PDA

View Full Version : Truck loader mounted to trailer

ksland
10-25-2002, 07:20 PM
Do you think there would be vibration problems mounting a 16hp leaf sucker directly to a metal trailer frame? Or should I isolate it with wood between the metal?

LAWNGODFATHER
10-25-2002, 11:51 PM
Are you planning on sleeping on the trailer?

It won't matter, it will vibrate no matter what.

DLCS
10-26-2002, 02:51 AM
Originally posted by LAWNGODFATHER
Are you planning on sleeping on the trailer?

It won't matter, it will vibrate no matter what.

lmao:p

ksland
10-26-2002, 10:38 AM
This is a serious question that was looking for a serious answer, Thanks LGF:angry:

Am thinking of making a platform on the tongue that would connect the loader to the trailer. Just wasn't sure if I would have a problem with welds cracking and such.

CMerLand
10-26-2002, 10:43 AM
KS,

Unless you have the GENE SIMMONS trailer tongue option, Id be real careful about mounting a leaf vacumn there. As you turn or backup the trailer the back end of your truck swings into area your planning to mount that machine and you'll be knocking that thing to pieces in no time. And dont kid yourself thinking that youll be carefull or you dont have any sharp turns to make, youll pinch that sucker soon enough.

CMerrick

gravedigger5
10-26-2002, 10:57 AM
KSLAND, Are you loading leaves into your truck or trailer?? I just got done mounting mine on the back of my dump truck. I was going to put it on the trailer, probably up on the tongue, but I decided if I had it on the truck I didn't have to take the trailer all the time and I could also take trailer off at jobs where it would be easier to get to the piles of leaves with just the truck. But it is a little harder to mount to the truck, am making a swing away mounting bracket, hope to finish it up today, really looks good. Marc

LAWNGODFATHER
10-26-2002, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by ksland
This is a serious question that was looking for a serious answer, Thanks LGF:angry:

If I recall you got a serious answer.It won't matter, it will vibrate no matter what.

No matter what you put inbetween it it will transfer the vibrations to what ever it is mounted to. However you can cut them down, but it still will happen.

With the big truck' engine off, I can feel the vac running 20' back there.

What about that 2:1 hitch from northerntool.com?

BTW you are talking to probably the best one about vacs.

Plus these guys are giving you some good options you should consider before mounting to you trailer tounge.

Also we are talking about vibrations, isolate or not. You got the best answer availabe to your question.

What else do you want? Do you need someone to hold your hand too?

ksland
10-26-2002, 02:45 PM
I have been thinking about this subject for over a year, maybe 2 years now and finally made a decision that the best answer for me is to mount it on the tongue. I will be mounting it in such a position that it will not stick out any farther than the a frame of the tongue. It will be set a few inches behind the front crossbar on the trailer, and on top of it. My welder is making a bracket/platform that allows me to do this. I will be loading them into the dump truck. I know it is a pain to have to have the trailer everytime I suck up leaves but I always bring it anyhow. Yes there will be a few times it will not fit into an area I would like, and that is the downside.

GrassMaster84
10-26-2002, 05:01 PM
What kind of trailer are you going to mounting it on? Is it closed, enclosed? Does it have a wood floor or mesh floor?

kutnkru
10-26-2002, 05:05 PM
Just do like I do and put a piece of flexible tubing (like what the insulation guys use to blow insulation) between your discharge chute and the vback of the truck box. Havent had any probs with the 23 clogging at all!!!

And yes for the record its mounted to the trailer frame just as you inquired about.

kutnkru
10-26-2002, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by GrassMaster84
... Is it closed, enclosed? wtf does that mean???
Does plywood sides on an open trailer make a diff vs. an enclosed unit??? (LOL)

dfor
10-27-2002, 09:18 AM
I have my 16 hp Billy Goat loader mounted to the tongue of my trailer. So far I have never hit it with the truck when making sharp turns. It could be that the tongue on my trailer is a little longer than most. From the front of the trailer to the ball is about 46" on mine.

Guido
10-27-2002, 10:34 AM
LOL!

I actually had a trailer set-up somewhat like you described. I built a "tabletop" above my toungue, built on the back of my "box" thingie (Don't laugh) in the front of the trailer. It was an angle iron frame with a 3/4" plywood platform. It worked great, and yes, the wood did help keep down vibrations.

BTW - I shot into the truck, and yes, my toungue was long enough to make sharp turns.

Another thing that platform was good for when the blower wasn't attatched was for a water cooler. It can save some space if you ise the area wisely.

Good Luck!

bluemoon
10-27-2002, 11:02 PM
I had a Parker 16hp debris vacuum mounted to the tongue of my 18 ft. trailer. It did vibrate, so I cut pieces of a rubber mud flap to lessen the shake. I didn't trust it so I checked bolts often. Didn't have problems, but I checked often.

Boycea
10-27-2002, 11:58 PM
Try utilizing some engine mounts when attaching your vac to the trailer. Just attatch the engine mounts to the deck, or a platform and then just bolt on the vac. I have used engine mounts on both of my vacs, and i think it does take away a little vibration

KLMlawn
10-28-2002, 12:27 AM
Again ... what is the difference if there is any vibration .... if you are getting excessive vibration, then try changing out your impeller on the loader, it may be out of balance. If we are just talking about the normal vibration that any type of truckloader makes, I really don't see what the problems is ???? just don't start the sucker up at 1 AM ...
I actually have a spot on the neck of my trailer for my loader and no I haven't hit it with the truck, but I have had issues with tongue weight, so I am opting to mount it on a swingaway right after I beefup the hitch supports.