PDA

View Full Version : Best Walk Behind Mower

MJ Scaper
07-31-2011, 09:33 AM
Hi,

Im starting up a new lawn and landscaping business this coming spring and would like some advice about walk behind mowers. Im looking to buy a 36" gear or possibly hydro walkbehind with platform attachment capabilities on the back.

In your opinion, What is the best walk behind mower for the price? Ive been looking at toro and lesco products thus far.

Thanks in advance for your input.

monoshock
07-31-2011, 09:40 AM
Scag hydro.

ArenaLandscaping
07-31-2011, 09:46 AM
Lesco in my opinion is the best. I have been using them the last 15 years with no problems. They are reliable. I have 3, the oldest one that I have is a mid 1980s Lesco 48" belt driven with a Kawasaki 14 hp. Never been rebuilt, still runs to this day. Its retired now, its only used to cut my own lawn.

charmill26
07-31-2011, 09:42 PM
scag hydro. you get what you pay for

monoshock
07-31-2011, 09:49 PM
What ever mower you get don't get a belt drive.
Most defiantly go with a hydro drive.

MowingMowingMowing
07-31-2011, 10:13 PM
Exmark Turf Tracers, best walk behind on the market, hands down.

ATLandcare
07-31-2011, 11:03 PM
The scag is a fantastic machine, but when it comes to availability, a common floating deck, and price the exmark turf tracer is one of the greatest. I'm not saying it cuts better than a scag or runs better, but for a beginner I believe it is the best!

Exmark Turf Tracer Hydro Walk Behind!!!!!!

P.s. I'm in no way brand loyal, I have operated both and love them both!

knox gsl
07-31-2011, 11:09 PM
The scag is a fantastic machine, but when it comes to availability, a common floating deck, and price the exmark turf tracer is one of the greatest. I'm not saying it cuts better than a scag or runs better, but for a beginner I believe it is the best!

Exmark Turf Tracer Hydro Walk Behind!!!!!!

P.s. I'm in no way brand loyal, I have operated both and love them both!

I agree although I have a 52" turf tracer I would suggest getting the Exmark 48" turf tracer hp, its the most used walk behind out there for a reason. They are very dependable, versatile, and leave a good cut.

Exmarkboy13
08-02-2011, 03:33 PM
Exmark Vikings pretty good.

copper13
08-06-2011, 09:45 AM
Lesco's WL93B or WL95B will serve you well. I have a 95 and it rocks.

However, Better Outdoor Products' Quick 44 Dually will be my next new purchase. Quality components and built/assembled in North Carolina? They'll get my money. http://www.betteroutdoorproducts.com/

Tofutti
08-07-2011, 04:00 AM
I also am a fan of the eXmark Turf Tracers. You'll find: The 48 will get in and out of a lot of places, be light enough to be able to throw the front end over rocks/stumps/curbs/roots etc, also be light enough to spin it around quickly without damaging the grass. They do cut well, esp wet/heavy grass and leave less clumps. Also, while they may be pricey, they last for years.
If you're looking to further increase productivity, toss a Proslide (http://www.novaestore.com/Category/3-proslide-xt.aspx) or even the cheaper Goslide (http://www.novaestore.com/Category/4-goslide.aspx) on to it. (the Proslide is much more worth it.. folds up under the machine a soon as you step off but leaves a bit of it out there to step on and it pulls back out automatically...)

gasracer
08-07-2011, 07:55 PM
I have a Ferris and a new model Gravely and both cut good. I would see what your your local dealer carries and talk to them. There are a lot of good brands out there.

XLS
08-07-2011, 09:08 PM
for the size you require in the OP i would before anything was bought call havner interprises about a 36" bradley i dont think any big brand will come close in price for a startup opperation . replacement parts are the same as a 96 scag the deck design is a copy of the XM series bobcat Ransome walks but they are hydro drives.you get a non pinching ride on plateform so in fact there is nothing extra to buy and the wirring isabout 3 wire to watch over so electical issues should be very minimal i would guess the price less then $2500.00 for any cut up to 48"

my 52"s would run your cost at the $2500.00 mark so a 36" would be slightly less no doubt
Posted via Mobile Device

Chevy z71
08-07-2011, 09:16 PM
Scag hydro and like charm said you do get what you pay for.

LandFakers
08-08-2011, 08:54 AM
eXmark Metro's are great starting mowers. 36 or a 48 would work well on any yard that isnt to large.

frotis
08-08-2011, 01:46 PM
I like ECS controls on the eXmarks.

LandFakers
08-08-2011, 06:14 PM
I like ECS controls on the eXmarks.

Thumbs Up +1

DIXIECONTRACTING
08-15-2011, 02:22 PM
Exmark Hydro and the sulky folds under the handlebars and latches no need for unprofessional looking bungies or rope to hold sulky up.