PDA

View Full Version : whats the best ride on spreader

EARTH5
07-29-2011, 09:34 AM
I am new to fertilizing and just wondering whats the best ride on spreader for liquid and granular... i am looking at the t-300/ perma green/ and the z sprays.. we are small approx 300 customers..... thanks for your help

sprayboy
07-29-2011, 11:21 AM
Do a search in this forum.
There are many many threads discussing this.

grassmasterswilson
07-29-2011, 12:50 PM
i see the big argument of t3000 vs zspray happening in the future!!!!

indyturf
07-29-2011, 04:05 PM
depends on who you ask............

vencops
07-29-2011, 04:25 PM
"small" @ 300 customers?

I guess everything's relative.

I have WAY (understatement) less accounts. I'm in the market. But, cost is going to have to weigh in (in a big way). I'm currently looking at the CC XP S/S. @ $3,700.00, it fits my needs (unless I find a SMOKIN' deal on one of the more appointed machines).

If money were no object, I'd be looking at another unit. For my needs, I still think this machine will work fine.

EquityGreen
07-29-2011, 05:19 PM
T3000 hands down, no questions asked. I've used them all, I love my T!
Posted via Mobile Device

lawn king
07-29-2011, 05:26 PM
"small" @ 300 customers?

I guess everything's relative.

I have WAY (understatement) less accounts. I'm in the market. But, cost is going to have to weigh in (in a big way). I'm currently looking at the CC XP S/S. @ $3,700.00, it fits my needs (unless I find a SMOKIN' deal on one of the more appointed machines).

If money were no object, I'd be looking at another unit. For my needs, I still think this machine will work fine.

I just turned 314 hours on my xp, great value for the price, in fact you can buy 2 xp's for the cost of most other ride ons!

WestGaPineStraw
07-29-2011, 05:41 PM
I have a triumph, it gets the job done and I got a good deal on it.
Posted via Mobile Device

vencops
07-29-2011, 05:50 PM
I just turned 314 hours on my xp, great value for the price, in fact you can buy 2 xp's for the cost of most other ride ons!

That's great to hear. It would take me YEARS to see 314hrs. roll over. My only concern with this machine is mobility. My main use for it will be on 5 properties, totalling 20acres. No issues I can foresee on those. I'll also be looking to use it on MUCH smaller parcels, too. I am a bit concered, there, on what I'll have to use to get to areas that "may" (my fears could easily be a product of my ignorance on how nimble these machines really are) present issues. Planning on trying to demo one, in the near future.

americanlawn
07-29-2011, 05:51 PM
I saw this one today. Note the tank is strapped on a sheet of plywood where the roll bar was. Looks a little top heavy to me. (no it ain't mine) :laugh:

Ditto with Equity Green

WestGaPineStraw
07-29-2011, 05:55 PM
I saw this one today. Note the tank is strapped on a sheet of plywood where the roll bar was. Looks a little top heavy to me. (no it ain't mine) :laugh:

Ditto with Equity Green

Larry,

That's your "2011 TK3 with the devlan pump"? Lol
Posted via Mobile Device

grassman177
07-29-2011, 06:17 PM

Ditto with Equity Green

that never ends well:hammerhead:

i used tanks however and other things with Jrco attatchments. worked very well for a while. not good however for serious commerical use:walking:

EARTH5
07-30-2011, 07:37 AM
lol... i love the rops model..... not sure what an xp is .... anyone??

gregory
07-30-2011, 10:07 AM
cup cadet.... not a bad looking spreader for what you pay. i myself have a z spray jr. if it were me i would look at them in person if you could and demo them before you buy. the only thing in town at the time i got mine was pg and z spray. i looked at the pg first then seen the jr after i seen it my mind was made up. also there is somebody on here who has a groundlogic and that one to me looks better then the pg. do you need just to spread or spread and spray?

cub cadet...http://www.cubcadet.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10051_14101_545456_1210602_-1_600002_1210602

groundlogic.com http://www.groundlogicinc.com/pathfinder-xc.html...
http://www.z-spray.com/

Ric
07-30-2011, 04:03 PM

Ditto with Equity Green

Well it looks like is doesn't take a rocket scientist to see the hassle of a bad design. But I am old school and like my Home made Ric-A-Green on a Walker mower. Sure it takes up just a tad more room to haul, but It is a sit down unit that really has maneuverability. BTW it is also hangs on hills not that we have many here in flatland country. Of course my design has the weight much lower for that reason. Walker Mower are also build low to the ground.

One of the advantages of the Ric-A-Green is the electric Broad cast wheel with a rheostat to control throw by the speed of the wheel. I can also pull up to a Planting bed straight on and then open the hopper to spread fert in the beds.

I build the Ric-A-Green for Ric and his smaller yards. Therefore it only sprays the 42 width of the mowing deck and it does so from a boom only 8 inches off the ground @ 20 PSI with NO DRIFT @ a gallon a thousand. The way I build the Ric-A-Green has it's disadvantages on bigger yards and for that reason I build Ric's Ride on a used Toro Multipro sprayer I got from a Golf Course. It will gallop across large areas.

americanlawn
07-30-2011, 04:45 PM
Turfcobob always told me, "Any time you can sit down instead of standing is always better". I agree. Sounds like the Ric-A-Green units are pretty cool. (any pics?)

We treat a cemetery that has hills/slopes. They mow it with Walker mowers and trade every two years for new Walkers. Those guys swear buy them.

Rheostat/wheel speed/8"above ground spray also sounds logical to me. I think the "full spray" nozzle on our T's is almost twice that high, but we prefer the single nozzle compared to a boom for versatility.

IMO you have good ideas that sprayer/spreader manufacturers should be aware of. I still remember the video when rayholio tried to operate his Z-Spray unit .... could have used rheostat controls there.

I realize every market is different. Comparing/demoing a ride-on sprayer/spreader is always best. That's what we did. Even traveled to PG, Z-Spray, TURFCO headquarters so we could try all models first-hand. The model we currently see the most here is the T3000. Main reason is guys with older Permagreens are going to the T. A few others had Z's. One friend of mine sold all of his Z's and bought six T3000 units, yet he hauls them on Z-Spray carrier racks. Go figure. Whatever works is always good.

Ric
07-30-2011, 05:16 PM
Turfcobob always told me, "Any time you can sit down instead of standing is always better". I agree. Sounds like the Ric-A-Green units are pretty cool. (any pics?)

We treat a cemetery that has hills/slopes. They mow it with Walker mowers and trade every two years for new Walkers. Those guys swear buy them.

Rheostat/wheel speed/8"above ground spray also sounds logical to me. I think the "full spray" nozzle on our T's is almost twice that high, but we prefer the single nozzle compared to a boom for versatility.

IMO you have good ideas that sprayer/spreader manufacturers should be aware of. I still remember the video when rayholio tried to operate his Z-Spray unit .... could have used rheostat controls there.

I realize every market is different. Comparing/demoing a ride-on sprayer/spreader is always best. That's what we did. Even traveled to PG, Z-Spray, TURFCO headquarters so we could try all models first-hand. The model we currently see the most here is the T3000. Main reason is guys with older Permagreens are going to the T. A few others had Z's. One friend of mine sold all of his Z's and bought six T3000 units, yet he hauls them on Z-Spray carrier racks. Go figure. Whatever works is always good.

Larry

You need to wipe your nose. There some Brown stuff on it.

americanlawn
07-30-2011, 05:24 PM
Been busy, but goin' to Wal-Mart tonight to buy some Ric-O-Wipes. :laugh:

Ric
07-30-2011, 07:20 PM
Been busy, but goin' to Wal-Mart tonight to buy some Ric-O-Wipes. :laugh:

Larry

I am sure you will find your size in the infant section. But just for your enjoyment here is a picture of the Ric-A-Green with out the spreader attached. BTW that is my front yard I mowed 8 times last year and I have cut it 5 times this year. I spray Roundup on it every month in the growing season after I cut it. I will cut it again in the middle of August and then again in Sept. Some time in late Oct or early November for the final cut of the year.

The Ric-A-Green is a pretty simple design but it WORKS.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/Ricyard/100_0099.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/Ricyard/100_0098.jpg

WestGaPineStraw
07-30-2011, 07:25 PM
Ric,

Very nice!
Posted via Mobile Device

Ric
07-30-2011, 08:05 PM
Ric,

Very nice!
Posted via Mobile Device

West

That is actually the 3rd Ric-A-Green. The first two were worn out. But they also were started with the oldest Walker I had at the time. This one is a 1997 model. I think the most expensive part was the $ 99.00 12V pump. I know there isn't $ 250.00 in the whole sprayer. The Spreader is no big deal so I didn't put it on when I took the picture tonight. You can see a heavy shadow as it was late in the day after Larry's post about buying baby wipes.

In Edit

BTW My camera is a 14 megapixel and I am real Happy with the picture quality.

indyturf
07-30-2011, 10:12 PM
Nice clean and simple design Ric. looks like it would do the job!

Ric
07-30-2011, 10:58 PM
Nice clean and simple design Ric. looks like it would do the job!

If you look on the Forward control lever, you can see a horn button that activates the pump for boom spraying.

If you look at the Hose to the boom you can see a fast snap coupling where I hook a Spray wand to do touch up or spot spraying. I also have a dual electric set up so I can turn the pump on full time without holding the button. That works great when I use the wand for spot spraying.

In Edit

If you do a search here, you will find several set ups very much like mine. And at a very reasonable cost of fabrication

Falcon50EX
07-31-2011, 06:22 AM
Off topic

Ric, thanks for calling the other day. HD has all the fitting so I will start to experiment with them. The nozzles come in a pack of 4 0, 15, 30, and 40 degrees i think that is right 3000 and 4000psi.

Ric
07-31-2011, 09:19 AM
Off topic

Ric, thanks for calling the other day. HD has all the fitting so I will start to experiment with them. The nozzles come in a pack of 4 0, 15, 30, and 40 degrees i think that is right 3000 and 4000psi.

Richard

That sounds about right, but I am thinking more like 0, 15, 25, and 40.

Sorry I got you hooked on "Ric's Tricks". I am sure many are looking at these as pure Abe Goldfarb material and I really don't care what they think. The important thing is they work for me. I am a big believer in being set up. Everything from a Computer/Printer in the truck to quick change tips we are talking about.

WestGaPineStraw
07-31-2011, 11:22 AM
West

That is actually the 3rd Ric-A-Green. The first two were worn out. But they also were started with the oldest Walker I had at the time. This one is a 1997 model. I think the most expensive part was the $ 99.00 12V pump. I know there isn't $ 250.00 in the whole sprayer. The Spreader is no big deal so I didn't put it on when I took the picture tonight. You can see a heavy shadow as it was late in the day after Larry's post about buying baby wipes.

In Edit

BTW My camera is a 14 megapixel and I am real Happy with the picture quality.

Ric,

The best investment you made was in that camera. I have alaways pictured your innovative ability in my head but, you have gone a step further. That setup is really nice. So thought out, yet so simple. All of these ride on spreaders have the same pump and spray system. No need to drop 6-9k on equipment when you have it already. I know you posted pics of that toro. Did you ever get the finished pics up?
Posted via Mobile Device

americanlawn
07-31-2011, 02:51 PM
Holy cow! That lawn is a "ten" on a ten scale. Nice pics! That Walker will turn on a dime. I also like the push button activation of the pump. We had a ZTR that did that, and it was nice. (LESCO Z-two sprayer/spreader --- same as Cub Cadet "tank"). This is a feature I wish the T3000 units had so if you're not spraying, the pump won't be on all the time. Thanks for the pics. :usflag:

Ric
07-31-2011, 03:30 PM
Ric,

The best investment you made was in that camera. I have alaways pictured your innovative ability in my head but, you have gone a step further. That setup is really nice. So thought out, yet so simple. All of these ride on spreaders have the same pump and spray system. No need to drop 6-9k on equipment when you have it already. I know you posted pics of that toro. Did you ever get the finished pics up?Posted via Mobile Device

West

Larry Stone billed himself as the Frugal Agronomist. Maybe I should be the Frugal Equipment Freak. Yep for under a thousand I turned a worn out Lawn mower into Spread & Spray machine. One thing I forgot to say is how easy the Walker is to handle ONE HANDED. I can also set the forward Speed control to a preset speed and it will keep that speed. Not the the fastest mower, but just fast enough to do a good job.

The Toro is a work in progress and while I am using it, I am still a little embarrassed to show it until I actually get it the way I want it.

BTW I have some other set ups I will show pictures of as a finish repainting them. Once again I am ashamed to show a Leopard spotted trailer with a couple of Skid Sprayer on it. But it comes in handy doing the Odd ball jobs where I need to tank up a special mix. One of those skid sprayers stays tanked with Roundup 24/7. I do a number of turf burn outs for several landscapers.

Falcon50EX
07-31-2011, 06:05 PM
Richard

That sounds about right, but I am thinking more like 0, 15, 25, and 40.

Sorry I got you hooked on "Ric's Tricks". I am sure many are looking at these as pure Abe Goldfarb material and I really don't care what they think. The important thing is they work for me. I am a big believer in being set up. Everything from a Computer/Printer in the truck to quick change tips we are talking about.

Ric, I have been in the air for 19+ years and some of the guys I fly with have 45+ years I never ignor experience. For the guy that thinks he know it all good luck to him.
So keep the info coming ? Tips 3000 or 4000spi?
Posted via Mobile Device

Ric
07-31-2011, 06:38 PM
Ric, I have been in the air for 19+ years and some of the guys I fly with have 45+ years I never ignor experience. For the guy that thinks he know it all good luck to him.
So keep the info coming ? Tips 3000 or 4000spi?
Posted via Mobile Device

Richard

3000 PSI tip is good enough. But remenber at a lower PSI you get lower GPM. Therefore my 2 gpm free flow pump uses a 5.5 GPM 3000 PSI tip.

Ric
07-31-2011, 06:47 PM
Holy cow! That lawn is a "ten" on a ten scale. Nice pics! That Walker will turn on a dime. I also like the push button activation of the pump. We had a ZTR that did that, and it was nice. (LESCO Z-two sprayer/spreader --- same as Cub Cadet "tank"). This is a feature I wish the T3000 units had so if you're not spraying, the pump won't be on all the time. Thanks for the pics. :usflag:

Larry

You call the Bermuda grass I spray Roundup on a 10 on a 10 scale??? You must be comparing it to your own work.

EARTH5
08-01-2011, 10:47 AM
i would like to spray and spread if possible..... any idea on the ground logic? tried it at the gie and seemed to handle way better then the perma spleen>>>>>

ted putnam
08-01-2011, 06:03 PM
i would like to spray and spread if possible..... any idea on the ground logic? tried it at the gie and seemed to handle way better then the perma spleen>>>>>

RCreech seems to love his. I haven't seen him post on here in a while. I think he's laid up somewhere with a new girlfriend??:laugh: