PDA

View Full Version : Boulder lighting help

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
07-31-2011, 10:10 AM
On my current project I was planning on using some Kichler LED 15733 spot lights to uplight some boulders. I'm new to the LED world and when I tested a light they are a lot more brighter than I want for this small area design. I also testd the newer under water light 15711 and they seem to be just a little to overpowering as well.

My original plan was (8) 15733 spots for 3 boulders and 3 pear trees with the last 2 spots for a waterfall, (2) 15711 for 2 more boulder. All the boulders are a 2x2x2 size average. (8) 6" wall cap lights all in a 40X30 backyard area. I'm afraid it's going to look like daylight with all these fixtures in a small area. What do you lighting pros think or suggest for the boulder lights? The look I was going for was just a small light to enhance the boulders from below and not to make them standout.

starry night
07-31-2011, 06:11 PM
What kind of area surrounds the boulders? (turf, mulch, gravel?)
And where is this area in relationship to the rest of the project?
It's hard to make suggestions without being able to see the area.
I would think the 15733 would be too much light for 2x2x2 boulders if at the same time, they could light a pear tree.

starry night
07-31-2011, 06:26 PM
Maybe path / spread fixtures with mini-LEDs by each boulder if the boulders are spaced far enough apart. Closer boulders = fewer fixtures.

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
07-31-2011, 06:31 PM
The surrounding area will be pavers and grass. The boulders are acting as pillars at the end of some seatwalls. 3 of the boulders I can set the light in turf that's why I went with 15733 and 2 of the boulders will be in the middle of a paver section at the ends of a circle seatwall. For thos 2 I was going to use the 15711 core drilled and recessed into the pavers. I need a 1 watt LED in the same style as the 15711.

This is all in a paver patio area that is approx 40Wx30L each 15733 spotlight will be about 7-11 feet away from each other and the two 15711 will only be about 5 feet apart.

LLC RI
08-01-2011, 11:30 AM
A few pictures or a sketch would help. My thoughts/ concern is that you might have too much a hot spot with the fixtures you want to use. I'm wondering if you can use a small wash light - regular say copper moon or lightcraft ET wash, with an illumincare 2.4 watt g 4 bi pin.. for a softer, more diffused light.

If you do end up using the kichler led floods/spots, use the lowest wattage.. and use that shroud on it to eliminate any side glare.

Lite4
08-01-2011, 06:48 PM
I like to downlight when I can. Sounds like you are working with smaller boulders though.

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
08-01-2011, 07:09 PM
Yeah the boulders are small, and there isn't a way to downlight at all. A one watt puck type light would be the ticket.

LLC RI
08-01-2011, 08:39 PM
there ya go.. so try a cast puck light mounted on top of a 4x4 pt post... that is just slightly above grade. see how it looks first. I use that technique sometimes when I am lighting a dry riverbed type of setting.

emby
08-01-2011, 10:48 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

emby
08-01-2011, 10:52 PM
http://www.vision3lighting.com/products/pathstep/12v-models/item/32-pa2-marker-light

I have seen these used with great results when illuminating boulders and stones.
Not too sure if you can use a stake mount fixture for your project?

Ken
Posted via Mobile Device

all ferris
08-11-2011, 11:09 PM
How close will the lights be to boulders. Also, IMHO the 15743 lights do a better job on trees.

TRowe
08-12-2011, 01:23 PM
Good morning. May I suggest trying out Kichler's new glass lenses for the project. The catalog number is 15895FRO as the FRO is for Frosted. We also make them in amber and green but I believe you will be satisfied with the frosted lens as it will soften the light without jeopardizing the beam spread.

The Lighting Geek
08-12-2011, 05:24 PM
You also might try the 15733 for a softer look.

bcg
08-12-2011, 07:21 PM
Tom, nice to see you here, I hope you'll check in and contribute regularly.

I was really happy to see the snap on cowls in the new catalog but then very disappointed when Rich told me they weren't really going to be available for a couple more months. When will we see the 2nd generation integrated LEDs? I understand they'll have the option of an integrated cowl, right?

TRowe
08-12-2011, 10:20 PM
Thank you I am going to check this valuable site as often as I can. We have added many new additions to our line....8 new LED pathlights, snap on cowls, lenses for our LED accents, new LED well lights as well as new finishes for our hardscape product.

All of these products are availabe to ship TODAY with the exception of the snap on cowls that will be available 09/01.

I am not sure what you are referring to as far as the GEN 2 product is concerned.

All the best!

LLC RI
08-12-2011, 10:21 PM
I sure hope they come up with an integrated cowl.... I think it's a huge PITA.... to have to use the tiny allen wrench, unscrew the retaining screw... and then attach the cowl/ shroud... good thing I've not yet lost a screw! ;-)

TRowe
08-12-2011, 10:25 PM
Where are you located at?
I realize that the screws are difficult in the field, however if you look at the product from the side angle the light output does not extrude from the fixture, thus not needing a cowl. Certainly the new snap on cowl will be easier...much easier...and much more cost effective.

bcg
08-13-2011, 12:01 AM
Thank you I am going to check this valuable site as often as I can. We have added many new additions to our line....8 new LED pathlights, snap on cowls, lenses for our LED accents, new LED well lights as well as new finishes for our hardscape product.

All of these products are availabe to ship TODAY with the exception of the snap on cowls that will be available 09/01.

I am not sure what you are referring to as far as the GEN 2 product is concerned.

All the best!

At one point Jack told me that the next version of the integrated LED would have the option of an integrated cowl and that the planned snap on cowl was only meant to be a stop gap measure. This was about a year ago so things may have changed since then.

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
08-15-2011, 08:05 PM
Thanks for the suggestions that I'll keep in mind for the next project. We decided to scratch the lights for the boulders since it is a small area. We were afraid it would be lit up to much for the small area. I just need more seat time with the LED's to be able to design better for small area's.