PDA

View Full Version : Wasp control

zx14
07-30-2011, 02:01 PM
The wife just got stung again and I have to get this stopped. They are around the house going behind the shutters. I have a gas powered mister blower I use for mosquitos (mosquito barrier) and it works well. Wondering what would be best to use for wasp up around the house. Thanks for replies!

Ric
07-30-2011, 02:46 PM
The wife just got stung again and I have to get this stopped. They are around the house going behind the shutters. I have a gas powered mister blower I use for mosquitos (mosquito barrier) and it works well. Wondering what would be best to use for wasp up around the house. Thanks for replies!

Z

I have found Parsons Sudding Ammonia is the best thing to put on a sting to suck the poison out. the quicker you use it the better it works. It takes away a lot of pain. Windex, stick deodorant, Alcohol, and wet chewing tobacco work also

I personally would try the Wasp and Hornet spray can from the hardware store. Beside a strong stream and plenty of distances they are very quick killing insecticides. You can spray the shutter or behind them because of the pressure and distance they reach

In Edit

Don't forget to keep Benadryl around for a reaction to the stings.

Florida Gardener
07-30-2011, 03:33 PM
Z

I have found Parsons Sudding Ammonia is the best thing to put on a sting to suck the poison out. the quicker you use it the better it works. It takes away a lot of pain. Windex, stick deodorant, Alcohol, and wet chewing tobacco work also

I personally would try the Wasp and Hornet spray can from the hardware store. Beside a strong stream and plenty of distances they are very quick killing insecticides. You can spray the shutter or behind them because of the pressure and distance they reach

In Edit

Don't forget to keep Benadryl around for a reaction to the stings.

I agree with Ric. The stuff at home depot works real good. I have a customer that had a nice sized nest under her roof. I sprayed the nest and they dropped like flies within seconds. Plus it does have a good spray stream and distance.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ric
07-30-2011, 04:24 PM
I agree with Ric. The stuff at home depot works real good. I have a customer that had a nice sized nest under her roof. I sprayed the nest and they dropped like flies within seconds. Plus it does have a good spray stream and distance.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yo Guys

I don't see any Ag Inspector gigging you for unlicensed carrying a Can of Wasp Spray with you at all times. You are not doing pest control service only protecting yourself. The same can is able to kill Fire Mounts quickly also. I wouldn't say it was the most economic way to control Fire Ants. But it can clear a small area you are working in. Once again I don't see any legal issues here either. True the LETTER of the law might make it illegal, but the INTEND is not to keep you from protecting yourself.

The other thing you need to carry here in Florida is the Parson's Sudding Ammonia for sting and bites. It will suck the poison out and make your bite a less painful experience. Straight Ammonia works also but the soap in Parson's sudding Ammonia works like a stricker or surfactant to make the ammonia work better.

zx14
07-30-2011, 04:25 PM
Any thoughts with Bifen XTS. I am looking for something with some residual also.

Ric
07-30-2011, 04:31 PM
Any thoughts with Bifen XTS. I am looking for something with some residual also.

Z

Bifen XTS is a great product and I buy it by the case. BUT it doesn't have the Quick Knock down of wasp spray. I am not a Tree Hugger but I do believe in responsible pesticide application. A good application with Wasp spray won't give as long a residual but it will be long enough to control your problem and keep it controlled. To start with Bifen XTS might mean a whole lot of stings and to make a second application with Bifen XTS would be a Waste, Over Kill and unnecessary

Think Green
07-30-2011, 10:56 PM
Ric,

I know that most of us knows the homeopathic use of products containing ammonia to eliminate the stinging effects of wasp and hornet stings......not forgetting bee stings once the stinger and internal gland is removed from the injection site is normal.
I just want to say--" (From the view point of a licensed RN here at a local hospital with 25 years of experience--looked at me funny when I mentioned the use of such a ointment!" ) She said-" Who in the world told you of such idiotic methods of sting remediation?"

Anyway--No sense arguing with a Board Certified Nurse on a short subject that isn't worth the spit over.

I just wanted to add this to this thread................sorry didn't mean to high jack the intentions of the original poster.

Ric
07-30-2011, 11:11 PM
Ric,

I know that most of us knows the homeopathic use of products containing ammonia to eliminate the stinging effects of wasp and hornet stings......not forgetting bee stings once the stinger and internal gland is removed from the injection site is normal.
I just want to say--" (From the view point of a licensed RN here at a local hospital with 25 years of experience--looked at me funny when I mentioned the use of such a ointment!" ) She said-" Who in the world told you of such idiotic methods of sting remediation?"

Anyway--No sense arguing with a Board Certified Nurse on a short subject that isn't worth the spit over.

I just wanted to add this to this thread................sorry didn't mean to high jack the intentions of the original poster.

Think Green

I listen when the old ladies tell their "Wives Tales". What I have noticed is the ones that work, you can trace back to serious science. So it is with Home or homeopathic remedies.

topsites
07-30-2011, 11:13 PM
Eliminator Wasp & Hornet Killer
Spray reaches 20+ feet above ground, fires off a blast of liquid insecticide (Tetramethrin Permethrin and Piperonyl butoxide) that kills on contact.
Kills Yellow Jackets and Insects returning to the nest too, spray and forget, once treated and done.
And no I didn't understand what all of that meant either but I know it works!
Buy at Wal-Mart
$2 each, get a dozen.

RigglePLC
07-30-2011, 11:41 PM
It might leave a little white residue--but I suggest Sevin. It is great on flies and bees. You need to work it into the slats of the shutters. You want some residual to knock out the nest. Ours get infested with hornets also--pain in the patootie.
Probably best to apply when temps are low at night. They are lethargic when cool and don't really like to fly at night. Use a flashlight. If you don't like the white residue, use the Bifen or any pyrithroid--mostly fast-acting--not much residual.
Consider a followup with a wasp trap.
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&xhr=t&q=wasp+trap&cp=6&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=1024&bih=595&wrapid=tljp1312080005875010&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=9255807607526511239&sa=X&ei=jsA0ToOLKYjnsQL2yYGdCw&sqi=2&ved=0CG8Q8gIwBQ#

93Chevy
07-31-2011, 12:11 AM
Sevin works really well if you can puff the dust directly into the nest hole, provided it's a single-hole nest. It'll stick to all the bodies and any insects returning will pick it up also.

zx14
07-31-2011, 01:34 AM
The wife feeds well over 20 hummingbirds and the feeders attract the wasp, ants, etc. We live well over 600 feet into the woods by a pond, with an open 2 acres, surrounded by woods. You name it and it is back here with us. I think something a little more then wasp spray could be used here. Thanks again for the thoughts and opinions.

rlitman
08-01-2011, 01:16 PM
Ric,

Ammonia is not a homeopathic remedy for stings (homeopathic formulas contain pretty much nothing more than water, holistic remedies are another story). It is well known to neutralize the toxins in many kinds of stings (it is also frequently used on jellyfish stings).
There is a product called "Afterbite" that contains a much stronger form of ammonia, in gel form (so it stays in place). It comes in a convenient tube too.

Ric
08-01-2011, 02:27 PM
The wife feeds well over 20 hummingbirds and the feeders attract the wasp, ants, etc. We live well over 600 feet into the woods by a pond, with an open 2 acres, surrounded by woods. You name it and it is back here with us. I think something a little more then wasp spray could be used here. Thanks again for the thoughts and opinions.

Z

Good Luck. Sounds like you need a Crop Duster.

Ammonia is not a homeopathic remedy for stings (homeopathic formulas contain pretty much nothing more than water, holistic remedies are another story). It is well known to neutralize the toxins in many kinds of stings (it is also frequently used on jellyfish stings).
There is a product called "Afterbite" that contains a much stronger form of ammonia, in gel form (so it stays in place). It comes in a convenient tube too.

Rlitman

I am not into the difference between Homeopathic Vs Holistic medicine but ammonia is both an Astringent and Oxidizer. The Astringent part helps to remove the toxin while Oxidation is what neutralizes the Toxin. I recommend Parsons Suddying Ammonia because the detergent or soap works like a herbicide sticker and keep the AI of ammonia on the sting wetter longer or the same theory as the After bite gel. Besides House Hold Ammonia can be found in just about every home.

rlitman
08-01-2011, 06:34 PM
I'm not into homeopathy or holistic medicine, but some "home remedies" really work.
I'd read that the ammonia acts as a base, neutralizing the formic acid in the sting.
Whatever it is, ammonia helps my stings and bites.