PDA

View Full Version : How to pay a door hanger/sales rep

alegrier
07-31-2011, 08:09 AM
Hello All,

I'm about 3 years into my lawn treatment business and I'm planning on brining in someone on a part time basis to find communities and door hang with possibly a bit of door to door. I'm currently teaching somone who to make the sale should and when they encounter homeowners. I don't want to pay this person hourly or by salary. I want to a commission which they are fine with. My question is how should I set this up. I'm curious to know a company like Scotts or Trugreen pays their sales rep. Does anyone know the answer to this? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
AL

DiscoDave
08-03-2011, 08:00 PM
I am a salesman/manager for a lawn and landscape company.

I am paid a base salary plus a commission.

PlantscapeSolutions
08-06-2011, 01:25 AM
Usually it's best to use an outside company where you have a fixed price per household for door hangers.

GoneFishin'
12-21-2011, 10:22 PM
I know this thread is old but anyway... I worked for TruGreen as a residential sales rep. They payed salary (worked out to about $15 an hour or $30k a year base) plus commission. They paid a front end commission (upon sale) and a back end or production commission when each application was produced. I forget exact percentages but the commission worked out to be around 10 percent I think.

alegrier
12-22-2011, 09:16 AM
It's never too late. Thanks for the response. I'm actually still working on putting together a compensation plan so this information is helpful.

Green Scape
12-22-2011, 12:00 PM
Usually it's best to use an outside company where you have a fixed price per household for door hangers.

And where do you find one of these "companies".....even most temp. agencies will not hire door to door sales work b/c of the insurance and liability.....

Maybe i'll start a business where all we do is door hang!

WeedWhipper
12-30-2011, 06:57 PM
I think we use our local voa to spread our hangers, you can also use corrections facilities for minors (for minors to do there community service etc) we have one here called a "boys ranch" this has worked well for us because you pay a fee or donation and the customers like to see US helping the community
Posted via Mobile Device

biodale
12-31-2011, 12:42 AM
Think hard before you hire someone on commission sales. I won't go into the details of my painful experience, but it was expensive. L&I does not considers a commission salesman of a service an independent contractor. You must keep track of hours worked and they commission must work out to at least minimum wage. You will need to pay all employment taxes and L&I taxes and withholding. If your employee is not happy and calls the state employment agency or L&I, it will trigger an audit and you will lose the appeal and you will pay all back monies owed and penalties and interest.
Like I said, think about it.