PDA

View Full Version : Dixon Commercial mowers

Envy Lawn Service
10-26-2002, 02:17 AM
I paid a visit to the nearest Dixie Chopper dealer today. They are still real new to DC and didn't have any units in stock yet. While I was there the guy showed me Dixon's commercial line.

I've neve seen these before. One of the models looks like the Country Clipper I saw online. But it has twin levers instead of a joystick drive.

I'm just wondering if anyone has experience or knows anything about these.

Runner
10-26-2002, 02:30 AM
There's no such thing. That's like saying "Heavy duty Yugo".

LAWNGODFATHER
10-26-2002, 03:01 AM
Originally posted by Runner
There's no such thing. That's like saying "Heavy duty Yugo". Man I and I thought the funniest thing on LS today was the moron peeping tom that ran into a tree, then his alarm clock went off and woke him up.

No matter what anyone says about these mowers, they are not all that bad.

Their commerial line have been redesigned from the previous styles, they have similar drive systems to Toro, Exmark, DC, etc...

They have been around for a loooong time.

Actually DC copied alot from them when they first came out.

BUT THEY ARE NO EXMARK!!!!!! nor a DC!!!

Envy Lawn Service
10-26-2002, 03:24 AM
I was just sorta curious about them. That flip up deck deal seems like a sharp idea for service.

But if that was so important I guess I couild get me a GrossHopper :laugh: front mower. I seen on o'them puppies on closeout today for $6,500 w/61". Had the paddle tires too. Whew weeeeee, not to bad of a deal.

I just think they need to change them thar kulars to green and red like their little SuperHopper logo. Sh*t brown and toliet tan just don't get it for me. But hey them Choppers ain't easy on the eyes either. But that stainless shure is purrdy!!! Them tars is kewl too!!!

Richard Martin
10-26-2002, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by Envy Lawn Service
But hey them Choppers ain't easy on the eyes either. But that stainless shure is purrdy!!! Them tars is kewl too!!!

If you like the factory stainless on Choppers you should see mine. We had a cookout and competition for lawn guys earlier this year and my Dixie won the appearence competition. And there were brand new Dixies there too. Last winter I took all of the stainless off and buffed the crap out of it and it looks great. I have since then added 4 more pieces of stainless to it. This winter it gets a stainless front bumper and stainless Turbinator. I am also thinking about adding the stainless front section from an XT3000 depending on cost and adaptability. The it's time to hit the show circuit. :D

lawnagent
10-26-2002, 05:01 PM
I to, laugh sometimes at the amount of flack Dixons catch on this forum, even though some of the people here have been greatly helpful and I appreciate that. But some make mountains out of mole hills. Ive been using Dixons since 1992 and have had AWESOME luck out of them. They are durable and fast. I had a city job on a mowing crew one year and they had all kinds. Dixons, Grasshoppers, Woods,Scags. The Dixons were just as good as any of them. I had a Dixie Chopper guy try real hard to push one of on me one time. He went on and on and on about how much better a mower they were than mine. I told him that from what I had heard from others, they may very well be. But for the astranomical price difference in the Dixie the same size as my Dixon, and my Dixon, I told him I better be able to sit on the porch and drink Lemonade while it mows for me! LOL

Envy Lawn Service
10-26-2002, 11:11 PM
After shopping Yazoo Kees, Husqvarna (same thing), Great Dane Charoit, Scag (very similar) Charoit JR, John Deere (same thing) Lesco Z2, Cub Tank (same thing), Simplicity, Ferris (very similar), Exmark, Toro (similar), Country Clipper, Dixon (one is the same thing), Bob-Cat, Grasshopper, and Gravely...

I think all of them are built pretty good. Most of them share similar wheel motors, hydro pumps, engines and so forth. I find most of the differences to be matters of choice/preference or different creature comforts. All these companies mostly just have a different way of achieveing the same thing.

Most of the ways you'll see differences in these machines is in fit and finish. How much work they put into making them handle and cut well.

Now we all know each machine has a different character. Some are going to cut, handle or just plain suit us better. I'm just thankful I started shopping early. I should have plenty of time to sort things out with all of your help here on Lawn Site.

lawnagent
10-27-2002, 11:25 AM
you are correct.:angel:

bluemoon
10-27-2002, 10:51 PM
I mow for a guy who mows 90 weekly yards with 3 Dixons. He runs the estate models with 50" decks and bags everything. He swears by them, and I have noticed in this particular town many of the LCO's are running them. They are fast compared to my Walker, their cut isn't as nice and overall they seem cheap. My personal opinion is they are popular in this town because they are cheap. Most of the guys are running 50" estate models with baggers and it is reported on can buy for around $7.200.00. Also most have 22 or 23 Kohler Command engines. I think it boils down to personal preference, because comparing mowers seems to be very subjective.

Administrator
10-27-2002, 11:00 PM
90 weekly lawns with 3 ztr's !?

I hope each of these lawns is 50,000 sqft +

I think you should be able to kick out at least 75 average "yards" at about 7,000 sqft each per DAY running a 3 ZTR crew.

Chuck

LAWNGODFATHER
10-27-2002, 11:04 PM
Chuck they "bag" them all.

Also I don't belive they use all 3 on every yard.

Kind of like I send a Wb out but it only gets used here n there.

Administrator
10-27-2002, 11:09 PM
Ha, you said "bag"

lawnagent
01-18-2003, 01:41 PM
UPDATE I had a wreck a few weeks back while pulling my Dixon. Dixon flew end over end, side over side about 50 yards. Looked as totalled as anything I ever saw. After a couple of frame brackets for the deck below were purchased and the top seat frame was fixed myself with a heat torch and a hammer, It works as good as ever. Im impressed.

1grnlwn
01-18-2003, 02:32 PM
And the rules say not to bash if you dont run one or have run one. Hmmmmm. Guess thats only for dixies. (thinnest skin) Well I have commercial Dixon( well thats what the label says) Its only 42 hydro 5 years old. Most of problems I have had is with engine 16 hp Kohler. Starter freezes up and charging system won't keep battery up. Have been through 3 center spindles and bearings (design problem) Its a small mower scarry on hills . But I kind of like it , its a good little mower and on a good day it might even stripe. There are actually several cutters that use them. Got a neet little snow plow for it to.

Mark

Envy Lawn Service
01-18-2003, 02:53 PM
Sounds like a pretty tough mower. But situations like yours are all the more reason to make sure your equipment is well secured on the trailer while towing. I bind my stuff down each time I load. It takes more time. But to me it's worth it to know I've reduced the chance of a 1,000 lbs of steel flying through the windshield of someones car if I have a wreck.

It could have came through the cab of your truck just as easily. Be safe!

lawnagent
01-18-2003, 06:42 PM
Envylawn, you are so right! That thing got some airtime as well. I remember seeing daylight between the mower and a small cedar tree in the yard, as I watched it in my rearview mirror. ( I actually need to clarify, as it was my trailer that wrecked. The tounge of the trailer collapsed as I was going down the road and the trrailer went off the road into a ditch and then flipped over long ways when the toung hit the ditch bank, essentially catapulting my equipment through the air. ) Talk about a helpless feeling. But at least the trailer went right instead of left into traffic. Anyway when I was in the yard assesing my damages I looked at the cedar and it was about 10 feet tall! So that dixon got some air time. Moral is you can NEVER EVER be too safe!:D

ScottG
01-18-2003, 10:53 PM
I have a Dixon 6022 that is now 4 years old and I still love it. It has only been in the shop 2 times. 1) to change the lifters (Kohler) and 2)a melted wire. This machine has been very dependable, produces an excellent cut and is comfortable too ( I spend my day riding on it). It is the third Dixon I have purchased and I recommend it.

Mowing Freak
01-19-2003, 01:10 PM
I'm glad a lot of people have had good luck with Dixons, there is a lot more who haven't. I mow in the town where Dixons are made. My opinion, they are overpriced junk. Most everybody has one in this town and their mowing quality sucks compared to my Walkers. Yes, they are good for a door stopper, or target practice or would be a good loaner mower for your neighbor so you can keep your good mower around for you. My understanding, the man who started Dixie Chopper used to work for Dixon. He did what Dixon should have done many moons ago. He basically took a dixon and beefed it up to be 10 times better than a dixon ever thought it could be. I know there are dixon fans out there, and thats fine. But untill they use a better mower, whether it be Walker, Grasshopper, Dixie, Z, or whatever, then for them, the dixon will always be a good mower to them. Just my opinion!

lawnagent
01-19-2003, 03:46 PM
I did work for a City Maintenance crew for a couple of years. The city owned Dixon, Woods, Grasshopper, and Scag. I can tell you for a fact that the Dixon held up every bit as well as the other brands. It did not have the "cadillac" type cushion of a ride like the hopper or the stump pulling power of a diesel engine like one of our two woods mowers had, but it mowed just as fast and broke down only 1 time in the 2 years I was there. And i can tell everyone for a fact that all those mower were put through all kinds of abuse.