PDA

View Full Version : Best mower - 72"

hlgmoney
10-26-2002, 12:44 AM
Looking to buy a new z turn 72' or a out front 72". An y sugestions?

nlminc
10-26-2002, 01:55 AM
I've got 2 72" diesel Dixies Choppers that I've been very happy with. By mid November I will no longer be needing them due to an expiring contract. What are you looking at?
Chris

hagen
10-26-2002, 03:57 PM
I have a s burb n turb n DC i really like it. It has two 20 horse kohler motors on it if i was buying another 72 inch deck i would look at the 50 hosre yanmar diseal that DC make.

Mowingman
10-26-2002, 07:18 PM
Grasshopper 428D midmount. Mine has a 72" deck and a Kubota 28 HP diesel. It is a real workhorse.:D

rwleigh
10-26-2002, 07:25 PM
What is the application?

There are several good 72" machines out there from Dixie Chopper to Exmark to Bladerunner to Grasshopper and so on.

Are you just looking for flat out performance and blow and go, or are you looking for just a good quality cutting machine or both?

Also are you wanting gas or diesel ?

And a big question what price range?

Swampbeast
10-26-2002, 07:34 PM
Go get your self a SCAG Sabre Tooth Tiger 72 inch with 31 Horsepower diesel engine. Awesome, in my humble opinion there is nothing better.

:cool:

Green Pastures
10-26-2002, 08:34 PM
Get whatever you can get serviced in your area.

Boy I get tired of the "my brand mower is better than your brand mower". All commercial mowers are 6 of 1, half dozen of the other. There really aren't any really bad ones made, and they all come with a decent warranty.

Find a local dealer, find another one and yet another if you can, mow some grass with every one you can. Then pick which one you like the best.

Scott

Flex-Deck
10-26-2002, 09:09 PM
greenpastures - I agree 100% - dealer support-dealer support-dealer support - is the most important. There are a lot of good machines out there

PS - If you want wide mowing capabilities, look at the new 30 HP 80" deck on the Dixie Chopper - Take a peek at their new brochures or www.dixiechopper.com

bob
10-26-2002, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by Flex-Deck

PS - If you want wide mowing capabilities, look at the new 30 HP 80" deck on the Dixie Chopper www.dixiechopper.com

I didn't see their 80" deck, unless you mean adding a Flex-deck to a 60"er.

Randy Scott
10-27-2002, 01:54 AM
What moron at Dixie Chopper allowed their website to use black typeset over gray background? Oh well, guess I don't look at what they have to offer.:rolleyes:

HOMER
10-27-2002, 11:17 AM
I've been running a City Slicker Chopper for 3 years now. It's gone through quite a bit with me. Demo all you can find then make your decision.

DLCS
10-27-2002, 11:59 AM
John Deere just came out with a 72" ztr. It has the 29hp liquid cooled kawasaki. I think they retail around $12,000. Might be something to check out.:)

Mike
DLCS

lee b
10-27-2002, 03:05 PM
Mike a Deere dealer just quoted me a price on the 797 72" with the 29hp. DFI engine -$10,200.00

hlgmoney
10-27-2002, 05:31 PM
Thanks for all the replys. I looked on JD's website but they're not showing the Model 797. Any info available anywhere else on the web that you guys may know of. Thanks

lee b
10-27-2002, 05:57 PM
Nah, Deere doesn't have the new 777 and 797 on the site yet, but they do have the specs on the build and price part of the site. The 777 has a 27 lc kawasaki, 60" or 72" deck, the 797 has the 29 lc DFI kawi, 60" or 72" deck.I saw a 797 at an ag expo, really nice mower. Deere also is running some specials on financing now thru March.

allenandinga
10-27-2002, 06:18 PM
Earlier posts refer to looking at John Deere as an option. As a mechanic working on most brands in my shop, all I can say about Deere is this. If everyone knew the extent that Deere goes to to make it where you have to come back to them and pay a high price for almost every part on the entire machine, including the engine parts. noone would buy there products. Unless things have changed since the last time I checked, Deere doesn't even make there own midmount z-mowers, just the deck. The machine is made by Yazoo-Kees, the same mowers that Husky sells which is a 100% Yazoo-Kees mower.

IBGreen
10-27-2002, 06:56 PM
Buy an exmark. I got to demo one. If I had the cash I would buy one. It was the 31hp. gas model. You couldn't even hear it run.

Brandon Shaw
Evergreen Landscaping Concepts

NJDeere
10-27-2002, 07:00 PM
I would like to set the record straight. Deere is building the 737,757,777,and 797 at the John Deere TurfCare Factory. 100% Deere. Also, the 717,727, and 600 series Quick Traks are being moved from Great Dane to Turf Care. (By the way, all GD units will be built at the Deere Factory) The 737 to 797 are not copy cats of Great Dane and are a Deere only product. As a Deere dealer who repairs other products too, I find Deere to be quite competitive on their Parts prices. I certainly can't think of a commercial mower belt in the Deere line that costs $100, as I have heard some other members on ths board mention about Exmark. Deere may be slower to market, but they really try to give the customer a great machine.

Bill Davis
10-27-2002, 10:24 PM
i could tell by the look on your face that you liked that big 72" brandon. I told you not to get on it b/c you would love it.

DLCS
10-28-2002, 01:48 AM
Allenandinga,

Yes, things must have changed since the last time you checked because my 757 was made in North Carolina at Turfcare. :rolleyes: Just curious are you a John Deere dealer? What brands of mowers do you sell?

Lee,

I was looking at the build page of their website. I think it says $12,499.00 for the 797 w/72" deck but, I'm sure my dealer could do better than that price too. I'm not so sure he could sell it to me for what you was quoted though. Maybe I should see your John Deere dealer.

gorrell
10-28-2002, 01:09 PM
It's been my opinion for sometime that manufacturers that make only mowers, i.e. Dixie Chopper, Exmark, Gravely, Ferris, Bobcat, Bunton, etc. do a much better overall job of designing and building these machines that do a large company such as John Deere, Kubota, Massey Ferguson, New Holland, etc. It seems like the "little guys" know a little more about how to dot the "i's" and cross the "t's" that "Mr. Big" does. MHO, Lynn

Swampbeast
10-28-2002, 01:15 PM
I agree. I just wouldnt buy from the big companies.
You forgot to put SCAG and Exmark in that list of the good ones.........:cool:

LawnSmith
10-28-2002, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by Swampbeast
Go get your self a SCAG Sabre Tooth Tiger 72 inch with 31 Horsepower diesel engine. Awesome, in my humble opinion there is nothing better.

couldnt have said it better myself. the 31hp Turbo Diesel is a hoss.

the regular TT is quite a bit cheaper but only comes with the 27hp LC kawi on the 72". but, next year you will be able to get the 29hp fuel injected LC kawi which would be plenty of power for a 72" deck.

BTW, dont the john deere mowers have a stamped deck? the john deere standers do at least.

John Gamba
10-28-2002, 08:29 PM
28hpfi kOHLER 72" Ultracut deck. around 9500.
John

allenandinga
10-29-2002, 12:33 AM
What is Turfcare. Never heard of this. I sell Toro, Walker and Snapper.

DLCS
10-29-2002, 06:30 AM
Originally posted by allenandinga
What is Turfcare. Never heard of this.

John Deere Turfcare is their plant in Fuquay-Varina, North Carolina that produces commercial mowers and golf course equipment.

Mike
DLCS

Swampbeast
10-29-2002, 09:41 AM
Lemme just say this about John Deere, once upon a time I pulled up to a park I had to cut. I was supposed to mow half of it, and another LCO was mowing the other half. (just to big for one to do effeciantly.) I had my SCAG Turf Tiger 61 inch, he had a comparable JD ZTR with a 60 inch deck. The grass was the same height on both of our sides, and we had our decks on the same height, 3 inches. The grass was maybe 8 inches tall. My SCAG chugged through it all without ever bogging down once or even slowing. The JD bogged down so badly it stalled 6 times that I saw, and (I talked to the guy afterward) he said it stalled a total of 13 times that day. After talking to him a while, he decided to sell his JD, which he did, and know he has a Turf Tiger just like mine.
So, I dont like JD commercial lawn equipment. I love thier tractors, but not thier mowers.

digger1
10-29-2002, 10:25 PM
Dealer support and parts are your primary concern. Downtime waiting for parts or the dealer to fix your mower can cost you in the long run. Have 3 GHoppers with 72" decks and no complaints. Also, do not buy a "new" model (i.e. one that just came into the market) since the manufacturer uses first year models as guinea pigs to find bugs and improvements.
Best advice is to talk to as many users of different brands as possible and get real opinions from people in the field who use those machines. Do not rely on a salesperson because he will only tell you what you want to hear and how great of product he has regardless of the quality.
"The sweetness of low price is soon forgotten but the bitterness of poor quality lasts a lifetime".

MONTE
10-31-2002, 06:52 PM
I test drove one bad mean killer 72" diesel today and it was a 42hp turbo charged bladerunner WOW!! what a horse! It is the hottest production mower I have ever drove! I personnaly do not think you need that much power but if you do OH MY!

Green Pastures
10-31-2002, 07:38 PM
Good Lord, you could cut down saplings with 42 turbocharged horses!

Scott

Swampbeast
10-31-2002, 08:17 PM
Ha ha! 42 Turbo charged diesel ponies?! Thats awesome! I want one of them! How good is American Blade Runner? I havent heard any bad about them yet, how good are they?

FrankenScagMachines
10-31-2002, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by Green Pastures
Good Lord, you could cut down saplings with 42 turbocharged horses!

Scott

Yea, fit it with swinging blades like on a "bush-hog" for tractors, and you have a high speed ZTR brush cutter! SWEEEEETTT!!!!

Also, whats the big deal about a 42hp machine when Dixie has the 50hp and twin engine monsters? Or better yet, Hustler has an outfront mower with more than 50hp deisel (can't remember exactly how much, I was thinking upper 50's).
Hell, alot of mowers come with about twice as much power as is actually put to the ground for normal mowing. 20hp/48" combo is unstopable in any conditions pretty much, as is 15hp/42" or 6hp/21" etc. In actual normal mowing usage, 15hp single cylinder is plenty for 48" and 12hp works great on 42" too. 20hp will run 60" no problem (although 25 is better :D )

We just have the Tim Allen syndrome :D :cool: which comes in handy at times such as big cleanups and sometimes just normal use and abuse :cool: :p :)

Have a good day and Happy Holloween,
Eric

FrankenScagMachines
10-31-2002, 09:46 PM
Oh, try this on for size! Alot of power here. He started with a twin cylinder Kohler, I think about 20hp or so and it cranks out at least 65hp! It's for competition pulling of course... Although it has alot of power, at the RPM's and load he runs it it won't last all that long because it has unlimited RPM's (excess of 7k!) and so many modifications, it's practically like a human living off of drugs. Great power but can kill you if used too much. I guess theoretically he could run a 96" mower or more with this easily huh...it will run a good 11mph or so too maybe more, has a Dodge Dart rear end in it too. We are only missing the zero turn ability :(
It's a friend's toy. I have one too but mine is in the Stock 12hp class (12hp factory rated, few mod's allowed so we can usually get them upto 14hp, fun too and alot cheaper).

Ooops just realized this is off topic.. well we WERE talking horsepower!

sdwally
11-01-2002, 10:28 AM
I would highly suggest demoing a Scag Saber Tooth Tiger with the 31hp turbo diesel. The new model has many improvements over last years model.
Factory just had our dealer fabricate another new mulching plate(that we helped with) to be sent back to the factory(next day air) for evaluation. Improved mulching plates should be out soon.

Farmboy
11-01-2002, 11:29 AM
I have looked at that 50hp dixie but and I have read about other people on here say it is a true 41hp engine. I do know that on the valve cover of that engine it says 41.4hp.

gorrell
11-01-2002, 11:43 AM
Clay, do you have any problems with keeping the radiator screens clean on the sabre tooth tigers? I had a scag magnum 3 a couple of years ago and we were constantly stopping to clean the fuzz off the radiator screen to keep the unit from over heating. I wondered if scag had addressed that problem. thanks, Lynn

TLS
11-01-2002, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by LawnSmith
couldnt have said it better myself. the 31hp Turbo Diesel is a hoss.

I've asked this before and got a so-so answer.... Just what is a "hoss". Its not in the dictionary (I checked) and the only place I've seen it used other than here is for the name of a steakhouse restaurant "Hoss's".

I guess it means "tough" or "bada s s ". I'm thinking its a popular southern slang word, as us Yank's up here never heard of it.

Anyway...Back on topic!!!

I personally feel that with 72" machines you need 40+ ft/lbs. of torque to power the mower. More ideally to perform in tough conditions, 45+ ft/lbs. are essential. With those torque figures usually comes 26-30+ hp. Now the problem arises in that a single belt driven PTO to the deck starts to slip or heat up. This is where Exmark introduced the XP lineup with dual PTO belts, and SCAG utilizes the drive shaft. As much as I HATE shaft driven implements (Due to accelerated slip, and U-Joint wear), I feel that SCAG has the right idea here. I never looked at the drive system of DC's Big Diesel, so I don't know how they do it with a single belt.

As for the SCAG that powered through the thick park while the Deere STALLED 13 times (I have never STALLED any of my modern mowers in deep grass) I seem to think that the Deere was improperly maintained or was mechanically deprived.

As for the JD Stamped 7 Iron decks. They are a good deck, plenty strong. The decks on my Big JD Front Runners were only stamped 10 gauge. NEVER had a problem with those, and yes I hit a LOT of things that I shouldn't have!

I really miss my JD dealer. ALWAYS had the parts I needed IN STOCK. Always bent over backwards to get me going, and always treated me fair, and gave good trade in on used equipment. IMHO, this new JD 797 series is their first real competitive commercial mower since they ruled the roost with the Front Runners! Put Diesel power on them and OCDC's on ALL the 7 Iron Decks, and I'd go back in a heartbeat!!!

Guido
11-01-2002, 06:17 PM
the tractor with the Dodge rear end in it.......:rolleyes:

John DiMartino
11-01-2002, 06:43 PM
A friend just bought one of the new Dixie XT3000's,its a a 72" mower.It flat out rocks, the Generac 30 has 56 ft lbs of torque,it has more than enough power for the 72" deck.

Swampbeast
11-01-2002, 07:24 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by TLS
[B]I've asked this before and got a so-so answer.... Just what is a "hoss". Its not in the dictionary (I checked) and the only place I've seen it used other than here is for the name of a steakhouse restaurant "Hoss's".

It usually means "really darn tough" "awesome" "powerful/strong" It can mean lots of things!

As for the SCAG that powered through the thick park while the Deere STALLED 13 times (I have never STALLED any of my modern mowers in deep grass) I seem to think that the Deere was improperly maintained or was mechanically deprived.

Personally, I think the guy sucked with a ZTR. One other thing, we were both mulching. Thats why he was bogging so badly. I dont like JD.

lee b
11-01-2002, 08:07 PM
I run a M665 with a 60" 7-iron deck. I'll put it up against any other mower of the same horsepower and deck size in tall, thick, wet grass. Side-discharging, the 7-iron deck will handle incredible amounts of clippings. It won't chop them as fine as some other mowers, but I have never stalled it down in thick grass. And TLS is right about dealer service, I've never found any kind of dealer who will beat the service that Deere provides their customers, from parts to trade-in value. I'm thinking about trading the M665 in on a new 797 in the spring, just can't make-up my mind if I can use a 72" deck everywhere, or stay with a 60". 29hp. on a 60" deck oughta be awesome.

LawnSmith
11-01-2002, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by TLS
I've asked this before and got a so-so answer.... Just what is a "hoss". Its not in the dictionary (I checked) and the only place I've seen it used other than here is for the name of a steakhouse restaurant "Hoss's".

I guess it means "tough" or "bada s s ". I'm thinking its a popular southern slang word, as us Yank's up here never heard of it.

i would say you know what it means although its not a defined term in Websters.

the sabre tooth is basically a small tank w/out the firearms.

turbo diesel power, practically unbreakable, expensive, will go through just about anything within reason, and expensive.

TLS
11-01-2002, 10:15 PM
Swampbeast,

I know you dont LIKE Deere's, but why would you BOTH be mulching 8" long grass in a LARGE park? Does the 7 Iron even offer a mulch kit?

This (Real long thick grass) is where the 7 Iron Decked Deere would shine, and the Baffled SCAG deck would suffer.

Something tells me he may have only had a 22hp Kohler with a clogged airfilter, bad spark plugs, bad gas, and REALLY, REALLY dull blades. That would be about the only way you should/could stall a 60" ZTR in long grass. Heck I put mine through waist high grass every 6 weeks. I take it slow, but it never boggs, and certainly never stalls.

So, I have a really "HOSS-ing" mower then?

:p

Swampbeast
11-01-2002, 11:35 PM
Yes, he did have a mulching plate on there, whether or not it was from John Deere I dont know. Why would we both be mulching? Cause thats what the city wanted us to do. It was large, but not to large, only about 80 acres. thats 40 acres apiece, then you got to subtract things like trees, gardens, benches, path ways, ponds, park stuff! I can mow my half in about 4-6 hours. Him, well, he was still going when I finished!
I dont know the engine he had, but I do know that thing was underpowered. I do know also that it wasnt in the greatest shape.
SCAG Turf Tiger suffer in tall grass?! Ha! Never! Not my Turf Tank! (thats what I call it) I can chug through anything that fits under the deck! (excepting rocks....:D )

DLCS
11-02-2002, 12:54 AM
John Deere does make a mulch kit for the 7 Iron deck, I have one on my 757. I think your friend's JD ztr had some problems. I have a 1/2 acre open lot that I mow once a month for a friend. Usually the grass is at least 16" tall in the spring, when I mow it. Well, I have mowed it with the mulch kit on, no problems whats so ever. The cut wasn't the greatest but it didn't pull the engine down at all.
Swampbeast, you now say his JD ztr wasn't in the greatest shape. So, maybe that was the problem then, not properly maintained? I just don't understand why you are bashing John Deere?? I could sit here and bash other brands of mowers all day long based on what others say about them or what I've seen others do with them. But, if I have no personal experience with a product, I will not bash it.
We have only one LCO here that uses Dixie Choppers. I know the are a great mower. But, this LCO must not know what he is doing, since his lawns all ways looks like crap. I'm just pointing out that the operating has alot to do with how well a machine cuts and operates. Just my .02
Mike
DLCS

LawnSmith
11-02-2002, 02:31 AM
40 acres apiece..... I can mow my half in about 4-6 hours

40 acres in 4-6 hours? with one ZTR? negative.

we have a 7 acre prop that has TWO 61" tigers going and it takes right at 2 hours to cut.

40 acres with a sabre tooth in 4-6 hours doesnt add up....unless its going 25 mph, lol.

HOMER
11-02-2002, 08:18 AM
I think a decimal point was left out.

4.0 makes more sense than 40.

Now then.............my 72" Chopper could cut..........................

Nevermind.:dizzy:

Richard Martin
11-02-2002, 08:48 AM
TLS wrote:

I've asked this before and got a so-so answer.... Just what is a "hoss". Its not in the dictionary (I checked)

Sure it is! The correct spelling is HORSE. Slang man, slang.

Swampbeast
11-02-2002, 10:26 PM
Lawnsmith, re-read my post. You will notice that I put in there, "then you have to subtract things like trees, gardens...etc" See, the total area is 40 acres, the total area thats grass that needs to be mowed is probably closer to 20. (using the finest scientific method for this measurement, guesstamation :D )
This is to DLCS, I DONT LIKE JOHN DEERES! Now, lets just leave it at that, I have had bad experiences with them, and I dont like them, and I have heard bad stuff about them. I have heard good about them to, but I JUST DONT LIKE THEM! :p Well lots of mowers arent in the greatest shape. This one just sucked! It was a combination of driver error, machine not good, underpowered, and not taken care of to well. Still taken care of, but not pampered like my mowers.
Why is this so hard to understand? I just dont like the dadblasted machines!

Sorry for the outburst. Not in a very good mood today. (only got two ducks on opening day today!)

LawnSmith
11-03-2002, 01:50 AM
Lawnsmith, re-read my post. You will notice that I put in there, "then you have to subtract things like trees, gardens...etc" See, the total area is 40 acres, the total area thats grass that needs to be mowed is probably closer to 20. (using the finest scientific method for this measurement, guesstamation :D )
This is to DLCS, I DONT LIKE JOHN DEERES! Now, lets just leave it at that, I have had bad experiences with them, and I dont like them, and I have heard bad stuff about them. I have heard good about them to, but I JUST DONT LIKE THEM! :p Well lots of mowers arent in the greatest shape. This one just sucked! It was a combination of driver error, machine not good, underpowered, and not taken care of to well. Still taken care of, but not pampered like my mowers.
Why is this so hard to understand? I just dont like the dadblasted machines!

Sorry for the outburst. Not in a very good mood today. (only got two ducks on opening day today!)

i see, or i dont see why you would talk about it being 80 acres and it only boiling down to roughly 10 acres of turf.

sounds like that tiger is a "hoss".

dr grass
11-03-2002, 10:06 AM
eXmark eXmark eXmark eXmark eXmark eXmark eXmark eXmark eXmark exmark......etc...... some people are just one sided ... oh yeah GRASSHOPPERS WACK!!!!

Shep :cool:

WREBELMACHINE
11-03-2002, 06:29 PM
Swampbeast

I have two diesel bladerunners and I really like them alot! No problems except for flat tires. I have a 32hp four cylinder that I bought last year and I bought a 27hp three cylinder this year for my son. Great machines!

I do agree with some of the replies you need that local dealer support, which I have! But I do know this could be a problem in several parts of the country for bladerunner because of no dealers in those area's. Of course it is a the same here for some manufactures mentioned on here that are not in my area either.

Green Pastures
11-03-2002, 09:46 PM
I'm looking to buy another ZTR this fall. One of the foreman of one of the biggest LCO's in the area keeps harping on liquid cooled ZTR's being the way to go. I'm in south eastern Virginia. It get's in the high 90's with high humidity, but nothing like Texas or New Mexico!!!

What do you guy's think about LC mowers. Is it just one more thing to maintain. I've never had a heat related problem with any of my fleet so far. Let's hear it.............

landscaper3
11-03-2002, 09:51 PM
One major thing to look at is sevice! If you need service will that dealer give you a loner if it breaks down? Reputation of the dealer your buying from?
Scag, Toro, Walker, Ferris and others are ALL good choices but what really makes the sale is the service you get with that mower!
If our Walkers break down we take it to the Toro dealer we DIDNT even buy it from and cause we bought our Z's and walkbehinds there they give us a loner NO QUESTIONS ASKED! now thats a sale to me!

MowingisMaddness
11-03-2002, 10:56 PM
Hustler Super Z