

olcllc
07-28-2011, 06:00 PM
I saw them out two days ago spreading fert on dead (dormant heat stressed) lawns. We've not had rain this entire month and things are beyond dry. I suppose they are getting a head start on their fall apps.

The few customers here that have irrigation have not used it this year because of cost increases. Water rates went up 60% this spring.

superintendent
07-28-2011, 11:35 PM
Ric, are you saying you don't like agriums products?

greendoctor
07-29-2011, 03:20 AM
If it was on centipede that is not on irrigation, probably something that will stress the grass further.

44DCNF
07-29-2011, 08:41 AM
Dihydrogen monoxide?

44DCNF
07-29-2011, 11:24 AM
Dihydrogen monoxide?

oops my mistake, thought it was a spray truck.

tlg
07-29-2011, 09:29 PM
Dihydrogen monoxide?

Hey I thought they banned that stuff!!!:laugh:

White Gardens
07-29-2011, 09:57 PM
Fungicide?

Slow Release Fert?

Think Green
07-29-2011, 10:09 PM
Kitty Litter......Milorganite........ironate.
Guaranteed not to burn or harm the lawn.

PSUTURFGEEK
07-29-2011, 10:57 PM
Trugreen Sprays Bifenthrin as a straight application this time of year.

Think Green
07-30-2011, 07:31 AM
TCGL isn't doing something so secret that it calls for a hush hush gag order on its applicator's. True they don't really know what is in those tanks...........they are doing the jobs on their routes. I would hope that KFC is more restricted on their secret 11 herbs and spices vs. what TGCL is doing.

I could be doing bifenethrin apps also but I don't spray for armyworm and webworm until it needs to be done. This year, I havent seen any signs........so why spray around chemical on maybe's..?? Prevention is a good practice.........therefore, I don't spray lawns now that I don't mow.

TurfWise
08-02-2011, 08:00 PM
were you able to actually see the tech treating the lawn? If so, was he pushing a spreader or spraying? You could have stopped and talked to the tech and he probably would have told you. Most of the tg guys I see at gas stations etc are open to talk turf and share what they are applying.

Also, how did the lawn look? Could be a potential customer for you down the road.

RigglePLC
08-02-2011, 09:23 PM
Grub control is a possibility. No heat concerns, but must be watered-in of course. Perhaps a small truck was dedicated to only grub control. Covered to keep it dry,(in case of rain).

mow2nd
08-03-2011, 04:37 PM
Maybe Lime or Quinaclorac ? I probably spelled that wrong

AI Inc
08-03-2011, 05:14 PM
The few customers here that have irrigation have not used it this year because of cost increases. Water rates went up 60% this spring.

Tell em to get ready for another price increase. Every action has a reaction.

vencops
08-03-2011, 05:59 PM
My customer (who just dropped Scott's) requested his application history for the past 3 years, recently.

Can't speak for TG. But, Scott's did an app. at his home around the 1st of Aug. the last 3 seasons. They list is as "Summer fert. and weed control". He didn't get anything more specific than that. The app. they did about 6wks ago was a lime app..