PDA

View Full Version : New tool for changing blades

Tony Harrell
10-26-2002, 06:40 AM
Lesco has a new tool for changing blades that's simply awesome. It's a sliding bar with a socket on each end that you set down on top of 2 spindles. The sockets are stationary so they hold everything from turning while you loosen the blade bolts from underneath. It's about $60.

Guido
10-27-2002, 05:41 AM
Its one of those things that are so simple and easy to make that you sit and wonder "Why hasn't anyone thought of that?"

Sounds like a good purchase for a solo operator. Maybe even make one yourself.

Does anyone have a picture?

Tony Harrell
10-27-2002, 07:06 AM
I thought about building my own but, the welding charge and parts charge would be the same if not more for a less than professional tool. I'll drop by Lesco and see if I can get a brochure or get Jay to post a picture of it, if he can. I suppose if someone can weld and has 2 sockets of the same size it could be made cheaper though.

rodfather
10-27-2002, 09:01 AM
I recently added a cordless 14.4v, 1/2" impact gun. No more worrying if a wratchet might slip and I need 20 stiches or so.

I love it...made by Makita.

yardboyltd
10-27-2002, 02:16 PM
yep with the ole impact wrench, no need for a tool to hold the blades. zap off, sharpen, zap on.. simple as that. Mines a old black and decker 120vac i picked up used at a pawn shop for $30. Works great.

Guido
10-27-2002, 02:49 PM
I don't get what you guys are saying.

I can picture this tool that looks like a "U" and locks up the spindles so that you can take the gun to the blades.

On my 48's, I used to have to hold a wrench on the bolt head (Blade side of deck) and use the gun to crank off the nut on top of the spindle (top of deck)

Why does using an impact gun make a difference?

Runner
10-27-2002, 10:27 PM
With an impact, there is no reason to hold the other blades, because it doesn't turn the whole assembly like ratchets and breaker bars. The impact raps it off without the blades even beginning to turn. Much like a tire. With a breaker bar, the whole tire is going to want to turn. When you put an impact on it, there is no OUTside turning force, just the centered force to loosen and tighten the nut or bolt.

LAWNGODFATHER
10-27-2002, 10:55 PM
What Runner posted plus..............

An impact wrench uses a series of thousands of small but powerfull impacts to break loose or turn a nut or bolt.

A nickname for this gun is the "Hammer Gun".

This is some what like the hammer feture on a cordless drill but "they" are nothing like an impact wrench.

These suckers can break wheel studs right off no problem.

They can apply 400 ft lbs of tourque to most anything.

The "tool" you are referring to will be mainly used for people using a socket wrench to remove blades.

Anyone still using this method should at least consider the 12v or 120v electric one and get out of the dark ages.

I use the "Air" operated impack gun. I recently just bought a nice Snap-On. $400 600ft-lbs of torque. I wonder what I can break off with this.

kppurn
10-27-2002, 11:32 PM
On my lazer I use a 15/16 wrench and a c-clamp tightened to the deck or baffle to stop the blades from turning.
So, you guys are saying an impact gun/wrench will just zip them right off?
I must get with the program and purchase one of these for next season. Never knew how old school I am.:o
What should I expect to pay for a decent one?

deason
10-27-2002, 11:40 PM
Originaly posted by Rodfather I recently added a cordless 14.4v, 1/2" impact gun.

How much did it set you back? Thinking about getting one for a while now.

TLS
10-28-2002, 12:32 AM
kppurn,

An 8" section of 2x4 lumber between the blade and deck baffle would work quicker, safer, and better then the C-clamp. If I need to change in the "field" , I have the 2x4 and 15/16" wrench in the box on the trailer.

In the "shop" though, I use the impact. No C-clamp or 2x4 needed. Zip-Zip.

On the SCAG, I still use 2 15/16" wrenches. One on top, one on bottom. Don't know why I dont use the impact on it, but for as little use as this mower gets, I'm lucky if I change blades a dozen times a year on it!

Zip-Zip!

LAWNGODFATHER
10-28-2002, 12:40 AM
Cheapest one I seen in Northerntool.com was $80 but you plug it in.

In the field for emergancies I use a tire iron that happens to be 15/16 and a block of 4 X 4.

gogetter
10-28-2002, 12:52 AM
Northerntool and Harborfrieght usually have a 12v one for $19.99

It comes with the 12v plug for your cigerette lighter as well as wires/clamps to run it right off your battery.

Oh and 4 (I think) different size socket sizes and a case.

rodfather
10-28-2002, 06:40 AM
I paid I think $185 for mine...comes with case and charger.

ProMo
10-28-2002, 08:04 AM
i paid 237 at hd for 6hp compressor, impact, ratchet, grinder etc and have a couple of portable tanks connected together in my trailer for jobsite use

Gravely_Man
10-28-2002, 01:57 PM
Sounds like a nice new stocking stuffer to make the job easier. Anything that can/will save your hand from injuries is well worth the money.

Gravely_Man

awm
10-28-2002, 03:17 PM
i been usin what gogetter has 12volt impact . the one im usin now is in its second year. an impact made like a cordless drill sounds like it would fill the bill to, if its strong enough.