PDA

View Full Version : St Augustine problems

3glawn
07-31-2011, 08:59 PM
Im trying to figure out what is causing this yard to die. Over the last 3 years the st augustine is slowly dying out and weeds are taking over. it started out as 2 circles, 1 about 4 feet and the other about 10. Now its half the yard. Before the homeowner didnt care but now she is wanting to fix the problem and im not sure where to start. I have fertilized the yard twice this year with Bonus s. its in the mid 90s here and when it rains the grass looks great but without water in 2 days it starts to wilt. If anyone could look at these pics and help identify the problem that would be great.

forbidden
08-01-2011, 10:55 AM
Ask the owner if there used to be a tree there. The soil could be highly acidic, have a PH test done on the underlying soil to find out what the soil is doing.

RAlmaroad
08-01-2011, 11:31 AM
Looks fungal. Have you done ANY fungicides over the years? Soil harbors fungi; it is not active during the cooler and dryer times of the year. You might get on it with Ensignia at the curative application and then again in 14 days. As mentioned, a soil test to establish where we are as to pH and micros would really help. I would change fertilizers to a liquid diet. Also, take a couple of photographs that are close up and if possible include some root photos and extremely close up of the blades. The genius may weigh in with some tips

QLM
08-01-2011, 02:54 PM
What time of year did it start 3 seasons ago? It could be fungal and is the most logical problem. Start with measuring the patches and remeasure every visit to figure out if you are making any progress.
Posted via Mobile Device

3glawn
08-01-2011, 08:50 PM
It was already ther when i started mowing the lawn its just continued to get worse. I am not licensed to put out fertilizer but agreed to put it out(at no charge) if she bought it. No other chemicals have been applied to my knowledge.I will need to get someone licensed to come out for any further treatment. Here are some close up pics.

QLM
08-02-2011, 01:58 AM
Looks like fungal
Posted via Mobile Device

RAlmaroad
08-02-2011, 11:16 AM
More than likely Necrotic Ring Fungus. Although, the overall color is more snow mold looking, but thinking you're too south for that. Let us know how your company deals with this. I still maintain that Ensignia and surfactant at the curative rate every 14 days.

LoomisLawnscapes
08-02-2011, 12:24 PM
Sure looks like Brown Patch from where I sit.

3glawn
08-02-2011, 09:20 PM
Thanks for all the replies and advice. Im going to get a soil sample next week and see what that says. After that i will suggest a fungal treatment and try and find someone to hook her up with. Thanks again. You all have been a big help and I will post what I find.

poolboy
08-03-2011, 07:57 AM
Looks like Gray Leaf Spot. Do your self a favor a drop the national fert crap, you're doing harm with using it.
http://www.randylemmon.com/lawns/fertilize.html

PlantscapeSolutions
08-09-2011, 12:45 AM
We used to use PCNB (Pentachloronitrobenzene) for fungal issues but we switched to an Andersons product that doesn't smell a strong. If fungal growth goes on untreated you are basically seeding the lawn for future outbreaks.

Here in Texas we do not usually get summer fungal issues unless we get a period of wet cloudy weather that goes on for close to a week. Late September and October is our prime time for fungal issues. We would kill for a period of wet weather right now. We've been breaking heat records left and right here.