PDA

View Full Version : Liquid Fert

Johnagain
07-28-2011, 08:57 PM
I have a few lawns that I would like to use liquid fertilizer on. I have a subdivision that is mostly a clay hard pan base 3-4 inches under the grass. most of the granule will wash away with a heavy rain so I thought I could use liquid instead. I am not a CPO, so can I legally spray just fert. I haven't been able to find anything that says yes or no.

greendoctor
07-29-2011, 04:18 AM
You sure can according to the laws on pesticides. However, will this run afoul of the fertilizer regulations that mandate a starved lawn? I cannot imagine using only slow release urea as the N source. I hate that stuff. Not to mention, it is not slow release when the heat and humidity makes the granule dump all of its N all at once.

yamadooski
07-29-2011, 06:43 AM
NO YOU CANT LEGALLY SPRAY FERTILIZER ON A LAWN OR BUSHES WITHOUT A LICENSE IN THE STATE OF FLORIDA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The only thing you can do is put down granular fertilzer and that is it. If I am correct they are even trying to change that too.

bugsNbows
07-29-2011, 07:58 AM
As long as you apply only fertility products (no pesticides) I was of the opinion that you sure can make liquid applications.

Ric
07-29-2011, 08:31 AM
As long as you apply only fertility products (no pesticides) I was of the opinion that you sure can make liquid applications.

I will second this post. There is no restrictions on how fertilizer is applied. only where and when it is applied.

I use liquid fert in conjunction with granules. My sandy soil has no chemical holding power and by using both forms of fert I can spoon feed with little or no leaching. I use smaller amounts of both product but hopefully timed so it can all be up taken.

Ric
07-29-2011, 08:34 AM
NO YOU CANT LEGALLY SPRAY FERTILIZER ON A LAWN OR BUSHES WITHOUT A LICENSE IN THE STATE OF FLORIDA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The only thing you can do is put down granular fertilzer and that is it. If I am correct they are even trying to change that too.

Yam

I believe you are confused with the LIMITED PESTICIDE LICENSE application restrictions. A Limited can only use Manuel hand pump applicators and no power applicators.

Patriot Services
07-29-2011, 05:15 PM
Did I miss something? I took the BMP class last November after the ext office said it was required after Jan 2011. Ric is right manual applications only, not even a powered bp. Realistically there is a big equipment outlay for tanks, pumps, hoses, reels and guns. Sounds like your overthinking the washout factor. Let's not forget about the N and P blackouts too. Coming to a county near you soon!
Posted via Mobile Device

Ric
07-29-2011, 05:48 PM
Did I miss something? I took the BMP class last November after the ext office said it was required after Jan 2011. Ric is right manual applications only, not even a powered bp. Realistically there is a big equipment outlay for tanks, pumps, hoses, reels and guns. Sounds like your overthinking the washout factor. Let's not forget about the N and P blackouts too. Coming to a county near you soon!
Posted via Mobile Device

Patriot

You might be misunderstanding my post. Manual applications of PESTICIDES only with a Limited Pesticide License.

BMP has no limitations on the HOW applied only the WHERE & WHEN. That means a power fertilizer spreader or a powder fertilizer sprayer

Landscape Poet
07-31-2011, 08:59 AM
The OP may want to check his county restrictions if any also as they may come into play. For example in Orange County there is a restriction in terms of how much N can be applied at one time and if you wish to put up to 1lb of N then over 50% of the N must be slow release. I am not familiar enough nor do I have interest in liquids at this time but most of the ones I have seen are not slow release, many again of the the ones that I have seen also contain P, which could cause a issue with the regulations.

jvanvliet
07-31-2011, 12:29 PM
bmp is not the license, its a requirement to get the license...

Johnagain
08-04-2011, 08:00 PM
Sorry it has taken so long to get back to this topic. This thread has answered the question with the same answers that I have had in the past and that is with mixed results with spraying ferts. Some say yes some say no. I do know what I can and can't do with my limited license and I have passed the BMP course. I do know that I can't put any pesticide on the Lawn just fert only.

The issue is that the yards that I have a problem with can't handle the 3-4 inches an hour of rain that we have been getting. The fert just washed onto the sidewalk after the heavy rain. My plan would be to use granule in the spring and then switch to liquid for the summer then one app of granule in the fall. I will be following the BMP practices and use 1lb of slow release N per 1000 sq ft and with the liquid use 1/2 lb N per 1000sq ft.

Has anyone used these products? I Can get them locally at BWI.

http://www.growthproducts.com/

greendoctor
08-05-2011, 12:03 AM
I have used Growth Products. Especially the 30-0-0, Essential Plus and the 18-2-18. These products are designed for golf greens and golf fairways. I use a 100% liquid program consisting of some CRN, N from 21-0-0, potassium from potassium nitrate, high rate of micronutrients and no phosphorus unless the need is indicated by soil/tissue tests or deficiency symptoms present in the turf. If you apply 1/4 lb CRN as a low volume foliar, it is doubtful that much of it will run off like how granules do. MIght have to do this every 14-30 days, but you are getting paid to keep the lawn green and not per application, right? I am in an opposite situation from you. Not much rain, extremely tight soils that resist penetration of water and fertilizers, plus constant irrigation. Granules mostly run off in this situation.