PDA

View Full Version : New Biz, Old Field

Williams Lawnscape
07-29-2011, 05:04 PM
Hello lawnsite just wanted to post my little venture and how things go for me. First off I am 17 and planning on starting with very little cost. I have equipment that can get the job done but not any fancy brand new commercial stuff. I am also designing a postcard right now and will order 1000 of them soon.

my equipment:

- Big-tex trailer. (9x20 from very back to hitch, used to carry bobcat skid steer) Wonder if I should buy a smaller trailer to start, since im going to be doing small residentual, or just stick to the back of the truck?

-John Deer 14sz, 21 inch, 4 hp walk behind

- John Deer LT133 riding, 38 inch mower (I know not some fancy commercial unit but can get some large jobs done.)

-Earthway ev-n-spred (very good for doing seeding/fertilizing jobs)

- and 3-5 of every type of hand tool you can think of.

p.s:
After I get a good customer base going I am planning to buy better equipment since I know most of my equipment is old and wont last forever. First thing I will buy is a leaf blower for when fall clean up comes around.

And yes I know I am starting late but where I live we are known for have VERY long mowing season and a very average climate year round.

JTVLandscaping
07-29-2011, 06:26 PM
Best of luck! You don't need the newest stuff to do the job, just a good work ethic and an attention to detail.

Williams Lawnscape
07-29-2011, 06:31 PM
Thank you! I am actually fortunate because my dad has been in the landscaping business for 20+ years doing landscape architecture, had his own landscaping business about 10 years back, and he is currently an landscape account manager for valley crest landscaping.

so lets just say I will be looking for a lot of advice from him, and of course this website!

Williams Lawnscape
08-05-2011, 01:28 AM
Well I just ordered some car door magnets and 1000 flyers. I know its late in the season but where I live we mow year round. I know that because my dad works for valleycrest landscaping and he happened to let me see there annual operations calender.

yes I have an enormous advantage having a dad with so much experience in this field but I am doing this mostly on my own, using my own money, own transportation so im not getting set up by my parents.

I will probably get some pictures eventually and start another thread in the picture forum :cool2:

Williams Lawnscape
08-05-2011, 01:39 AM
Just to give an example in my area valleycrest mows 44 out of 52 weeks in a year.

ny scaper
08-05-2011, 01:36 PM
Looks like you have the basics down. That does seem like a big trailer for what you need it for but use what you have until your income supports you buying a different one imo. I would say a trimmer and blower are next on your list. Good luck out there!!

Williams Lawnscape
08-05-2011, 03:49 PM
it is a big trailer, and to be honest i dont even know/good at driving it. right now i have room to fit anything in the back of my truck.

oops i forgot to put down I actually already have 1 tanaka string trimmer, also have an older shindawa string trimmer that needs a tune up with 2 handles that has back pack straps to carry it (also has these deadly looking metal blades that cut the grass.

Id say the shindawa is more for like blackberries and small brush, little over kill for grass. So the blower is definetely next on my list, sweeping everything is going to get old real fast, plus i need a blower for fall that will be coming around soon enough.