PDA

View Full Version : Better Chop Saw

JimLewis
07-28-2011, 06:13 PM
This is the saw we use for cutting both pavers and wall blocks. Most projects we are doing both. So it's nice to have a saw that's big enough to cut through SRW block but can also do 2-3" pavers.

The problem we keep having is this saw is constantly having engine problems. We even changed the engine to a new Honda engine last winter and still having similar problems. After using it for a while it just doesn't want to keep idle. So then we call our small engine machanic and he does his magic on it, tell us to keep the air filter clean (which we do, twice every day when in use) and it works fine for a little while. But then within a few days of use it starts doing it again. I think the problem is related to way too much dust. But to that end, we are cleaning the filter regularly.

Do we just need to purchase a higher grade of chop saw? Or what do you guys sugggest? If you think I need a new one, let me know what brand / kind you recommend. Whatever it is, I need it to be able to do block and pavers both.

TomG
07-28-2011, 06:59 PM
That's to funny, we have the same exact saw. We call it big blue. Ours is blue and it kind of looks like yours is too. haha We only use it maybe once a year though. We have all gas powered hand held cut off saws.

DVS Hardscaper
07-28-2011, 09:07 PM
Boy, you guys like giving me opportunities to Market Myself! I think I need to come out with Andrew Hardscape work wear!

All the saws pretty much use the same brand of engine - Honda.

The dust will kill an engine, doesn't matter what brand.

An example, I had a brand new John Deere Tractor back in 1991. 20 hp Yanmar diesel. 130 hrs on the engine and it got HOT AND DRY outside. It sucked dust in, and in a matter of minutes it was blowing smoke and locked up.

We usually get 2-3 years out of the 6.5 hp Honda engines on our saws. They're cheap, around $330.00 and take about 15 minutes to swap. More or less 4 bolts, 2 belts, done. We got 10 years of use out of 1 saw, and every 2-3 years replaced the engines. After the initial purchase of the saw, thats approx $200 / year to operate, not including oil changes, plugs, and belts. What is 200 bucks a year?

Jim, sounds like you have some sort of an on-going problem with that one engine. Could be that when the guys change/clean the filter(s), they're allowing dirt into the carb. I don't like my guys to lay a finger on the air cleaner housing because of this.

The saw in the pic, has a Suburu(sp) brand of engine (its japanese!) We have a smaller saw with the same brand, over a year old - and no problems.....yet! Although, I think EDCO (contrx, same Maryland company) isn't using those engines.

http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee405/AndrewHardscape/MasonryMagSawAd1.jpg

joes169
07-28-2011, 09:59 PM
As stated, the vast majority of the mainstream manu's are going to be using a Honda engine, and for good reason, so I don't know of any way around that. It seems like the problem may be the angle that the saw sits on when idling & not in use. Odds are, the engine is flooding in fuel when idling in that position. The Honda's are somewhat finicky when it comes to that, especially during transport. Not sure what you can do about it, but I would think the right small engine tech could come up with a remedy.

zedosix
07-28-2011, 10:04 PM
We have 3 of those saws, they just last so long with the honda motors. I noticed you start your saw from behind?? Thats different.

DVS Hardscaper
07-28-2011, 10:07 PM
We have 3 of those saws, they just last so long with the honda motors. I noticed you start your saw from behind?? Thats different.

Yep Zedo, you need to rotate your starter. (3) 10mm bolts. Easier to start from behind, as it's a better angle for the rope to be pulled. Seems to be less strain on the starter assembly. Those engines have a ga-zillion uses, they roll 'em out of the factory not knowin what they're gonna be used for. Just like when you buy a new altenator for your car or truck, you often times have to turn the mounting plate so it works with your application.

zedosix
07-28-2011, 10:24 PM
I would rather stand in front, no problems starting it. But hey, to each his own right?

DVS Hardscaper
07-28-2011, 10:38 PM
I would rather stand in front, no problems starting it. But hey, to each his own right?

Some hang their toilet paper over the front of the roll, some hang their toilet paper over the back of the roll........

zedosix
07-28-2011, 10:41 PM
gotta hang it in the front otherwise your hands gotta reach way back there.

DVS Hardscaper
07-28-2011, 10:53 PM
gotta hang it in the front otherwise your hands gotta reach way back there.

to mess with your employees, you otta swicth the starter around, just to get a good laugh

patpls
07-28-2011, 11:10 PM
Same saw same problem. Is it the oil alert feature kicking in when motor is cocked upwards?

Stillwater
07-29-2011, 12:28 AM
Jim are you running this saw dry? or are you running water with it?

JimLewis
07-29-2011, 03:19 AM
It does it both ways. But it was always too messy with it wet. So now I usually see my guys just doing it dry. Lots of dust all around.

So DVS, that saw you're showing - the vacuum sucks all the dust up??? I'm intrigued!!! Tell me more!

DVS Hardscaper
07-29-2011, 06:49 AM
It does it both ways. But it was always too messy with it wet. So now I usually see my guys just doing it dry. Lots of dust all around.

So DVS, that saw you're showing - the vacuum sucks all the dust up??? I'm intrigued!!! Tell me more!

Now I'm no expert on this by any means. But I have been told (many years ago) by folks at EDCO that OSHA is cracking down on dust from saws. So over the years, they have been playing with different types of vac systems.

Back, around 2004, maybe 2005, or EDCO had this seperate, GIANT, gas vac system! It did work very well, we tested it in the field for a week. But I don't they ever launched it into the market.

The electric vac is effective and works well. Unless it's really windy out, but thats to be expected.

When we shot those pics, it was a chilly day, as you can tell by my company outdoor apparrel. And when it gets cold out......we do not use water.

Also, we run our saws dry more than we use wet. And I believe running the saws dry is hard on the engine.

And - you gotta keep oil in 'em and you gotta keep 'em on level ground, those little engines do NOT have oil pumps.

Stillwater
07-29-2011, 09:21 AM
I have had this issue. In the interm of a saw upgrade, try putting a fre-filter on the air filter, it being a honda it might already have a thin foam fre-filter sock over the pleated one, if it does try oiling the fre-filter..

I avoided the gotta get a new saw feeling by wrapping a dam tee shirt around the entire airfilter assembly and plugging in when possible.

DVS what do they want for that Vac saw?

landscapemike2
07-29-2011, 06:38 PM
get a honda cyclone filter will make saw run much like new its for extra dusty areas comes on edco saws stock

joes169
07-29-2011, 06:44 PM
DVS,

That saw looks like it runs a 14" blade. Is 6 hp even enough to cut through solid landscape block on a routine basis? The only reason I ask is I've never seen a masonry saw ("block-buster's" in my trade) with less than an 11hp motor, and most tend to have a 13hp. And CMU with hollow cores saw much easier as well.

DVS Hardscaper
07-29-2011, 07:15 PM
I have had this issue. In the interm of a saw upgrade, try putting a fre-filter on the air filter, it being a honda it might already have a thin foam fre-filter sock over the pleated one, if it does try oiling the fre-filter..

I avoided the gotta get a new saw feeling by wrapping a dam tee shirt around the entire airfilter assembly and plugging in when possible.

DVS what do they want for that Vac saw?

I'm not sure what they sell for.
Posted via Mobile Device

DVS Hardscaper
07-29-2011, 07:17 PM
DVS,

That saw looks like it runs a 14" blade. Is 6 hp even enough to cut through solid landscape block on a routine basis? The only reason I ask is I've never seen a masonry saw ("block-buster's" in my trade) with less than an 11hp motor, and most tend to have a 13hp. And CMU with hollow cores saw much easier as well.

The 14's usually have 6.5 hp. Which is plenty. Plenty. Plenty.

EDCO also has a 20" saw.

Posted via Mobile Device

amscapes03
07-29-2011, 09:45 PM
Are those work boots your wearing in the pic OSHA approved? If so, where can i get me a pair?

DVS Hardscaper
07-29-2011, 11:12 PM
Are those work boots your wearing in the pic OSHA approved? If so, where can i get me a pair?

you may order them online: www.AndrewHardscape.com/outerwear/boots

SoCalLandscapeMgmt
07-30-2011, 10:25 PM
Jim.... it looks like you're running a dry element filter. I know that on the smaller Hondas you can get an oil bath type air filter assembly. You put a small amount of motor oil in the bottom and it keeps the filter element oiled. It traps a lot more dust than just a dry element. I'm not sure how well it will work for your application given that the motor looks like it tilts back on forth but it may be worth trying out.

DVS Hardscaper
07-30-2011, 10:52 PM
Or.....every Monday morning you change the filters, the pre-filter and the primary. I buy them by the case. Heck, I even have filters stashed in my personal vehicle.

Posted via Mobile Device

Stillwater
07-30-2011, 11:30 PM
Jims not replying anymore, I think he's out in his new truck getting those nice new decals all muddy.

DVS Hardscaper
07-31-2011, 11:50 AM
Jims not replying anymore, I think he's out in his new truck getting those nice new decals all muddy.

No No You Got It All Wrong.

He's out helping old ladies cross the street safely.