PDA

View Full Version : 44" Lazer Hp Exmark

brian12
10-26-2002, 12:55 PM
I am in the market for a small ZTR does anyone know what the price of an Exmark Lazer HP 44" and what motor comes on it?
And has anyone used one and did you like it? I need a small mower and I want a ZTR not a wb

Thanks for any input:help:

odin
10-26-2002, 04:50 PM
brian that model comes in either 17 horse kawsaki or 20 horse kohler. i dont know what it cost but i would go with at least the 48 hp really the 52 inch is the ideal machine.

brian12
10-26-2002, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by odin00
brian that model comes in either 17 horse kawsaki or 20 horse kohler. i dont know what it cost but i would go with at least the 48 hp really the 52 inch is the ideal machine.

Price dictates what I can afford, I am close to buying a 48/19 Tiger cub but everyone is so high on Exmark I thought I'd see if I could afford one

odin
10-26-2002, 07:21 PM
Brian

The tiger cub is a excellent machine to. we just got a 52 tiger cub and it cuts about on par with our lazer hp mowers.

Envy Lawn Service
10-26-2002, 11:47 PM
The dealer I talked to priced a 44" with the 20 HP Kolher at $5700. But that price was only good on that one unit and was the only one he had left in stock new. He said he'd offer that price only to get it out of the way for the 2003's.

I too started out on the small ZTR bandwagon. After shopping a bit, I realized "hey these smaller ones don't have any extra deck left for a trim edge." I think that would be more of a pain in the you know what in the long run than spending the extra now.

Another dealer priced the 52" Lazer Z to me at $6,750. An extra $1,000 is a hard one to swallow for just a 10" bigger deck. But I'm sure it wouldn't take long to make up the extra $$$ in time saved cutting and trimming up close to stuff.

Believe me...I feel your pain as well. Let me know if you find something smaller with some trim edge. Even though I'm not all that conserned about having a large cutting width, I have convinced myself that i shouild save the extra and spring for atleast the 52" cut just for the trim.

65hoss
10-27-2002, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by Envy Lawn Service
Another dealer priced the 52" Lazer Z to me at $6,750. An extra $1,000 is a hard one to swallow for just a 10" bigger deck. But I'm sure it wouldn't take long to make up the extra $$$ in time saved cutting and trimming up close to stuff.

Not just 10" difference. Different hydro pumps. Same as on the full size lazers. So you get the added speed of the full size lazers. Bigger motors. More add-ons, i.e. anti-blowout baffle. Heck, faster speeds and more width equals more production. Plus trim side ability.

Envy Lawn Service
10-27-2002, 06:06 PM
I guess I got lied to then if all this is the case. Here is a copy of the e-mail I recieved from a dealer when I 1st inquired about Exmark....

Thank for the intrest and the opportunity to earn your busines, the HP unit is
a small version of the standard Z, it still carrys all of the most important
fetures, same gauge metal construction, blade assy's, pumps and wheel motors,
it's just in a more compact package, we have several models to chose from
starting at $5500.00, Please feel free to call me at ###-###-####.

I HATE being lied to. If this info is printed in the literature, I'll sure be filling his ear full!!!:angry:

Anyways, from what I've seen of ZTR's I'll have to have atleast a 52" cut. I have a lot of stuff to trim up against. The 52" is the first to offer any kind of trim edge on the deck. I'd like say a 60" even more. I just have to decidee it that kind of width will be ok for me.

Envy Lawn Service
10-27-2002, 11:21 PM
Well, I checked the 2002 literature I have. It states everything is the same other than these things...

Lazer has system check relief on drive system, HP doesn't

Lazer is faster than the 44" & 48" HP

All have deck lift, 44" does not

Small size difference

As far as I know, the smaller units will be getting new ad ons like the big boys soon. I'm not sure they will be doing the baffle kit though

Envy Lawn Service
10-29-2002, 11:07 PM
Correction!!!!

After seeing the 44" 48" and 60" all three side by side today, I see that I was wrong about some things.

The 4" does have a lift. Just not foot assist. but it doesn't need it. The 60" does!!! But the ones I saw today didn't. It isn't all that bad lifting the 60" without foot assist. But it sure wouldn't hurt it to have it either!!! I WONDER IF WHAT I SAW WAS A LATE MODEL???

The HP's have alot narrower tires too in compairison to the full size 60".

Really I don't think I'd go smaller than the 48" since it's only $5,700 here. It has just a tiny bit of trim. The 44" has NONE. I too say the 52" is probably the best all around choice though as it has a bit more trim and cut. Is it worth another $1,000??? Well yeah. But I guess it's all realitive to what you can afford if you are paying cash. If you are financing....get the 52" atleast. I would.

brucec32
01-30-2003, 05:34 PM
The dealer I talked to priced a 44" with the 20 HP Kolher at $5700. But that price was only good on that one unit and was the only one he had left in stock new. He said he'd offer that price only to get it out of the way for the 2003's.

I too started out on the small ZTR bandwagon. After shopping a bit, I realized "hey these smaller ones don't have any extra deck left for a trim edge." I think that would be more of a pain in the you know what in the long run than spending the extra now.

Believe me...I feel your pain as well. Let me know if you find something smaller with some trim edge. Even though I'm not all that conserned about having a large cutting width, I have convinced myself that i shouild save the extra and spring for atleast the 52" cut just for the trim.

Remember, that nice long trim edge is a double edged blade. The more deck overhang you have, the easier it is to edge, sure. But it also means that your deck edge is further from your front caster wheel, and you're relying on your anti-scalp roller on the deck to protect turf when you hit uneven areas. It won't cut down to dirt, but you also won't get as smooth of a cut as when the deck size equals the wheel spacing on the mower.

I use the 48" deck, which is a compromise (some trimming ability, but not too much overhang) which works good. And most of the time, I'm on properties where either trimming close or cut quality over rolling/rough areas isn't a big factor. But when it does matter, it's nice to know you can use your big mower to do a good job.

For example, I have a few lawns that I can mow with my Lazer pretty well. But with a 52" deck, I would probably have to swing to my 21" or 36" walk behinds to make it look nice enough. (rolling terrain in small areas with concave surfaces). That's a big time saver. And even the 44" deck has enough trimming ability to cut up to a lawn's edge. And I have to edge the Bermuda and string trim alongside obstacles anyway(always a blade or two you can't get with any mower)

Not to mention the fact that I have a few gated yards that my 48" barely won't fit in. The 44" would. Another big time saver. I have a 36" wb, but I hate having to haul its weight around all day for just one or two lawns.

My question about the 44" deck would be..."does its deck equal its wheel spacing, or is the deck narrower? That might be a problem.
So the 44" deck has its place, too.

brucec32
01-30-2003, 05:37 PM

Remember, that nice long trim edge is a double edged blade. The more deck overhang you have, the easier it is to edge, sure. But it also means that your deck edge is further from your front caster wheel, and you're relying on your anti-scalp roller on the deck to protect turf when you hit uneven areas. It won't cut down to dirt, but you also won't get as smooth of a cut as when the deck size equals the wheel spacing on the mower.

I use the 48" deck, which is a compromise (some trimming ability, but not too much overhang) which works good. And most of the time, I'm on properties where either trimming close or cut quality over rolling/rough areas isn't a big factor. But when it does matter, it's nice to know you can use your big mower to do a good job.

For example, I have a few lawns that I can mow with my Lazer pretty well. But with a 52" deck, I would probably have to swing to my 21" or 36" walk behinds to make it look nice enough. (rolling terrain in small areas with concave surfaces). That's a big time saver. And even the 44" deck has enough trimming ability to cut up to a lawn's edge. And I have to edge the Bermuda and string trim alongside obstacles anyway(always a blade or two you can't get with any mower)

Not to mention the fact that I have a few gated yards that my 48" barely won't fit in. The 44" would. Another big time saver. I have a 36" wb, but I hate having to haul its weight around all day for just one or two lawns.

Another "plus". A 44" deck with the Kohler has about as good a power/deck ratio as a 52" deck with 23 hp. So you get similar ability in tough grass or mulching as with a more expensive unit.

My question about the 44" deck would be..."does its deck equal its wheel spacing, or is the deck narrower? That might be a problem.

So the 44" deck has its place, too, if you aren't mowing huge wide areas and prefer its advantages over its limitations.

jason r.
01-30-2003, 06:53 PM
In April 2002 I went to my eXmark dealer to buy a Lazer HP w/ 44"cut and 20hp Kohlor. I ended up buying the 44"with the 17hp Kawi. It was on sale for $4999 and the 20hp was at reg. price of $6399 so my decision was easy! I like the machine but when I buy next time it'll be the Lazer Z (not hp) with the 52"cut and 27hp Kohler. Better trim side ability and better hp/cut ratio. The 44"deck is exactly the same width as the outside of my rear tires. Actually I'll be buying a Walker next time but my next midmount Z will be the 52/27 Lazer.

Joemow
01-30-2003, 07:10 PM
I have Ex-Mark HP 48 with 21hp Kawie, & love it ! 3 years & no problems. Check out the Ultra - Vac system too ! Works great !

brucec32
02-08-2003, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by Joemow
I have Ex-Mark HP 48 with 21hp Kawie, & love it ! 3 years & no problems. Check out the Ultra - Vac system too ! Works great !

I just made a deal on a 48hp/21kawi for $6799. Mind telling me what you paid for your unit?

Looking forward to seeing how the added torque and hp helps vs. my old 18hp Kohler unit.

Joemow
02-08-2003, 07:34 PM
Bruce32, I got a deal on mine for $6300. + tax . My ultra- vac was $1500. + tax, but I think the prices have increased in the last few years also !
Its a good price at $6800, & they are good machines with Kawie. It won't be a mistake.
Good luck !

Envy Lawn Service
02-09-2003, 03:00 AM
One other "trim" issue not covered....

If you have a 44" deck and a 44" rear track width, then you find yourself overlapping a portion of the tire tracks on each pass. I really don't like to do that.

I like a deck with atleast 2-3" of trim on each side. Enough to trim with, enough to avoid tire track overlap and not so much that you have scalping problems.

mpg
02-09-2003, 05:23 AM
I went through the same dilemma this time last year. i went in circles debating about going with the 52 verses the 60. i went with the 52 in fullsize Exmark Lazer. My arguement with many was that yes you may lose a little width but you make up for it with what you can get to verses the 60. Many of my friends in the industry preached the 60 but in most cases i have proved them wrong. I spent a few more bucks and got the 25 hr. This machine will not bog down. I have put it up against a 60 with a 27 and and i make up the difference became i do not slow down.