PDA

View Full Version : I donít trust those big locks anymore

Likestomow
10-25-2002, 10:12 PM
I got ripped off again last weekend, making it twice now in two years. My trimmer rack is too strong to break, but the locks arenít. Two years ago I had a cheap $9 lock that took the thief probably five seconds to snap with a crow bar. I figured it was partly my fault for making it so easy for him, so I went out and bought the biggest hunkiní Master lock I could find for $25.

I have relied on this lock for two years, but now I realize that it has been a big mistake.

It was plain to see where the bolt cutters bit into the shackle, but the shackle didnít get cut through! --- it CRACKED right in half, and my trimmers went bye bye.

The rest of my stuff is locked up with these really cheap, made in China, round disc locks like you see at storage lockers and such. The shackle is only exposed for about ĺ of an inch, so when they are deployed, there is no way to get a bolt cutter on them.

I have decided to switch everything I lock over to these locks. Even the chain I use to lock my trailer down with is going to get a 3/8 inch piece of flat bar welded to the end so I can use the disc lock on it too.

I called the manufacturer of the locks and they said it was extremely hard for anyone to cut through them with a bolt cutter because of the stainless steel shroud around the shackle.

Iím through with those flimsy and expensive Master locks!

Ryan Lightning
10-25-2002, 10:45 PM
http://www.americanlocks.com/

Look at some of the American locks, I cant find it on there site because theres so many, but I have a lock that has sides that cover the shackle, and theres no way to use bolt cutters on it. also look at model 2000 on the opening page, it might work.

cantoo
10-25-2002, 10:49 PM
Motion detector with lights and siren might work better.

Hooked up to an exploding ink pack would be a nice added touch.

Ryan Lightning
10-25-2002, 10:54 PM
Heres the lock I use. There not cheap! I got my used at a lock smith. lol I wish I bought the other one he had.

http://www.americanlocks.com/item1.asp?int_ID=12

Green Pastures
10-25-2002, 11:02 PM
That's a serious lock! Thanks for sharing.

I've never been ripped off. But my enclosed trailer gets parked in my driveway every night. I have the Master locks on it now. I have good insurance too, no deductable on theft.

If I ever do get hit, I'll be getting some of those locks.

Scott

DLCS
10-26-2002, 01:48 AM
The round locks you are refering to are called chinrose locks. They are the best locks you can get that are bolt cutter proof. Most vending machines and alot of trucking companies use these because bolt cutters will not fit on them. I haven't had a master lock yet that I couldn't just take a hammer and hit the bottom of the lock to break it.

Mike
DLCS

Darb
10-26-2002, 02:59 AM
I know these locks as Discus or sometimes spelled Diskus. Several companies make these style locks... I like the ones made by Abus. These use mushroom pins that are pick resistant, also the case is resistant to busting when beat with a hammer, and of course simply by design bolt cutters can't get a bite on them. The Abus can also be keyed however you wish (a locks different, all alike, or with a master key... they can also be changed if a former employee "lost" the keys).

BigJim
10-26-2002, 06:12 AM
Most of the Master locks you buy here have the words Made in China on the back of the packet.I have an US made Master lock and it is much stronger than the Chinese ones,guess there another US firm thats moved overseas.

firefighter
10-26-2002, 06:42 AM
Use a electric fencer, a HOT one. Works every time.

gravedigger5
10-26-2002, 10:42 AM
:gunsfirin :cry: :help: When all else fails I get out the big artillary.:cool:

Albemarle Lawn
10-26-2002, 11:14 AM
Keeps ground hogs and all vermin human or rodent away.

Albemarle Lawn
10-26-2002, 11:16 AM
http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/weapons/lr-24v.asp

gravedigger5
10-26-2002, 11:18 AM
I was thinking more of my 44 mag with 240 grain hydashocks.:D

Albemarle Lawn
10-26-2002, 12:23 PM
I could sight em in the scope while their arms are spread trying to cut my lock with the bolt cutters.

Or, if I'm in a good mood I'll shoot the bolt cutters right out of their hands and watch them try to run with poop in their drawers.

trimmer
10-26-2002, 09:51 PM
I got robbed last year, somebody broke into my shop and took all of our two cycle equipment. If I ever catch somebody trying to steal from me, ecspecially the things I use to make a living, I will have to put them on the wrong side of the grass. That just pisses me off that somebody thinks they deserve the my stuff more than I do.

Darb
10-26-2002, 11:05 PM
I agree that anyone who steals from someone deserves to be punished... just be careful, as you are not the one that wants to be spending time in jail.
Darb

Likestomow
10-26-2002, 11:28 PM
I have since installed the motion detector floodlights with the inside alarm. Itís gone off twice since last week, and both times Iíve bailed outside, flashlight in one hand and the big gun (Glock 21) in the other for self-defense. Didnít see anyone, but if they were hiding, I hope they got a look at the pistole. Iím going to buy a shoulder holster, so I can carry the cell phone with me next time. Before the floods stayed on all the time, but now they only come on when activated, and I think this causes a bit of surprise. At least now I feel I have a chance.

Ryan Lightning
10-26-2002, 11:37 PM
Your open trailer is just out in the open?
If so, Id get a steal car port from Home depot, are build one, and totally enclose it. Your equipment will last longer and it wil be safer from theifs! You could also keep a dog in there.

bubble boy
10-27-2002, 01:49 AM
sign that says SMILE your on camera

then buy a red LED and place in a nearby window

might deter

i was thinking of small stickers for the truck and trailer too with the same message. can't hurt

Brickman
10-27-2002, 07:09 AM
I guess I was always lucky. I never had any thing stollen from me except some trashy parking cones. Nuttin else.

I think the dog idea, pitt bull chained to the trailer would be good.

Or the gun. Here is a good one that would also make a thief s$it and run. Hook up speakers to your lights, and play the sound of a maching gun at close range when the lights come on. :D Some thing tells me this might work on the kind of low life chickens that would steal from a working man.

Ryan Lightning
10-27-2002, 11:37 AM
Also try and set the motion dector up to work only above 2' so animals dont set it off. Youll set the alarm off alot if you dont.

mattupde
10-27-2002, 09:48 PM
yeah and if the bushmaster doesnt work for thiefs it sure does cause alot of havoc in MD DC and VA
just make sure your trailer doesnt look like a box truck or an impala

lawncuttinfoo
07-10-2006, 09:30 AM
Has anyone seen a well constructed coded lock (letters and #'s) instead of keyed?

Sandgropher
07-10-2006, 10:18 AM
I hope nobody loses there keys with all these unbreakable locks, or have the key break inside.:cry:
*aussieflag*

topsites
07-10-2006, 10:43 AM
http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/weapons/lr-24v.asp

Yes we know what the bushmaster looks like, we had this guy the DC sniper who was so kind as to demonstrate his for all of us.
For some reason they threw him and his buddy in jail with much prejudice, I don't think they want to consider parole, either.

MMLawn
07-10-2006, 02:10 PM
Yes we know what the bushmaster looks like, we had this guy the DC sniper who was so kind as to demonstrate his for all of us.
For some reason they threw him and his buddy in jail with much prejudice, I don't think they want to consider parole, either.

Maybe they didn't know about the sniper when this thread that you quoted was posted since it was SINCE THIS THREAD IS FOUR (4) YEARS OLD BING POSTED IN 2002........ :dizzy: Topsites you are so damn determined to have an opinion on every single thing that comes up on LS, maybe you should actually READ the threads before you respond that way it would keep you from constantly inserting your foot into your mouth.

grass_cuttin_fool
07-10-2006, 02:39 PM
:clapping: :laugh: :laugh: Maybe they didn't know about the sniper when this thread that you quoted was posted since it was SINCE THIS THREAD IS FOUR (4) YEARS OLD BING POSTED IN 2002........ :dizzy: Topsites you are so damn determined to have an opinion on every single thing that comes up on LS, maybe you should actually READ the threads before you respond that way it would keep you from constantly inserting your foot into your mouth.

:hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :clapping:

wayne

jameson
07-10-2006, 03:36 PM
Maybe they didn't know about the sniper when this thread that you quoted was posted since it was SINCE THIS THREAD IS FOUR (4) YEARS OLD BING POSTED IN 2002........ :dizzy: Topsites you are so damn determined to have an opinion on every single thing that comes up on LS, maybe you should actually READ the threads before you respond that way it would keep you from constantly inserting your foot into your mouth.

I believe that the Beltway-Sniper(s) were active during the first few weeks of Oct 2002...

In fact one of the posters seems to allude the havoc being caused in MD DC and VA.

Seems Topsy was not so far out of line.

kmann
07-10-2006, 05:18 PM
They make locks that Bolt Cutters can't cut. You need a torch. Just don't lose the key.

General Landscaping
07-10-2006, 09:32 PM
Does anyone make some custom stickers with "thieves die" and a hanging figure?
Something graphic that states your stance on theft with no uncertain terms?
Stick 'em on the trailer at the entry points and on the tongue. Make them glow in the dark with reflective outline.

I would feel better disemboweling someone knowing they were warned.

Audrey
07-11-2006, 12:18 AM
Has anyone seen a well constructed coded lock (letters and #'s) instead of keyed?

Here ya go....
http://www.padlocks4less.com/Products/Sesamee.htm

I can NOT recommend this website. It's merely being shown for information purposes. Go to your local locksmith and ask him/her for this product. Copy the model(s) down that might work for you and show him. That saves legwork and he will know exactly what you're after.

Sesamee is a decent lock. Master's more expensive lines are as well. They are USA made and do hold up. American Lock is owned by Master.

If you would like to get something really worthwhile, look into high security padlocks. Mul-T-Lock, Medeco, Miwa, Assa, etc...
You might drop $100+ on a padlock, but you have positive key control and the finest product on the market. It will also last you for a decade of heavy use.

The Master Pro series is a decent line. They are a shrouded shakle, solid brass, or weather tight as well. These all have the Boron alloy shakle. If you go with the medium or large size, they will never be cut with conventional bolt cutters. Not even the 4' ones. The smallest size cannot be cut with 30" bolt cutters. They are not case hardened like the normal padlock. Some of these are also capable of being keyed to your shop or house key if you wish. All of them are rekeyable if the need should arise. They also have spool pins to deter picking. They start around $20 and top out about $60.

You can also get a 6" long shakle with these to lock gas pumps.

A