PDA

View Full Version : Walker GHS users, how to get grass from hopper to dump bed?

MacLawnCo
10-25-2002, 07:40 PM
How do you users, or anyone that has seen a LCO do this, how do you get your clippings from the full hopper to the bed of the truck. I was thinking of the high lift dump systems, but at $3000, i cant tell if they are worth the cost. I am thinking that dumping in the street and then loading with a "leaf loader" into a leafbox may be the most effiecient way. Anyone with more efficient ways? I am wanting to use this system all season, so loading just clippings will be the majority of the work.

LAWNGODFATHER
10-25-2002, 07:44 PM
What about that additional high lift thing I have seen in the mags?

Or this www.usaramp.com

In Turf on page B23 they have it going from the trailer to the bed of a flat bed with a Walker mower on it.

mdb landscaping
10-25-2002, 07:44 PM
i dont have a walker, but from reading numerous threads about this, i think your way of sucking them up with the leaf loader would work best. other methods ive heard are dumping into barrels and dumping them in the truck, or dumping onto a tarp and dragging it into the woods, or use another guy to load into a truck.

MacLawnCo
10-25-2002, 07:50 PM
LGF, that is the lift i am refering to. Can a leaf loader efficiently load just clippings is basicly what i am deep down getting at.

Forgot to mention that it is an enclosed trailer.

LAWNGODFATHER
10-25-2002, 07:53 PM
Enclosed trailer....your up Dawson's Creek without a paddle.

Leaf Loader or that High lift system I cann't find a link to.

MacLawnCo
10-25-2002, 08:00 PM
Im leaning to a leafloader. I just want to know if it will take forever sucking up just grass. I have never used a leafloader before. For a little more than the cost of the lift, i can get a loader and box that will hold 4times the ammout of just dumping in the bed.

Green Pastures
10-25-2002, 08:00 PM
That hi-lift for the Walker is $2 or 3 thousand!!! Then you still need a dump truck, or a $2300.00 dump bed insert for your pickup. Just to much money for me right now.

You can get the "Walker" clear plactic bags for the 9.5 bushel hopper for $2.00 each. They can be re-used a few times. I can get two full hoppers of dry grass in one bag and still move the bag by myself into my enclosed trailer. If I had a helper I could put two full hoppers of wet grass in each bag and still move the bag.

I do have several places to dump clippings during the course of a day. One is the recycling facility, and another is a wooded area the city lets me dump grass clippings only.

The Walker is the ticket for me.

Scott

ksland
10-25-2002, 08:01 PM
Driving the walker into the back of the truck will only allow 1 dumping high. You cannot fill the truck up with this method. That high dump deal is way out of my price range just for that. I could see $1000 maybe. Why does a lift setup for a little mower cost more than a 10000 pound dump setup for a whole truck? I too am searching for the ideal way. Currently I just pull clippings out of dump box into a tipped green barrell. I am also pondering the idea of a leaf sucker to pick them up. I am thinking of mounting my sucker on the front tongue of the trailer on top of the cross member with hose facing back towards the trailer deck. I am thinking of dumping on the trailer deck itself and before loading the walker back up sucking up the grass. My question is has anyone used suckers for grass clippings? I am curious how well it works. I have a 16hp lesco unit.

LAWNGODFATHER
10-25-2002, 08:02 PM
Yup, it will clog some but that's life on the smaller leaf loaders.

Plus you can use it to vac the leaves from the curb.

Hey I got an idea for you.

When you haul whatever away from the curb,give them a seprate price so you get paid more to haul the debris. I do that for leaves, you can impliment it for grass to.

MacLawnCo
10-25-2002, 08:22 PM
Yep, LGF, i am going to implememt something like that, but with out the aditional fee. I am going to incorpoate that into the price. I am going to build a niche market in my area. Noone bags arround my area, but I believe the homeowners are more than willing to splurge for the service(at least the ones who care about how their lawn looks). Those are the clients I will be targeting. I think that by creating a market, I will be much better off than by trying to compete in the cutthroat "basic lawn service" arena. Just my thoughts. I will let yall know how it goes.

Green Pastures
10-25-2002, 08:31 PM
Jason,

NOW YOU'RE TALKING. Be a leader, don't follow the pack, make the trail, create your own market!!!

Dude this is the kind of daring thinking that makes America great. Jason you can do ANYTHING you set your mind to do. Don't let anybody talk you down dude, keep your vision, and don't stop.

Scott

Cleve
10-25-2002, 08:41 PM
I have a '94 model GHS that has the smaller hopper. I do know that when it is full of grass it is a bit more than I want to pick up in a single container.
I purchased some of the Rubbermaid Brute containers that are 28 gallon and square in shape. Two of these parked behind the Walker will easily hold a full hopper. They might even hold the larger hopper. I also use a plastic bag in each and just pull it out. Makes a fairly easy to handle load and in most cases I reuse the bags.
Cleve.

Kent Lawns
10-25-2002, 09:03 PM
In the walker website, they have old walker talk archives and I read one with 4-5 options (all which made sense) and gave the websites for each and testimonies for all.

There are ways, 'cause dealing with clippings is a pita.

landscaper3
10-25-2002, 09:27 PM
Godfather has a great response, We added a 4' tailgate to the front of one of our trailers with another 3' to truck we drive our Walkers right up to the inside of our dumptruck and also use a leaf loader and dump at truck and suck!

cantoo
10-25-2002, 09:42 PM
MacLawnCo, go to a farm seed or fertilizer plant and buy some of the used bulk seed bags. this is what we use here, they will hold all you want to put in them and won't rip. They have built in handles that you can actually pull out of the trailer with your mower. These ones look like mine.
http://www.bulkbaguk.co.uk/index.asp

hustlers
10-25-2002, 10:25 PM
i got one with a leaf loader on a old dump
truck, it might take a 15 minutes for
a fall cleanup to suck up a huge pile of
leaves.

Bagging is worthless, reuse, recycle and
dont waste

Bagging grass is the easiest way to destroy
fertility of the soil, you probably need
an extra 1.5 lb N per 1000 just to
compensate for the clippings

mulch leaves first, then bag some of the
leftovers

MacLawnCo
10-25-2002, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by MacLawnCo
I am going to build a niche market in my area. Noone bags arround my area, but I believe the homeowners are more than willing to splurge for the service(at least the ones who care about how their lawn looks). Those are the clients I will be targeting. I think that by creating a market, I will be much better off than by trying to compete in the cutthroat "basic lawn service" arena.

thanks, but this is the way i am trying to go

Kent Lawns
10-25-2002, 10:57 PM
www.walkermowers.com
walker talk
volume 10
3rd article

BigJim
10-26-2002, 06:19 AM
Bag it and stack it.

Ax Man
10-26-2002, 08:46 AM
If you are forced for now to use a pick up and enclosed trailer, try this.
1) Put a tarp in the pick up bed before dumping
(to speed up dumping at the end of the day)

2) Attach a long tarp to the side pockets of the bed and lay the end on the ground.

3) Dump your load on that, then pull the grass/ leaves in.

4)Repeat as necessary.

5) Save your pennies and get a dump truck and open trailer so you can set up a ramp system.
Best of luck!

Green Pastures
10-26-2002, 10:55 AM
Big Jim,

That looks like a nice set-up. Do you have a side ramp gate yoo use to get the Walker on the trailer. I see you aren't driving it up on the back.

Any more pics of your setup. I'm looking at alternatives to the dump bed. Thanks!!!

Scott

BigJim
10-26-2002, 06:39 PM
Walker goes on the front,just drop the ramp and off you go.This is the Mark 1 trailer,just a conversion of a standard Jim's trailer.Mark 2 will be tandem axle and the rear cage will be a tipper.Loading in the bags is quite good because you can stack them up in the trailer,no need to cover anything because grass can't blow out and its very quick to unload,just roll the bags out and empty at the dump.Ultimately I would love a HiLift catcher set up to dump straight into a tipping trailer but they are way too expensive down here,altough didn't I read some where Walker are developing thier own one?.Cheers.......

OBRYANMAINT
10-26-2002, 11:21 PM
we use a "lawn bag" similar to jims but empty them into aninsert dump in the pickup...during the mowing season when we get to fall the vac is on the truck and we use that

Yardworks
10-27-2002, 06:55 AM
Another solution to collecting clipping and fall clean-up is using a dump trailer. I bought one this fall and it has really made fall clean-up much easier and more efficient. You just back up the ramp and dump. No mess on the ground to clean up. I got a 14' trailer so I usually have enough room to haul one of the mowers with collection system in this trailer. I'm guessing I can haul around 8-10 yards of debris and still have room for one mower set-up. I put 4*8 sheets of treated plywood around the front of the trailer to increase load capacity. Just an idea.

Brickman
10-27-2002, 07:15 AM
I had a canvas bag. Dump the Walker into it, and then into the truck. At the end of the day fork em out with a silage fork. I looked at alternate ways of doing it, and finally decided on mulching. Handling all the clippings every day, every day gets old in a hurry.

John Gamba
10-27-2002, 04:10 PM
Why bag grass, buy a Lazer.
John

Green Pastures
10-27-2002, 04:52 PM
I hear ya John, but my Walker doesn't leave all that green crud on folks driveways! :D :D :D

Scott

allenandinga
10-27-2002, 05:30 PM
assuming you pull your mower on a trailer, a neat and fairly cheap way to accomplish this goal is to have fold down ramp on the front of your trailer so you can back the mower into the truck and dump.

CMerLand
10-27-2002, 06:52 PM
Dont have any information on it, but at the last trade show I attended I saw an interesting attachment to handle these clippings. I have a walker so I too am looking for a great way to handle these.

The unit mounted to the side of your standard mason dump and basically looked like a 8 ft long by 4 foot deep side mounted dumpster. Almost looks like the units on our local recycling trucks. You would drive up and dump your walker a few times in the hopper, hit a button and it would lift the hopper up and over the side of the truck and then lower back down for the next few loads. When in between sites it would flip up inside the truck and ride centered on top of the dump bed.

Was a pretty cool design, sold for something north of 3000 and for those of you using two or three walkers on a site, is much cheaper than adding a high lifter to each mower.

Just wish I had more info on the thing to share but will keep an eye out for them at the next show.

CMerrick

IBGreen
10-27-2002, 08:10 PM
Buy a Big Tex 61/2x12 ft. single axle trailer brand new with a gate and 2 ft sides for $900.00. Use it for the rest of you're life and be trouble free. Ride on dump; ride off and be happy!

bluemoon
10-27-2002, 09:11 PM
I have a Walker20hp.w/48"GHS. When I first started 3 yrs ago I also had a Parker debris vacuum. My plan was to dump at the rear of pickup and suck clippings up and shoot into back of truck. The Parker worked great, 16hp , would suck the chrome of the bumper. It would shoot clippings into back of truck so fast they would not stay in. If I throttled down it still would do it. I had vacuum mounted on tongue of trailer and the set up was good, the Parker just had too much power. What I figured out if you use a vacuum to load clippings, your truck or trailer better be set up like the hopper on your walker. On the Walker the screen allows air to vent through, you must do the same on your truck or the air will blow the clippings right back out on the ground. If you have ever seen some of the tree trimmers set up for loading wood chips. Something like that would work, but you still have to factor the air. Also if you get all that set up , how will you get the clippings back out of truck or trailer. If you blow them in they will be tight, and they don't come out very easy. I gave up on this idea the first year and dumped on ground , then pitched fork into truck and pitched fork them off at the dump. It wasn't much fun but I was new and had spent all the money I could. That pickup blew up on my very last job of my first season. I shopped around and ended up buying a 92 Dodge 350 w/flatbed. The bed was 8x12 and I bought a ramp from USA ramp for 200.00. So now I ramp onto trailer then onto truck and dump. For the money it works and was cheap. I still have to pitch fork the clippings off the truck and if my load is big enough I sometimes have to pitch fork the clippings around on the truck to get them all on. I am currently shopping for a dump bed or converting my bed to dump,that way I won't have to manually fork off. The ramp works ok, but keep this in mind. it isn't rated to handle a loaded Walker, so to be safe , I built some extra support under the flex joint. Also the ramp only gives you about 6inches of clearance on each drive tire as one backs up the ramp. It really isn't safe, one wrong move on the levers and you might have that 10,000 dollar mower in a heap on the ground. Like I said it works, but I am going to build a better ramp to truck soon.In fact when I bought my ramp from usa, they had never seen one used the way I set it up. In fact they use my picture on some of the advertisements. If they would beef up the strength and the width on the ramps it would be very good and simple set up. I have talked to guys who have used tarps and barrels and they all say find a better way. There are 2 companies out there that build for handling grass. These set up are the best in my opinion but they are expensive. The first is www.dump&go.com, this company is out of Sedgwick Kansas, and the second is www.debrissystems.com , this outfit calls theirs the klipping king. If you want to dream a little check these out. I can't tell you which way to go , when I bought my Walker , handling the grass was my biggest question. It still is, however I think I will end up buying a set up from dump&go as soon as I can afford it. I am a one man operation and I try to minimize the manual work as much as I can. I have talked to about 10 different LCO's who own these fancy setups and they all say they wish they had done it sooner even though it was expensive. Sorry for the lengthy reply, I love my Walker, but hate handling clippings. GOOD LUCK

MacLawnCo
10-27-2002, 10:07 PM
Bluemoon, thank you for the info. The walker is going into a 24' enclosed trailer and i plan on upgrading to a F3/450 dump. How long did it take to just vaccum up the clippings, from a yard of how many sq ft? Air flow is not a problem. I will build a box similar to LGFs leaf box with a breatable tarp across the entire top. There are immages floating on here if you want to see it. Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

bluemoon
10-28-2002, 11:18 AM
MacLawnCo,
Average yard 10,000 to 15,000 sq.ft. and maybe it took 5 minutes tops. It really took longer to start the vacuum and get the hose ready and put the hose back in the rack for transport, than it took to actually suck up the debris.
Hope it helps.

MacLawnCo
10-28-2002, 02:13 PM
Bluemoon,

That helps alot. One more...how many dumps did you have to do on a 10-15 K lawn? What size hopper was that? Thanks alot!

bluemoon
10-28-2002, 06:04 PM
MacLawnCo,
I have 9.5 bu. hopper.
Usually 1 to 1.5 dumps per yard. If i get to 2 dumps I start complaining about watering. If i can control water I try to keep yard green and down to 1 dump per yard. I stress , not often am I in control of water. Honestly, where I live this isn't a problem, most people here don't water enough.
Hope it helps.

MacLawnCo
10-28-2002, 06:49 PM
Bluemoon,

you have been a great resource-THANKS

Shady Brook
10-28-2002, 11:15 PM
Wow, It sure seems like a lot of hastle dealing with all those clippings. The walker that elevates and dumps in your truck looks great, but if I had to buy a vac system, or deal with bags and stuff, it would hardly seem worth it. It would seem easier to me to get a Z with a spindle driven grass catcher that has individual bags to dump in your truck. That seems more convienient for dumping purposes, and allows flexibility to side discharge without the bag if you were so inclined. It just seems time cunsuming, and costly to contend with all the clippings under the circumstances mentioned above.

Jay