PDA

View Full Version : Snowremoval

mikemat31
08-01-2011, 03:16 AM
Hi all a little intro I am 16 and am getting my license in november. I am in a tough situation and can use some help. I currently cut a few lawns but I am not built for the landscaping industry its just not my gig. However I love snow removal I live for the winter, between the cold, waking up before friends to get out to the accounts, and the money is fantastic. Regardless as approach my 17 birthday I have to figure out what where my endeavors are going to take me. I can go one of 3 ways.
1. ditch the snow removal and do what I am currently doing now in the winter. Currently we are lifting the snowblower in the back of a friends explorer and driving from account to account which has worked better than walking it from account to account. (the kid whos explorer it is going to college and wont be home during the winter)

2. purchase an old plow truck for less than 4k and park it in my grandparents vacant garage. This option will allow me to purchase my vehicle of choice. I currently have just under 10 thousand saved. Before I start getting the comments I have saved every nickel I have. (Matter of fact I deposited my left over change today lol) This option would allow me to get my desired car a BMW 328xi coupe (with a little help from mommy and daddy). my family isn't extremely wealthy however i am fortunate enough that they will help me with a car. I can honestly say regardless of my parents financial situation I have learned the value of a dollar.

3. Ditch everything and just buy the car of choice

-I am not sure what to do. My mom isn't fond of me getting a pick. However if I am going to take plowing serious I need the equipment to do so. Its just a matter of should I do it now or wait 6 years until after college. I feel like i have an opportunity to do something great and waiting 6 years is time I could use to help further establish a real company. I am up at 2:15am because I was dreaming of snow and decided to post this. Please take into account I am going to be leaving for college so anyone who has managed a company while in college if you have any advice please feel free. I am a noob and if anyone has any type of advice I am open to all suggestions.

thanks,
mike

mikemat31
08-01-2011, 03:48 AM
One additional note. I currently work for a prodessional landscaper who does snow removal. I have the option of subbing a good amount of my work to him which could be my best option. This will allow me to have the accounts so when I do decide to get my truck I don't have to sub it to him.

havenlax18
08-01-2011, 07:43 AM
I would just buy a nice truck for like 6-7 grand

ALC-GregH
08-01-2011, 09:29 AM
You need to communicate with your parents more. I wish mine were here to ask those questions. I can tell you, it would be very foolish of you to go dump a large amount of money on a BMW. For one, 10K isn't going to get you much and a 328 isn't really nothing but a fancy Honda, Nissan or other small car. They're not worth the money. You'll go broke maintaining the thing.
Get a small truck that a 4x4. Good gas mileage, room to haul stuff (including a snow blower) and will get you around in the snow. You won't have to blow all the money you have so you have some left over after buying a truck. Then you should still have enough cash to buy a snow plow for the given truck.

MOturkey
08-01-2011, 10:02 AM
You need to communicate with your parents more. I wish mine were here to ask those questions. I can tell you, it would be very foolish of you to go dump a large amount of money on a BMW. For one, 10K isn't going to get you much and a 328 isn't really nothing but a fancy Honda, Nissan or other small car. They're not worth the money. You'll go broke maintaining the thing.
Get a small truck that a 4x4. Good gas mileage, room to haul stuff (including a snow blower) and will get you around in the snow. You won't have to blow all the money you have so you have some left over after buying a truck. Then you should still have enough cash to buy a snow plow for the given truck.

Good advice here. What we want, and what we need are often two different things. A pickup would allow you to keep your snow removal customers, without the expense of a heavy duty plow truck. Just keep using the snowblower. There is always time in the future to go big. Remember that at your age, one of the biggest factors is going to be insurance. Good luck, and kudos for saving that much money. Remember, just because you have it, doesn't meed you HAVE to spend it. :)

mowerbrad
08-01-2011, 12:50 PM
If you buy a BMW and a truck, you will have two vehicles to maintain, two vehicles to pay for gas, two vehicles to pay for insurance...it'll get very expensive and quick.

I'm a little older than you but am going to college. I don't have the money to own two vehicles, at least vehicles that I would be happy with and trust to do what I want. So I only have one truck, a 2500HD. It does everything I need it to and works great as a work and personal truck. I would suggest finding a decent truck, that you like and purchase it. You can probably find a decent truck for $8k then get a plow if you want after that. Or you could just get a car of your choice and give up plowing in the winter.

Going to college does take up a lot of your time. For the past two years, I went to paramedic school so it didn't take up as much of my time as university studies. However this fall I'm starting as a freshman at a fairly large university about 25 minutes from home. I will have class 3 days a week, my first class is at 8am and I end my day at about 5pm...get to go home then. That's 4 classes in a day and I will not be leaving campus all day.

I work as a paid on call fire fighter for the township that I live in. So my pager could go off at 3pm or 3am. There's times were you may have a big test the next day or had a very long day the day before and you just want to get some sleep, but you can't because there's a fire or a medical emergency. Its not all nights, but they happen. Getting up at 2 or 3am for a fire, working for 4 hours, then immediately going to school after...that is tough (I haven't had to do that yet, but its only a matter of time). So I may be going my whole day on 4 hours of sleep. Getting up to plow is going to be the same thing, except you can plan ahead. You will work for several hours and then be up all day going to class.

If you really like getting up and 3am and running all day on little sleep, then plowing may be right for you. If that's the case, then invest your money in a decent truck and buy a plow for it.

Just remember that if you plow, things are more likely to break/wear out faster on your truck than if you were not plowing.

mikemat31
08-01-2011, 01:30 PM
If you buy a BMW and a truck, you will have two vehicles to maintain, two vehicles to pay for gas, two vehicles to pay for insurance...it'll get very expensive and quick.

I'm a little older than you but am going to college. I don't have the money to own two vehicles, at least vehicles that I would be happy with and trust to do what I want. So I only have one truck, a 2500HD. It does everything I need it to and works great as a work and personal truck. I would suggest finding a decent truck, that you like and purchase it. You can probably find a decent truck for $8k then get a plow if you want after that. Or you could just get a car of your choice and give up plowing in the winter.

Going to college does take up a lot of your time. For the past two years, I went to paramedic school so it didn't take up as much of my time as university studies. However this fall I'm starting as a freshman at a fairly large university about 25 minutes from home. I will have class 3 days a week, my first class is at 8am and I end my day at about 5pm...get to go home then. That's 4 classes in a day and I will not be leaving campus all day.

I work as a paid on call fire fighter for the township that I live in. So my pager could go off at 3pm or 3am. There's times were you may have a big test the next day or had a very long day the day before and you just want to get some sleep, but you can't because there's a fire or a medical emergency. Its not all nights, but they happen. Getting up at 2 or 3am for a fire, working for 4 hours, then immediately going to school after...that is tough (I haven't had to do that yet, but its only a matter of time). So I may be going my whole day on 4 hours of sleep. Getting up to plow is going to be the same thing, except you can plan ahead. You will work for several hours and then be up all day going to class.

If you really like getting up and 3am and running all day on little sleep, then plowing may be right for you. If that's the case, then invest your money in a decent truck and buy a plow for it.

Just remember that if you plow, things are more likely to break/wear out faster on your truck than if you were not plowing.

Brad funny thing is I am also a firefighter in my town. Its a super small town and the amount of calls we get you wouldn't imagine. Most or nothing but you still have to go because the one serious one they need all the firefighters they can get. I know the insurance will be through the roof. I know I will get ridiculed for this but I just don't think it will look right pulling up to pick my girlfriend in an f250. However one thing she will like is the money I get from plowing. lol Whenever I try to speak with my parents about plowing they just disregard what I say. My dad says "where are we going to put a plow" and my mom says "I didn't raise my son to be a red neck." I can't say my parents aren't supportive of what I do but they aren't fond of the whole idea. Doesn't make much sense because I am a "go getter" and I am trying to earn money an honest way. Keep the replies coming

ecurbthims
08-01-2011, 01:38 PM
if your girlfriend doesnt like a truck,get a new girlfriend ! lifes too short to worry about what some girl thinks of what your driving ,especially at 16 .

TNGrassCutter
08-01-2011, 02:08 PM
What do you mean! Real girls loved trucks when I was your age.
Posted via Mobile Device

JDiepstra
08-01-2011, 02:16 PM
if your girlfriend doesnt like a truck,get a new girlfriend ! lifes too short to worry about what some girl thinks of what your driving ,especially at 16 .

Dang right.

mowerbrad
08-01-2011, 03:58 PM
Brad funny thing is I am also a firefighter in my town. Its a super small town and the amount of calls we get you wouldn't imagine. Most or nothing but you still have to go because the one serious one they need all the firefighters they can get. I know the insurance will be through the roof. I know I will get ridiculed for this but I just don't think it will look right pulling up to pick my girlfriend in an f250. However one thing she will like is the money I get from plowing. lol Whenever I try to speak with my parents about plowing they just disregard what I say. My dad says "where are we going to put a plow" and my mom says "I didn't raise my son to be a red neck." I can't say my parents aren't supportive of what I do but they aren't fond of the whole idea. Doesn't make much sense because I am a "go getter" and I am trying to earn money an honest way. Keep the replies coming

Most girls I know could care less if you drive a car or a truck. I also know many girls who really love trucks. If you have a clean, presentable car/truck, that's all that should matter. I would have no problem picking my girl friend up in my 2500HD.

Now regarding the whole situation with your parents and their thoughts on you plowing. You need to sit down with your parents and explain to them that you understand that you can't make a living forever by just plowing in the winter. I know lots of guys who plow during the winter, they have other full-time jobs but plow during the winter for some extra money. Maybe your parents just need to hear from you, what your plans for the future are. Maybe your parents are thinking that you only want to be plowing and have thought very little about what else you will do in the future.

Like I said, I know plenty of guys who plow in the winter but have other full-time jobs. Some guys are full time police officers or fire fighters. Others work in business and plow on the side. One guy does roofing during the non-winter months and plows fulltime in the winter.

There are plenty of options for you but you need to really sit down with your parents and discuss your options and your plans.

mikemat31
08-02-2011, 02:08 AM
Most girls I know could care less if you drive a car or a truck. I also know many girls who really love trucks. If you have a clean, presentable car/truck, that's all that should matter. I would have no problem picking my girl friend up in my 2500HD.

Now regarding the whole situation with your parents and their thoughts on you plowing. You need to sit down with your parents and explain to them that you understand that you can't make a living forever by just plowing in the winter. I know lots of guys who plow during the winter, they have other full-time jobs but plow during the winter for some extra money. Maybe your parents just need to hear from you, what your plans for the future are. Maybe your parents are thinking that you only want to be plowing and have thought very little about what else you will do in the future.

Like I said, I know plenty of guys who plow in the winter but have other full-time jobs. Some guys are full time police officers or fire fighters. Others work in business and plow on the side. One guy does roofing during the non-winter months and plows fulltime in the winter.

There are plenty of options for you but you need to really sit down with your parents and discuss your options and your plans.

I spoke with my dad today about the whole thing. He has no problem even speaking about an f250 because a 150 can't do ****. I am really looking for an f250 lariat somewhere around 27k with less than 50 thousand miles certified. As far as my mom goes she still the same. She said she wouldn't help me pay for it. I think my dad will be able to convince her. Ideally in 10 years I plan on working in an office. Manual labor is to hard and takes so much more effort to be successful than an office job. I will keep everyone up to date when I talk with my dad more tomorrow.

ecurbthims
08-02-2011, 02:52 AM
nice to see you have your priorities in order ,every 16 year old needs a lariat f250 as a haul around a snowblower truck .I have to add,that the f150 can haul every piece of equipment in your sig line at the same time , but somehow they cant do *** *.

ALC-GregH
08-02-2011, 09:44 AM
I spoke with my dad today about the whole thing. He has no problem even speaking about an f250 because a 150 can't do ****. I am really looking for an f250 lariat somewhere around 27k with less than 50 thousand miles certified. As far as my mom goes she still the same. She said she wouldn't help me pay for it. I think my dad will be able to convince her. Ideally in 10 years I plan on working in an office. Manual labor is to hard and takes so much more effort to be successful than an office job. I will keep everyone up to date when I talk with my dad more tomorrow.

Come on Mike. We all know better. And why on earth do you need to spend 27K on a truck?

Sorry I'm trying to help. You won't get anywhere with that kind of attitude.

All_Toro_4ME
08-02-2011, 10:13 AM
I think you need to read some archive threads over on PS regarding the plowing. Your whole thinking and plan of action for the plowing is flawed. There's plenty of guys that plow with 1/2 tons, you just have to know their limits and dont put too heavy of a plow on them. I doubt you'll be doing any spreading so you wont be carrying around a salt box in your bed, which is what many of the guys do with the 3/4 ton trucks. It sounds like you're making too large of a jump all at once. Better think about the entry costs first, especially at your age.

Km81
08-02-2011, 10:14 AM

You've got a lot to learn kid.

mikemat31
08-02-2011, 10:21 AM
im not saying a half ton couldn't do the trick because it can however if I look to expand commercially the 150 isn't going to be ideal. check this out let me know what you think.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-F-250-Lariat-2005-Ford-F-250-Super-Duty-Lariat-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5adee110a6QQitemZ390286348454QQptZUSQ5fCarsQ5fTrucks#section-vehicle-glossary

JDiepstra
08-02-2011, 10:22 AM
I could tell right away when he wanted that Bimmer that he wasnt a strong person. Thats why i suggested daycare or waitressing. Enjoy sitting behind a desk getting even wimpier and doing whatever it is your stupid boss tells you, rather than making your own decisions. Honestly, at 16 you cant drive well anyway. Youll be smashing things for sure. So dont get too nice of a truck.

mikemat31
08-02-2011, 10:27 AM
Like i said earlier I don't mean to sound pompous if there is anyone out there that plows and has a 150 please feel free to let me know how it is. It is going to wind up saving me money. I am new and I don't know anything, but I am definitely willing to learn.

mikemat31
08-02-2011, 10:31 AM
I could tell right away when he wanted that Bimmer that he wasnt a strong person. Thats why i suggested daycare or waitressing. Enjoy sitting behind a desk getting even wimpier and doing whatever it is your stupid boss tells you, rather than making your own decisions. Honestly, at 16 you cant drive well anyway. Youll be smashing things for sure. So dont get too nice of a truck.

My sister is a legal assistant and is just graduated college in june. She is making $65k+ a year. Choosing a career field in which you love is important. However, to make $65k a year starting as a landscaper is very hard to do. To say I am not strong is is far from the truth. Most kids my age are home playing videos or are sleeping when I am busting my hump at 5am in the winter. You don't know me and I don't know you please don't make assumptions.

JDiepstra
08-02-2011, 11:18 AM
My sister is a legal assistant and is just graduated college in june. She is making $65k+ a year. Choosing a career field in which you love is important. However, to make $65k a year starting as a landscaper is very hard to do. To say I am not strong is is far from the truth. Most kids my age are home playing videos or are sleeping when I am busting my hump at 5am in the winter. You don't know me and I don't know you please don't make assumptions.

When do you think your sister will be making $100K? $150K? Never. Will she have a business to sell or to start her kids in if she has any? Nope. Will she have a legacy? Not really. But there is nothing wrong with that. She can sit in her chair and eat doughnuts and get fat for the rest of her life. Fine by me. Think about it man in 10 years you can be sitting in a chair talking on the phone while the rest of us men have already been out for 8 hours plowing snow. Is that what you want? I always wonder the same about cops. Did they sign up for police academy realizing they would do nothing more that write seatbelt tickets?
Come on man you admitted what I said was true right here......

Manual labor is to hard

kennc38
08-02-2011, 11:26 AM

I agree with this. Talk to your parents so they can help with your decision. Have you checked the insurance rates for a new driver for a BMW? What about for a pickup truck? Insurance is going to be a major monthly cost for a new driver for about the first 3 years you have your insurance. Very glad to hear that you've saved your own money and not relied on your parents to buy something for you. Shows a lot of maturity. Good luck to you with whatever you choose.

JTVLandscaping
08-02-2011, 01:29 PM
I may never be rich, but back when I had jobs with bosses, I hated getting out of bed. Some reason now, I can't wait for work. I live for manual labor, it's what seperates the men from the boys. Who's out there mowing when its 100 degrees and who's sitting in A/C all day, complaining about the heat. In 10 years I see myself working outside because office work is too easy.

nepatsfan
08-02-2011, 01:45 PM
If I were you I would go in the direction you are leaning. Buy a nice used 250 or 350 with a plow. The 150's are not meant for plowing and they are girl trucks.

mowerbrad
08-02-2011, 02:47 PM
I think getting an F250 would be fine but I also think you will be perfectly fine with an F150 for quite a while. If you are going to be plowing through college, you won't have much time for expanding your plowing business. Lets face it, most people aren't graduating from college in the 4 years that seems to be the norm, its now 5 or 6 years. So that's 5 or 6 years that you won't have the time to expand your plow business (unless you start hiring employees and get into all that jazz, which would still take too much time to manage while going to college).

To be spending $27k on your first truck is a little rediculous, especially if you are going to be using it to plow...the value is just going to dive. For $12k-$15k (or less) you can find yourself a decent/reliable truck. It may not be a 2007 F250 but rather a 2002 F250 or 2005 F150.

I did not start out with my '07 truck I drive now. My first truck was a 1998 GMC 2500, I bought it at an auction from our township, I spent $2200! By the time I fixed it all up, I had a total of $7000 into it. That thing was great for 4 years or so, then it just started to break down too much. Then I ended up buying to truck I have now.

Purchase a truck that is financially smart. Don't just spend money so you can have a shiny new truck, buy one that makes sense. Obviously you want to get a reliable truck that looks taken care of.

mikemat31
08-02-2011, 03:26 PM
I get what your all saying. My parents are afraid of mr getting a big truck. They say I will be bumping cars and everything. I guess I have to agree. I think after all this I might be going with a nissan frontier. Guy at my dads work is selling one has two full rows of seating. four wheeled drive. Small bed but he will throw in a tailgate extender. it will fit a large snowblower and I can get a western suburbanite. That will be plenty of truck to hold me over until after college. I appreciate everyones input. thanks for some guidance.

ALC-GregH
08-02-2011, 09:34 PM
I get what your all saying. My parents are afraid of mr getting a big truck. They say I will be bumping cars and everything. I guess I have to agree. I think after all this I might be going with a nissan frontier. Guy at my dads work is selling one has two full rows of seating. four wheeled drive. Small bed but he will throw in a tailgate extender. it will fit a large snowblower and I can get a western suburbanite. That will be plenty of truck to hold me over until after college. I appreciate everyones input. thanks for some guidance.

Maybe you should reconsider plowing snow.

ecurbthims
08-02-2011, 10:55 PM
first you posted " f150 can't do ****. " now your buying a 4 door nissan frontier ? good luck with that .

JTVLandscaping
08-03-2011, 02:57 AM
I will say this, I plowed alot of driveways with my '84 S-10...little trucks can do it, but I wouldn't go plowing Wal-Marts with it

Km81
08-03-2011, 07:04 PM

Bahahaha Im not sure what is worse...plowing with a Nissan Frontier, or plowing with a Western Suburbanite. lol.

If you want to plow commercially, you need more than a Suburbanite. lol. 1 curb and you'll snap that mold board like a cracker. Oh and Nissan Frontiers wont last 1 season of plowing.

You should probably stop talking now. The other guy was right. Go get a job as a waiter at Applebees or something. This business isnt for you

zak406
08-03-2011, 07:19 PM
kid your absolutly clue less go to college and leave this manual labor to us "rednecks"

TNGrassCutter
08-04-2011, 03:50 PM
kid your absolutly clue less go to college and leave this manual labor to us "rednecks"

Yeehaw....

schmidt78
08-05-2011, 01:19 PM
Ok I'm just curious. Are you a firefighter or an explorer, cadet, or Jr. firefighter. at age 16 i think OSHA would not allow that to happen.

Also another thing is at age 16, my advice is to not rush into things. look for deals on trucks (don't buy at 20+ truck as your first vehicle). and don't be afraid to ask for/ advice.

trucks are so much better than cars.:)

JDiepstra
08-05-2011, 02:21 PM
I will say this, he has decent maturity when responding to our "constructive feedback". A lot of posters would be crying by now.

nepatsfan
08-05-2011, 06:22 PM
I will say this, he has decent maturity when responding to our "constructive feedback". A lot of posters would be crying by now.

80% of people on here would be yelling for a hall monitor. People come on here, ask for advice and cry when they dont get what they want to hear. It gets deleted and repeats again the next day.

Anyways...good luck to the OP regardless of what you do. Let us know what you get and post pics!

mikemat31
08-09-2011, 02:13 AM
Ok I'm just curious. Are you a firefighter or an explorer, cadet, or Jr. firefighter. at age 16 i think OSHA would not allow that to happen.

Also another thing is at age 16, my advice is to not rush into things. look for deals on trucks (don't buy at 20+ truck as your first vehicle). and don't be afraid to ask for/ advice.

trucks are so much better than cars.:)

I am a junior right now. I have my truck test within in the next to weeks, so I can finally start responding. I am honestly looking so forward to it. Next summer I will be taking firefighter 1 you can be 17 in nj but you aren't given your diploma until 18. So I will have to wait until november. I like helping others than help me

mikemat31
08-09-2011, 02:19 AM
Bahahaha Im not sure what is worse...plowing with a Nissan Frontier, or plowing with a Western Suburbanite. lol.

If you want to plow commercially, you need more than a Suburbanite. lol. 1 curb and you'll snap that mold board like a cracker. Oh and Nissan Frontiers wont last 1 season of plowing.

You should probably stop talking now. The other guy was right. Go get a job as a waiter at Applebees or something. This business isnt for you

I am not sure why you have to be so critical. I am 16 I have a lot to learn maybe in the long run its not for me but right now this is something I want to make happen. I came here for advice to see what others have to recommend. Simply because everyone on here is "professional" not that everyone acts like it. Some people on here maybe went through something similar. I am new I am young I have a lot to learn. I mine as well learn from those who have been through it already. Most kids my age aren't concerned with anything I am talking about. Seems like everyone just knocks everyone, and I don't know why. Some people have things to learn and I am one of those people and I am eager to learn and this is the right place to do so.

mikemat31
08-09-2011, 02:22 AM
I spoke with my parents we are going to get a trailer for my moms truck. Its not a pick up but it will pull whatever I have to at this stage in the game. If I need to expand I most definitely can. This is a learning experience, who knows after college maybe a customer is some CEO some where and can pull strings for me whether it be in the landscaping industry or something else. I am riding the river wherever life takes me I'll be thrilled and happy. Not must upsets me and I try not to let much get to me, so people keep hating, its really helping me with advice

nepatsfan
08-09-2011, 08:02 AM
I spoke with my parents we are going to get a trailer for my moms truck. Its not a pick up but it will pull whatever I have to at this stage in the game. If I need to expand I most definitely can. This is a learning experience, who knows after college maybe a customer is some CEO some where and can pull strings for me whether it be in the landscaping industry or something else. I am riding the river wherever life takes me I'll be thrilled and happy. Not must upsets me and I try not to let much get to me, so people keep hating, its really helping me with advice

If you end up getting the nissan, that would pull a small trailer around. I wouldnt tow a skid steer with it but a small trailer with a mower or two should be fine.

STIHL GUY
08-09-2011, 05:16 PM
I know I will get ridiculed for this but I just don't think it will look right pulling up to pick my girlfriend in an f250. However one thing she will like is the money I get from plowing. lol Whenever I try to speak with my parents about plowing they just disregard what I say. My dad says "where are we going to put a plow" and my mom says "I didn't raise my son to be a red neck." I can't say my parents aren't supportive of what I do but they aren't fond of the whole idea.

whats wrong with picking up your girlfriend in a truck?? my pickup truck is much nicer than most of my friends cars and with the amount of work the truck does for me it pays for myself....my parents were skeptical about me buying a plow as well but plow payed for itself more than a few times the first winter i had it. if they dont want to look like rednecks with a plow out in the yard see if you can work something out with a customer...maby plow a few times in exchange for leaving your plow in there back yard over the winter or something

FuturePilot4u
08-09-2011, 07:47 PM
buy 5 ATM's and become rich like me

NaturalIntegrity
08-11-2011, 09:23 PM
Are you going to college locally or far away? I live in NJ and I ended up selling my business when I went to college in SC. I tried to run it from 700 miles away and that lasted one semester. It was just too difficult to deal with a sub contractor, getting paid and having clients call me with one complaint or another when I was 700 miles away and couldn't do much.

deere615
08-11-2011, 10:00 PM
I cant believe your parents don't want you to get a truck! they are probably more safer than a car more versatile and who cares about the girlfriend thing girls love trucks. Thats all I ever had and all I will ever own a truck is so much nicer to drive than a car IMO

NPMinc
08-12-2011, 09:41 AM

Just make sure you practice backing/manuevering a trailer in a vacant lot before you try it for real on the road. Back to the OP, I would agree with others that a pickup truck would be your best bet for doing snow removal wether you decide to get a plow or not. I would look for a good used 4x4 half ton (150/1500 series) or if your not gonna put a plow on, an s10, ranger etc. I would also not get a "homeowner" class of plow as the are not built real well and won't hold up to commercial use. No need for a 3/4 or 1 ton at this point. Get yourself a good set of bed ramps and you can load your blowers, etc in there n your mowing equipment in the summer. And yes a half ton will plow quite well provided you know its limits and dont beat it to death.

Deererunner
08-12-2011, 08:41 PM
Just giving advice Mike, Don't knock on 150/1500's until you know their capabilities and then go say your going to buy some foreign POS. I have everything from 150 to 550s that we use to landscape and plow snow with. More then 90% of our business is commercial and large commercial such as Acme's and Wal-marts. All of the 150's were more productive then the other larger trucks in the past 2 seasons of snow. Can we load them up with salt to do an entire parking lot, no. But thats why the 550 has a 4 yard spreader. Also being from Jersey, insurance in general for a car/truck is more then most states. And then add to it your 17 and then want to make it a commercial policy with plowing, really shop for insurance prices before you decide to plow, you could easily start off with a policy in the 4-6k range in Jersey. You also have to take into considered if we get no snow this year, snow isn't guaranteed every year and it takes a lot of knowledge and a tough of luck to make it big in snow. Just because you plow snow doesn't mean you are going to be instantly rich. Best advice is to make a list filled with pros and cons and weight out all your options. And your girl friend not liking trucks, no offense, your 16 and you may or may not marry this chick. If she doesn't like what your driving, tough for her, you bought it not her.

Just take this all in and think about it. Especially since I went to school for 5 years with 2 different degrees, school and owning your own company does not always mix well... But good luck with whatever route you take!

nepatsfan
08-12-2011, 11:06 PM
Just giving advice Mike, Don't knock on 150/1500's until you know their capabilities and then go say your going to buy some foreign POS. I have everything from 150 to 550s that we use to landscape and plow snow with. More then 90% of our business is commercial and large commercial such as Acme's and Wal-marts. All of the 150's were more productive then the other larger trucks in the past 2 seasons of snow. Can we load them up with salt to do an entire parking lot, no. But thats why the 550 has a 4 yard spreader. Also being from Jersey, insurance in general for a car/truck is more then most states. And then add to it your 17 and then want to make it a commercial policy with plowing, really shop for insurance prices before you decide to plow, you could easily start off with a policy in the 4-6k range in Jersey. You also have to take into considered if we get no snow this year, snow isn't guaranteed every year and it takes a lot of knowledge and a tough of luck to make it big in snow. Just because you plow snow doesn't mean you are going to be instantly rich. Best advice is to make a list filled with pros and cons and weight out all your options. And your girl friend not liking trucks, no offense, your 16 and you may or may not marry this chick. If she doesn't like what your driving, tough for her, you bought it not her.

Just take this all in and think about it. Especially since I went to school for 5 years with 2 different degrees, school and owning your own company does not always mix well... But good luck with whatever route you take!

How did you land a wal mart?

shovelracer
08-12-2011, 11:22 PM
At 17 arent you on a restricted license anyways. That means no plowing between 11pm and 5am. Actually that is just driving, not sure plowing is mentioned or restricted further. Just some food for thought. There are people out there who's only job is to plow. Now they are not just plowing 3 months and taking vacation. They have fleets, plow malls and airports, and work steady 10 months out of the year. This will not happen your first year. Also one of the biggest mistake people make in landscaping is assuming that plowing is an extension of the green business. In actuality it is a completely different animal. Most guys actually do not make money plowing, but they do not realize it.

With a small list of residential clients you can do just fine with a wrangler, cherokee, f150, etc as long as you put the proper equipment on it and dont over do it. Now plowing and salting destroy your equipment so a nice truck is a waste. You will have additional problems with salt getting in your power seats and windows and drying your leather. Stripped down manual window vehicles is the way to go. Then realize that whatever your vehicle choice, you can plan on rebuilding the entire front end every year or two. Ball joints, tie rods, wheel bearings, transmissions, brake and fuel lines are all things that have very short lives in a plow truck. Then your insurance, probably gonna run several thousand. These are things most guys do not plan on. Every year we get several calls mid season from people who's plow guy never showed because he had equipment problems. If you want to be serious, you need a plan, you need a backup to that plan, and you need money.

There have been storms that we needed to lay out 7k to get things fixed for the next storm a few days later. There was a time when we had laid out 20k in supplies, labor, and repairs, with 50k unpaid receivables. There have been times when I was in the drivers seat either plowing or sleeping for 4 days straight. There have also been times when things went flawless and we made tens of thousands in a few days time. But mostly it involves a ton of planning, way more work than most people realize, and a dedication to your clients cause it's no fun when you want your bed and you still have a half full list to finish.