PDA

View Full Version : dallas grass iwarm season grass HELP

XLS
07-31-2011, 10:43 AM
i have 10`x10` patchesin my personal lawn and need help.
it is covering about 15k sqft and the stems suck and all the saeeda will only make it worse come spring.....any tips on treating the lawnwith outtearing out or gly products is appreciated thanks in advance
Posted via Mobile Device

WestGaPineStraw
07-31-2011, 12:17 PM
If its bermuda, just wick the dallas grass with gly. Mowing 3-4 times a week will encourage the bermuda to grow horizontal.
Posted via Mobile Device

XLS
07-31-2011, 12:21 PM
thanks for that help.
wicking did not cross my mind.
Posted via Mobile Device

RAlmaroad
07-31-2011, 12:24 PM
I'm up in Kingsport, TN. What is your type of grass? Can't help without knowing this. Roy

XLS
07-31-2011, 01:54 PM
sorry i thought i had said it is bermuda only. once i wick it now......what can i useto prevent seed germination in the spring..... i dont know if the pre-emerg at co-op will treat . first i need to know its name its applied at about1.5 lbs a1000(i have never used it so i would check the label call it generic prem. will this possibly work ??
Posted via Mobile Device

WestGaPineStraw
07-31-2011, 01:55 PM
Thick stand of turf will keep it from coming back
Posted via Mobile Device

XLS
07-31-2011, 02:17 PM
i doubt it seriously considering this turf is great and about 4"thick
it is irrigated fert and sprayed..this started showing up last year and after the last fert last week it is growing a foot tall stem i 4 days........ I agree with you on that ishow its supposed to work but the turf is great.....neigborhood envy..wife is getting tired of mowing every 2 days to beat the seeds
Posted via Mobile Device

bamaturf
07-31-2011, 11:20 PM
cut the grass and bag it, spray msma almost to runoff. too much and it looks
like you used a flame thrower, too little spray and it won't kill. this are might need core areated cause dalis grass likes hard ground.

XLS
08-01-2011, 01:54 AM
will check on msma. it gets bagged, the mower that cuts it gets blowed off to prevent weed transfer it gets monthly fert and aerated 2 times a season. and gets sliced monthly durring the growing season
Posted via Mobile Device

RAlmaroad
08-01-2011, 08:33 AM
OK, how much Dallisgrass do you have? If possible, attach a photo of a section. Vantage, Proast, and Sethoxydim will knock the Dallisgrass out with two applications. IT WILL ALSO KILL THE BERMUDA. But you can apply it with a long nosed applicator to the center of each clump of Dallisgrass. Beats wicking the leaves. I have a quart oil compressor bottle that I use close to flower beds or borders when treating centipede. Mix it at 2oz./gallon with 1/2 once of MSO and be careful not to dribble. The stems will turn a purple in about two weeks and when this appears, hit it again. Vantage is available at a lot of Co-ops. Spring is the best time when it is very young. Keep it mowed to prevent seeds from forming but it is a perennial.

XLS
08-01-2011, 09:51 AM
i only have1 goodstand of weeds lol it is honestly 6`wide by 20` right where the sidewalk meets the grass..the bermuma almost died thereafter the irrigation wasnt watering it after the install... the dallas grass startedin the cracksand the squirt guys treated for crab grass. now i am learning the ropes forspraying and know it is dallas grass. i 2-4-d about2 weeks ago.so i know its not crab grass then i asked the agriculture extention office and they said dalas grass

so with it killing the bermuda too......should i cut a ring around the clumps with a stick edger to limit bermuda die off ???

for wicking the clumps do you guys have any cheap ideas or small applicators..... paint roller and 100% solution...no water....ideas
Posted via Mobile Device

RAlmaroad
08-01-2011, 10:12 AM
i only have1 goodstand of weeds lol it is honestly 6`wide by 20` right where the sidewalk meets the grass..the bermuma almost died thereafter the irrigation wasnt watering it after the install... the dallas grass startedin the cracksand the squirt guys treated for crab grass. now i am learning the ropes forspraying and know it is dallas grass. i 2-4-d about2 weeks ago.so i know its not crab grass then i asked the agriculture extention office and they said dalas grass

so with it killing the bermuda too......should i cut a ring around the clumps with a stick edger to limit bermuda die off ???

for wicking the clumps do you guys have any cheap ideas or small applicators..... paint roller and 100% solution...no water....ideas
Posted via Mobile Device

Think about just round up that little bit and resod this fall. Or if you do want to wick it: put on two rubber gloves on the work hand; then a cotton glove over those. Dip fingertips into a coffee can with your MSMA and surfactant (A little liquid fertilize in this mix will cause uptake a little quicker) and just rub the dallas grass. Don't mow it so that it gets a little over your Bermuda, Do it late in the day so that it does not evaporate so quickly. Hold off on your water for a couple of days so that it does not get on your living Bermuda. Just a couple of tips. Keep us posted. Do yourself a favor and make some before and after shots.

XLS
08-01-2011, 10:33 AM
RAImaroad thanks for the specifics on the gloves..

so i know killer works off leaf absorbtion and dallas grass is a clumpy wide leaf mess that grows to 3" a day with the stalk ......but the stalk will not kill it.

so do i simply wait a week when the blades are 6"ugly or would you treat 3 days after mowing ?.

if iyou wicked with a gly product
today......when would you mow it at the soonest? friday?
once it is yellowing i will fert verti cut and start mowing to make the bermuda grow in

Thanks for the tips
pics will follow
Posted via Mobile Device