PDA

View Full Version : White Eggs on Crepe Myrtle

BWS Landscaping
07-31-2011, 04:47 PM
There are white eggs on this crepe myrtle. Any idea what I can do/spray to get ride of them? The leaves are falling off.

VLTS
07-31-2011, 08:31 PM
Aphids, Check the underside of the leaves. You will see them. The blackness of the leaves is from the honeydew that is dropped from the aphid, a mold is formed on there droppings called sooty mold. The best way to control them is with merit ( or off brand merit) drench the root zone earlier in the season for best control.
Its going to be an uphill battle to control them this late in the season, you can try multiple apps of bifen, and or Mpede. The sooty mold will remain until leaf drop.

Think Green
07-31-2011, 08:46 PM
BWS,
I agree with sooty mold caused by the aphid insect, however--you can clean the leaves off this tree with a hose end sprayer and dawn dish liquid. Purchase a gilmore hose end sprayer..............apply about 2-3 ounces of dawn regular into the sprayer and set the dial on 5. Spray off the top and lower sides of the leaves to remove the mold. Allow the tree to dry, then with the same sprayer purchase some garden malathion or liquid seven and spray only this tree. Apply the pesticide according to the label from here. Be sure to spray around the base of the tree......the trunk, branches and the canopy. Repeat again according to the label usually within two weeks until no more signs of the aphid.
I treat needlepoint hollies with sooty mold and mildew the same way. A good cleaning off of the leaves will hasten leaf drop and kills some of the insects with the dawn soap. Then when you spray with a common OTC insecticide, you can control the rest. IF you choose to apply liquid seven, remember it is toxic to bees..........so if they are flying around your tree............do it in the evening as by then the bees should be back to the hives.

Think Green
07-31-2011, 09:00 PM
BWS,
From the looks of things in this pic........I surmise this is a shady side of the house because of the Manhatton Euonymus in the foreground. Poor air circulation and low light conditions will make for a good recipe for aphids and mold. When a tree like this.......often planted in the wrong space is attacked, all you can do is control irrigation hitting the foliage and keeping a good balanced fertilizer program. If my eyes aren't deceiving me the egg looking things are the remnants of molted aphids. Likely it is whiteflies because they along with aphids usually feed and congeal on the undersides of leaves and along new growth stems and stalks.

BWS Landscaping
07-31-2011, 09:07 PM
VLTS and Think Green - Thanks for the help!! I will try the methods mentioned and let you know!
-BWS

dwc
07-31-2011, 11:27 PM
My crapemyrtles did this same thing last year with aphids. Earlier this year I made a drench app of Merit to the root zone as well as did a systemic fungicide treatment and so far I have had no problems! Prevention is key.

Licensetokill
08-06-2011, 06:50 PM
BWS,
I agree with sooty mold caused by the aphid insect, however--you can clean the leaves off this tree with a hose end sprayer and dawn dish liquid. Purchase a gilmore hose end sprayer..............apply about 2-3 ounces of dawn regular into the sprayer and set the dial on 5. Spray off the top and lower sides of the leaves to remove the mold. Allow the tree to dry, then with the same sprayer purchase some garden malathion or liquid seven and spray only this tree. Apply the pesticide according to the label from here. Be sure to spray around the base of the tree......the trunk, branches and the canopy. Repeat again according to the label usually within two weeks until no more signs of the aphid.
I treat needlepoint hollies with sooty mold and mildew the same way. A good cleaning off of the leaves will hasten leaf drop and kills some of the insects with the dawn soap. Then when you spray with a common OTC insecticide, you can control the rest. IF you choose to apply liquid seven, remember it is toxic to bees..........so if they are flying around your tree............do it in the evening as by then the bees should be back to the hives.

Excellent advice. Yes...aphid molts and use of a horticultural soap will do the trick. Greener-options like this can be a good marketing scheme to attract that enviro-minded niche customer. Think outside the box; make some extra bucks and be master of your domain.