PDA

View Full Version : Scag Experts: Problem with SW-36 Mulch Plate Install

Adirondack L&L
07-29-2011, 07:02 PM
Ordered a Scag mulch plate from a local dealer for my 36" SW with the 15 Kohler. Just the plate, not the entire "Hurricane" system that has the extra baffles and all that. Only doing a couple of yards with it, both tall fescue and irrigated, both owners want the yards at 4" at the summer. I figure since I'm not taking off much grass when I cut I may be able to get away with just the block-off plate and a set of Gators. If not I can always change up later.

So I go to install the plate and look over the directions. Remove the discharge chute. Directions reference removing a "turbo baffle," but I can't tell what that is and it isn't referenced anywhere else in the diagrams or mower owners' manual. The plate bolts to the outside of the deck at the rear, and the hole alignment there is fine. But at the front of the deck on the inside, the hole cut in the mulch plate is waaaay to low, like at least 1/2 and inch below the point where it would bolt up properly to the front of the deck.

Here's the info on the plate and mower:

Mulch plate does not have a specific part number stamped on it, just "36 deck," and the instructions dated 9/02 refer to part numbers 9251/2/3/4/5, which I assume are the different numbers for the different deck sizes. So this one I guess is part #9251

Mower: A 2006 or 7 model SW36-15KA belt drive, deck serial number B1200xxx

Any Scag experts out there that can help? Was the part number and design for the mulch plate changed at some point? The 36 has had the advantage deck for ages, not sure if things have changed on it.

Or do I have the right part and am I just making some mistake in installation?

My one return call to the dealer that sold me the part did not prove helpful in the least. Guy tried to tell me my serial number was incorrect and had no insight to offer. Sigh...

Any thoughts are much appreciated.

piston slapper
07-30-2011, 10:51 AM
I'm not a scag expert.

Sounds like scag moved the holes on the deck between 2002 and 2006

I would just get a drill and put the holes where you need them.
One size fits all ? Yeah......