PDA

View Full Version : More Brown Recluse, and Chigger bites because of the heat?

spray_man
07-31-2011, 09:50 AM
More Brown Recluse, and Chigger bites because of the heat?

Always feared being bitten by a Brown Recluse spider. Never thought much about Chiggers. Today I am nursing a Recluse bite, and suffering from multiple (50 +) Chigger bites. The only thing I am doing different? I am having to wear short pants and short sleeve shirts, because of the heat. This is what I learned:

Get to a doctor or ER ASAP after a Recluse bite. I got there withing 24 hrs. The quicker you lance/remove some of the poison, and start taking antibiotics, the less damage done. BTW the bite is a single puncture (looks like a small pimple after about 8 hrs), and will not itch like any other bite. It will hurt more, and feel like you have a knot under the skin the size of a large quarter, and growing. Do not know if repellent failed or not, because I do not know when or where the spider came from.

Chiggers can be repelled by insect repellent (DEET) Although they must be able to crawl on it to the untreated areas. My leg, arms, neck, and face where treated. I have bites in the crotch waist (many right around the belt area - could not get mast the tight belt), and upper arms/shoulders. The itching is intensive, and cortisone cream does not work. A hot bath, soap/I used Head and Shoulders shampoo - seems to work better. Try to scrub the areas - not too ruff - with a towel or sponge. Chiggers are microscopic/cant see them. They will attach to the skin and feed on the protein, by liquefying it. No need for a doctor on this one, unless you scratch too much and get an infection.

gregory
07-31-2011, 10:19 AM
damn what the hell were you doing?

good luck.......

White Gardens
07-31-2011, 10:37 AM
Are you sure they are Chiggers?

A chigger will start to burrow into your skin. Growing up and playing in the grass, what everyone called chiggers were actually something else.

spray_man
07-31-2011, 10:37 AM
I can only speculate where I was when I got bitten. The Recluse bite doesn't hurt until about an hour. The chigger bite takes 2 -3 hours to notice.

zx14
07-31-2011, 10:43 AM
Around here, turkey mites are terrible. A friend of mine was put into the hospital after riding his 4 wheeler in the woods. Was covered head to toe with turkey mite bites.

Ric
07-31-2011, 10:46 AM
damn what the hell were you doing?

good luck.......

Karl

Same thing I am thinking. You have to be in some deep woods to get that bit up. But I have Been There and Done That hog hunting. They are not a pleasant experience.

spray_man
07-31-2011, 11:45 AM
Are you sure they are Chiggers?

A chigger will start to burrow into your skin. Growing up and playing in the grass, what everyone called chiggers were actually something else.

I'm 100% sure. All of the symptoms are there, and I spent last night reading on the NET. I could not sleep. The itching is intense. Some articles specifically said "Chiggers do not burrow into the skin - like ticks. They have a "stinger" like device that does not come off after the bite, however - big however - they remain connected from 1 to 3 days - That is why after you bathe and scrub the area it removes them from the skin, and the itching goes away. I'll post some picks - ASAP

Patriot Services
07-31-2011, 11:54 AM
Put your pants and sleeves back on. Even in FL the smart guys were the long clothes. Benadryl at 50mg every 6 hours should help with itching and let you rest. Fluids will help dilute and excrete the toxins. Pool, hot tub or sauna also gives relief.
Posted via Mobile Device

spray_man
07-31-2011, 12:00 PM
It looks like the Chigger is inveded in the skin on the first picture. If you read the attached link it tell you that it is a pore in the skin. The leg picture is not mine. The bites look different, depending on how you react to bites. My bites looked exactly like mosquito bites. Initially I thought I was attacked by mosquitoes. But, could not figure out how they got inside my drawers.

http://www.medicinenet.com/chiggers_bites/article.htm

jvanvliet
07-31-2011, 01:17 PM
Put your pants and sleeves back on. Even in FL the smart guys were the long clothes. Benadryl at 50mg every 6 hours should help with itching and let you rest. Fluids will help dilute and excrete the toxins. Pool, hot tub or sauna also gives relief.
Posted via Mobile Device

I'm with the Patriot here, I can't believe anyone would not wear long pants and sleeves down here doing this work. I've seen nit-wits in shorts muscle T and sandals.

Any way, we wear long lightweight khaki's, roomy light weight long sleeved company shirts, boots & socks above the ankle and Nitril gloves for... you know.

I keep antihistamine in liquid form on the trucks just in case.

Down here we run into coral snakes, pygmy rattlers, cotton-mouths, scorpions, pythons, hostile iguanas big enough to make boots out of. Not to mention gators, wild boars you name it. Then every insect that bites, africanized bee colonies that like to nest in water meter boxes, wasps, hornets, fire ants that are born pi$$ed off that doesn't include the foliage that is an irritant or has thorns big enough to rip flesh out of your body.

Best to be a little warmer, drink more water and move just a little more slowly.

Those bite's look like they'll be uncomfortable for a while.

spray_man
07-31-2011, 01:39 PM
I'm with the Patriot here, I can't believe anyone would not wear long pants and sleeves down here doing this work. I've seen nit-wits in shorts muscle T and sandals.

Any way, we wear long lightweight khaki's, roomy light weight long sleeved company shirts, boots & socks above the ankle and Nitril gloves for... you know.

I keep antihistamine in liquid form on the trucks just in case.

Down here we run into coral snakes, pygmy rattlers, cotton-mouths, scorpions, pythons, hostile iguanas big enough to make boots out of. Not to mention gators, wild boars you name it. Then every insect that bites, africanized bee colonies that like to nest in water meter boxes, wasps, hornets, fire ants that are born pi$$ed off that doesn't include the foliage that is an irritant or has thorns big enough to rip flesh out of your body.

Best to be a little warmer, drink more water and move just a little more slowly.

Those bite's look like they'll be uncomfortable for a while.

I agree with the Patriot too. I had a lapse in judgement. Like I said. Those are not my bites. Mine where gone soon after I bathed and scrubbed with soap. I f you do not do that the bites can last up to 3 days.

grassman177
07-31-2011, 01:56 PM
chiggers do not burrow in your skin, but they are mite larvae and piss me off.

got covered on my legs by picking three tomatoes in my garden a few days ago. holy crap, an bena dryl was my friend along with clear nail polish over the bites to keep air outa there which makes it itch. trust me, look it up.

Snyder's Lawn Inc
07-31-2011, 02:30 PM
I treat chigger bites with finger nail polish paint the top of the bite and will stop itching go away in day or two
The brown recluse is something I dont want again last time took me atleast month to recovery from It took a shot every 2 days for 2 weeks It was like 6'' from my man hood

Ric
07-31-2011, 04:37 PM

I know someone is going to disagree but Brown Recluse spiders are not found in my area because we are too far South.

Patriot Services
07-31-2011, 04:58 PM

I know someone is going to disagree but Brown Recluse spiders are not found in my area because we are too far South.

Correct, they are rare outside the gulf swamp states. Several other species with necrotizing venoms around these parts though.
Posted via Mobile Device

DLCS
07-31-2011, 06:36 PM
They are occasionally found in basements here.