PDA

View Full Version : HELP! - self-oil adjustment on chainsaw

A1 Grass
10-25-2002, 07:37 PM
I have a Poulan 2050 chainsaw and it is self-oiling. It goes through the oil WAY TOO FAST. Does anyone know of an adjustment for that?

Bob Minney
10-25-2002, 08:17 PM
Don't know your exact model but if it has adjustable automatic oiler it will be on the bottom of the saw on the crankcase.
Increase oil turn screw counter clockwise
reduce oil clockwise

are you using bar oil?

Also running at high rpms for long time can cause to feed more oil than needed

A1 Grass
10-26-2002, 12:29 AM
There's no adjustment anywhere on the outside of the unit. I took off top and side covers, but didn't see anything...

Bob Minney
10-26-2002, 11:23 AM
lots of self oilers are not adjustable but oil at maximum all the time-my guess is on 2050 it isn't, but
if you don't have a manual try on-line to see if you can at least find a schematic to compare to yours to see if anything is broken or missing.

Have you removed case and cleaned out all sawdust, when debris builds up saw will heat up, that could thin oil in reservoir causing if to flow quicker

It may be worth cleaning and refilling reservoir, they can get dirt in them easily, though that usually plugs rather than over oiling

Art Stubbs handy 58
10-26-2002, 02:07 PM
Well thats your first problem it's a Poulan, just kidding....
most often self oilers are not adjustable, thats why they are automatic. and the higher RMP's you run the faster it will burn,if bye chace it has an adjustment it will be on the bottom side of the case....

Guido
10-26-2002, 02:24 PM
Why type of oil are you using? If your using good bar oil, most saws are designed so that if you fill both the oil and fuel up at the same time, when the fuel runs out, there should only be a little oil left.

I also suggest giving it a good cleaning inside and out to help keep the heat down

A1 Grass
10-26-2002, 10:28 PM
Not sure what kind of oil is in it... got it from a friend who said it was "broken"... you know - the air filter was dirty...

Anyway, maybe a suggestion for a "thicker" bar oil or something? Maybe just 50wt oil?

Arnold
10-27-2002, 12:15 AM
I have the same saw and I have had problems with using cheap bar oil like when I bought some Ace brand and it drinks it like mad. But I changed back to the lot more expensive Stihl brand and the saw uses alot less. The Ace brand goes for like 6$ and the Stihl goes for around 15$ a gallon but I do believe it is a better oil because I don't have as many problems with the chain loosening up.

awm
10-27-2002, 08:17 AM
im pretty high on stihl products myself. but not high enough to pay 15.00 for bar oil. homelite bar oil [not the saws] works well in my stihls. in any case id much rather my saw used to much oil ,as not enough. in truth 30 wt dino used to be the standard bar oil around here.
i do think the tackifyers might help tho.

Gravely_Man
10-28-2002, 02:03 PM
I will give my opinion on this matter. Only use name brand bar oil but…many people will argue that you can use clean motor oil rather then bar oil. I believe bar oil to be better as it is thick, has "tack" additives to help prevent it from being slung off of the bar and is made for this purpose. Another thing to point out is you can never have too much lube on the bar. That is what reduces friction and helps slow the wearing of the bar, tip and chain.

Gravely_Man (Also the user of many, many hours behind the handle of a chainsaw)

Scraper
10-28-2002, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by Guido
If your using good bar oil, most saws are designed so that if you fill both the oil and fuel up at the same time, when the fuel runs out, there should only be a little oil left.

My Dolmar does exactly this. You should expect to refill both gas and oil at the same time. But then again...I'm not running a Poulan.

Arnold
10-29-2002, 05:30 PM
I was into our local True Value today and they had stihl bar oil for 6$ a gallon that a steal and I think I over paid for my last gallon years ago.