PDA

View Full Version : Side disharge

Tony Harrell
10-26-2002, 06:16 AM
I'd like to take credit for this but can't, I'll take credit for getting it out to all of you though. I saw a walkbehind with something strange mounted above the side discharge area. The chute was missing. This guy had a chute block built for when he wanted to completely avoid discharging. It was made so that when he didn't need it, it mounted in the same spot upside down. It also won't interfere with a side bagger because he had one on it at the time. I've never seen a walkbehind with the chute down, and I've beat mine up even in the fold up position. I can see using it around sensitive areas like beds, cars, windows etc...As soon as I can get to the welding shop, I'm having one built for mine.

Tony Harrell
10-27-2002, 06:15 AM
I've been thinking about the item I saw and I've come up with a better design. Instead of welding all of those angles and using all of those materials, why not just fabricate a plate to swing up or down in place of the chute? That would be no problem to fab. I'm working on a system to do it from the operator position now, sort of like the "over center" position of the blade belt adjuster. My Bob-Cat has a place for an engagement lever on the right side that would be perfect for this. I think it was put on all the frames when they had the variable speed transmision.

gravedigger5
10-27-2002, 09:39 AM
Tony H I've made these for both my wb and my ztr. Wish I had a digital camera so I could post some pics to give you some ideas. Like you said, I used the existing mount for the discharge chute to hinge the door. On the wb I incorperated a 1/2 drive universal joint welded to the door and to a rod that runs up to the oper controls with a 90 deg bend for a handle. I just rotate the handle about 180 deg to open/close the door. Only works open or close. The one for my toro Zmaster I made a 2 position door that in the middle position works great when you still need to discharge but keeps the grass from blowing to far (like along a road or something) If I can get hold of a camera in the next week or so I will try to post some pics.

BTW I was approched by another local Lco that saw my door and was impressed and asked if maybe i could make some for his mowers. Do you think it is wise to help out the local compitition get a leg up on doing a better job and cut their cleanup time? I don't think it will make that big a difference.

Marc

gravedigger5
10-27-2002, 09:26 PM
Tony, I tried to download some photos onto LS but it keeps telling me I have to many bytes??? 102000max and the photos all are around 157000 bytes. Go figure. Anyway I got some photos if you want, contact me and I will e-mail them to you. Marc

Tony Harrell
10-28-2002, 05:25 AM
Digger, Your profile says you don't accept email. Here's mine tonyharrell@advi.net Try reducing the size of the file if your camera allows it. Thanks, Tony

mdb landscaping
10-28-2002, 07:32 AM
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?threadid=33138&highlight=the+director+york

check out this thread. Theres a company called York Sheetmetal that makes a product called The Director. Esby has bought one and in this thread posted some pictures. theres also a link to yorks website. i definately want to get one, but have been putting it off.

Gravely_Man
10-28-2002, 12:52 PM
That is a great method. Anything to make the job easier and allow for quick change over is key.

Gravely_Man

Tony Harrell
10-29-2002, 04:28 AM
Marc, I got your pics, awesome! On the walkbehind, how do you engage it, twist the handle? Btw--what kind of walkbehind is that? Thanks

gravedigger5
10-29-2002, 10:45 AM
Marc, I got your pics, awesome! On the walkbehind, how do you engage it, twist the handle? Yea, you just rotate the handle appx 180deg and the door swings open just a little past center, and the weight of it holds it open. If you hit some really hard bumps it might bounce shut.Btw--what kind of walkbehind is that? That is a genuine Howard Price Turf Equipment 48" Turfblazer made in Chesterfield MO. Probably just down the street from LGF. I think he lives somewhere near there. Marc

gravedigger5
10-29-2002, 11:25 AM
Think I might have figured out how to get those pics posted. Here goes...

gravedigger5
10-29-2002, 11:28 AM
That worked but sorry the picture quality isn't as good as the ones I e-mailed Tony. Heres somemore...

gravedigger5
10-29-2002, 11:31 AM
another...

gravedigger5
10-29-2002, 11:34 AM
Here is the Howard Price WB...

gravedigger5
10-29-2002, 11:36 AM
and another...

gravedigger5
10-29-2002, 11:39 AM
a couple more...

gravedigger5
10-29-2002, 11:43 AM
Last one:dizzy: I promise...

Tony Harrell
10-30-2002, 05:19 AM
That's an electric start engine you have on the walkbehind huh? Did it come that way, or did you put it on there? It looks like a b&s but the exhaust is on the opposite side than mine. I put a 12 hp b&s on mine and am having a real brain scrambler trying to get the thing wired right. Also, my Bob-Cat frame was manufactured with a lever mount on both sides of the handlebars, one for the blade and the other for the variable speed models. I checked yesterday and the parts are nominal. I'm going to work on it this winter when I can.

gravedigger5
10-30-2002, 09:43 AM
Briggs and Straton electric start 15.5 hp came that way but I don't think its the original motor though. That ole dog has made me some good money over the last 2 years (bought used) thing is built like a tank, and it stripes like crazy. And you can only get parts through the factory. Think I might semi retire it next year and get a 36" for gated yards since I got the 62" Toro now. Good luck on getting yours switched over to electric start. You will really like that.:) Marc

Gravely_Man
10-30-2002, 11:13 AM
The pictures really help out. Thank you for taking the time to post them! Have a great day.

Gravely_Man

rodfather
10-30-2002, 04:53 PM
Can see the positive aspects of using this in areas where discharge is a concern (around beds, cars, etc.).

My questions is, "But, what about the clippings"? It won't take long for it to build up under the deck and leave a mess. I guess if you have the plate in place for only a couple of seconds and then open the deck back up again to broadcast the clippings, you're ok.

Dunno...interesting idea though.

gravedigger5
10-30-2002, 07:02 PM
My questions is, "But, what about the clippings"? Yeah, in thick grass they do tend to pile up. But it really works great on leaves.:cool: Marc

Tony Harrell
10-31-2002, 05:39 AM
Marc, I wonder if your control rod would work if it was attached at the top and tucked in a little tighter? I would beat that one to death if it was on mine. I somtimes use the little space between the deck and rear wheels and it looks like it would interfere. Anyway, I'm going to get all the parts I need and work on it this winter to come up with a system. I'm going to steal your joint idea though! Oh, any info you can send me on your wiring setup would be appreciated. Thanks

gravedigger5
10-31-2002, 09:43 AM
Tony, you can probably locate the control rod up and in further, but try to keep it as close to center line of the door pivot, because the further away you get the more side movement you will get in the rod when you open and close the door. BTW the rod mount on my WB doesn't stick out any farther than the door and the door on the WB is so solid a while back I caught the end of a landscaping railroad tie with the door closed, stopped the mower dead in its tracks and almost threw me over the handles :eek: but didn't even phase the door. So when I built the one on the ztr, I made it flimsier so if I did hit something that solid, it would fold the door up before it messed up the deck. Goodluck and if I get some free time in the next couple of weeks, I will make up a electrical diagram for your mower.:) Marc

Tony Harrell
11-01-2002, 05:16 AM
Thanks, It'll be fun to work on this project, especially if I can ge it the way I want it. And thanks in advance for the wiring info. It's enough to drive a person buggy!

Buckeye1
11-18-2002, 01:59 PM
GD5- I was browsing through old threads when I came across this one. I liked your homemade director on the walkbehind. I spent the weekend in my dad's "mini"-fab shop working on my director. It is very similar to yours. Hope to have some pics to post in a few days.
Thanks for the idea!

Tony H - Any luck building yours?

Buckeye1
11-18-2002, 08:56 PM
Here is some pictures of my homemade "director".

Buckeye1
11-18-2002, 08:57 PM
wish they were a little clearer

Buckeye1
11-18-2002, 09:22 PM
more

Buckeye1
11-18-2002, 09:26 PM
closer view?
These pictures didn't turn out real good. I'll try to get some better ones!

Buckeye1
11-18-2002, 09:48 PM
last one

gravedigger5
11-22-2002, 10:45 PM
Buckeye1, that door looks good. You put some time in it. Hope you like it as much as I like mine. Marc