PDA

View Full Version : Wright Sentar

Envy Lawn Service
10-26-2002, 03:53 PM
I just got some literature on this machine recently. I did a search and came up with some info. But most of it was just chatter.

Is anyone using these? Any info would be helpful since I haven't even been able to find a single one in stock anywhere.

Ferdelance
10-26-2002, 10:12 PM
I don't own a Wright Sentar, but I've tried one out. I like it alot, I might even buy one, but first, wright has to fix a few things on the Sentar. The Hydro belts were an issue this year. When I went to the dealer, he had a couple of Sentars in his shop. Im sure Wright has taken care of this though. The seat could be a little more comfortable.
This mower is awesome, quick and easy mowing deck height change, great cut, incredibly fast, climbs hills, easy to use and many more things.
Tell your dealer to get a Sentar in stock so you can demo it.:blob3:

lawn and stump
10-26-2002, 10:35 PM
I have a 61" sentar with a 25hp kawi. The mower is fast, short and yes the seat can be hard- but I hear they redesigned it.
I have had a few minor problems like loose wheel motor bolts and a short where the control linkage wore through a wire.My dealer, Allen mower in Ma. has been great and Wright mfg. is a class act. I love my mower and it's the best in my 20 yrs in this bus. great quality of cut also.

Envy Lawn Service
10-26-2002, 10:50 PM
I questioned a dealer as to why he didn't have any in stock and why he couldn't give me a price. He told me there was a delay in production because they were doing some redesigning some things and fixing some bugs they found in quality control.

He went on to say how they'd rather make sure the machine is a good product before shipping than to go ahead and ship models knowing that they will have issues and have to be brought back in for updates.

I think most of us can agree not many companies will allow such things to slow availability and sales. Most would rather ship, sell and bring you in later for a fix as an afterthought.

By the way, for anyone who cares, he says they "plan" to start shipping new units out sometime in November.

OBRYANMAINT
10-27-2002, 12:11 AM
i have over 1000 hours on mine a 23 hp 52 deck, love it wright and my dealer have been great

the seat is all good now and that was my ONLY beef ,i did have to pay for the upgrade but that is the only thing i am a bit sour about

excellent hillside stability,cut super in the driving rain , one of the first few machines to have 1/4 deck adjustments(now everyone does)

has a cup holder

possibly the only setback with a 61 deck is you cannot raise the deck while operating the machine like you can with a foot pedal....for when you see that dip or hump but with my 52 deck its not a concern

let the q's fly my dealer has sold over ten and most others are not over 600 yet........its gotta tell you something with mine over 1000........we really like the mower!!!!!!!!!

Shady Brook
10-27-2002, 01:23 AM
I have used both a 52 Sentar, and the 61 on multiple occasions. It has some nice features, but I would not buy one as they are currently. I would opt for just about any sit down rider compared to them. I really love a foot operated deck lift, and the seat even if it is redesigned, can not compare to a regular z seat. The more I used the machines, the more I disliked the cut. It cut nice and clean, but did not seem to grind stuff up even after running over it several times. The mechanics I talk to really have nothing good to say about them as far as working on them goes. The people I know that have them are switching to other machines for a variety of reasons.

I would really look hard at them before buying, talk to people who run them in the area where you live.

Jay

Envy Lawn Service
10-27-2002, 01:18 AM
I had only started to look into these when I first started shopping the ZTR market. I have hills and was afraid I couldn't use just any ZTR. So I looked a few towns north of me where the terrain is really really steep to see what was being sold there.

What I found was Wright, Exmark, Walker, Yazoo Kees & Bobo-Cat. I just used this as a guage point. I figured those dealers would be carrying machine that were better for steep terrain.

I've already seen hilling ability mentioned twice so far. I guess I wasn't too far off the mark there.

captdevo
10-27-2002, 07:31 AM
for hills and slopes, you can't beat a Walker SD52" w/ A/T tires "if you can follow me on mine, i'll buy your mower!"

it's the best i've ever operated on hillsides, very comfortable, low center of gravity.

i've run both standers and sentars, they are built well and cut good (other than mulching, as said above) and do well on hillsides (gotta lean into it) but i have had them slide where my walker cruises right along.

Shady Brook
10-27-2002, 09:43 AM
Hey Captdevo,

Is that walker as good on a hill as the Hustler Z, and Super Z? I thought they were awsome on hills. How does that walker you mention side discharge?

Thanks
Jay

Envy Lawn Service
10-27-2002, 11:07 AM
captdevo,

I don't doubt your statement no one bit. I looked at walker after doing demo on an Exmark. Walkers are the lowriders of mowers. Even though I thought the Exmark did pretty well for the places I got a chance to go, I'd doubt very seriously that it or any other mid mount could "hang" with a walker.

Of the two front mowers I've looked at, Walker & Grasshopper, they both look more stable to me than mid mounts.

captdevo
10-27-2002, 11:14 AM
Jay,

yes, the Walker MT26SD52 is much more stable on slopes and hills than any mid-mount that i've operated.

i run a 52" side discharge deck with doubles, it does an excellent job.

John Gamba
10-27-2002, 04:48 PM
Hello captdevo
Is the 52 SD Still Available Or Is it only 56 SD.
john.

captdevo
10-27-2002, 04:58 PM
yeppers,

the 52" and the 62" are the only belt driven decks offered by walker!!

they are the "cemetery specials" with 1/2" cold-rolled steel around the deck edge.

tough...very tough!

Shady Brook
10-27-2002, 07:31 PM
Capt

About how much do those units run, and do they come with the ability to elevate the grass bin into a dump while staying seated on the machine?

Thanks
Jay

Envy Lawn Service
10-28-2002, 02:17 PM
CaptDevo,

The Walker dealer here really don't know jack about them. So please tell me a little about Walkers completely sealed maitenance free drive units. That doesn't sound good to me.

LawnSmith
10-28-2002, 06:46 PM
the wright sentar and the wright stander are designed for someone with 12" long fingers, those are the most uncomfortable controls i have ever experienced. i ran a sentar for 2 days just for the fun of it because my local dealer got some in and i couldnt stand that machine. i feel that i am a fairly quick learner but i couldnt get used to the controls and i bet i didnt exceed 4 mph the whole time i was on it.
side to side on hills is doable on either machine but up and down hills on the sentar takes some cujones...i put those crappy wheelie rollers to use quite a few times while going up hills.

but, i like the price of either machine compared to a riding ztr and i like the fact that for every 61" rider i could put two 61" standers on the trailer.

all machines have their place but that place is not here for those machines.

brucec32
01-28-2003, 05:05 AM
Originally posted by OBRYANMAINT
i have over 1000 hours on mine a 23 hp 52 deck, love it wright and my dealer have been great

let the q's fly my dealer has sold over ten and most others are not over 600 yet........its gotta tell you something with mine over 1000........we really like the mower!!!!!!!!!

Super, I have a few questions. Their website is pretty sparse on pics and info.

1. Cut and discharge....one post I read said it left clumps and require a 2nd pass....true or not?

2. controls. Does the sentar have true zero turn capability? Is it awkward using a seperate lever for reverse? Any info on how easy it is to steer is appreciated. Coming off a Lazer Z here.

3. Ever mulch with it?

4. what other mowers have you used, to compare it with?

5. Do you feel it's easier to make turns w/o damaging turf than mid-mount ztr's?

Thanks

lawn and stump
01-28-2003, 10:31 AM
I have used a 60 in lazer and now have a 61" 25 hp Sentar.
The sentar is shorter and fits on trailer better
I mow every lawn I have with the 61" sentar it doesn't look like a huge mower that sometimes freaks out older people.
When on side and hills it is more stable-you can shift your weight and if you loose it you can bale out the back.
I lost traction with my lazer going down a slope by a road and ended up in the road. the sentar is much better in that respect but still be carefull on wet grass. quality of cut on lazer is excellent sentar is the same. the new seat is great. the controls are easy to use and if you let go it comes to a stop using dynamic braking. the only operator presence switch is on a treadle platform that you stand on. and easy to get off to pick up a stick.
It doesn't seem to tear as much on sharp turns because of the balance, but the proper turn with any ztr is more of a 3pt turn
I like the quick height adjustment for the real tall lawns I cut higher if it's leaving lots of clippings. I just bought my second Sentar if that means anything. I have been in business 19 yrs and
this is my favorite mower so far.

Bluesteel
01-28-2003, 12:57 PM
I demoed a Sentar for about a week last summer. I was all set to buy it, until I tried it on steep slopes. Overall it seemed like a very solid machine, and for level ground and easy to moderate slopes, its a winner. But I'm 6'3" 240 not fat, and the Sentar's layout was on the crampt side. After a while, it was comfortable on level ground, but on very steep slopes it was dangerous. Hanging that much weight off the back of the machine made the front end very light. This made reversals on the side of a steep slope tricky. A few times, when it was time to get off the machine, my legs would get caught up in between the seat and the inside of the wheel-wells. It was obvious that I was headed for a broken leg. Maybe someone not my size wouldn't have that problem. Please notice, I was testing this machine on some VERY steep slopes that would be dangerous for any mower. In fact, so steep I'd never another take a "riding mower" on them but a Stander. Again, the Sentar is a great machine and if I wasn't as large or had to deal with tricky slopes, I'd buy one.

lawn and stump
01-28-2003, 02:36 PM
they made some changes last fall the control panel is higher and
the new seat looks great

thartz
01-28-2003, 03:33 PM
Envy Lawn;we got to get you to the trade shows brother! I saw one of the Sentar's in Charlotte.Looks like a real good machine and the dist.is going to let me demo when season allows.Come on up to God's country and we'll have a look together;my concern is the ability on hills,everthing up here has some kind of grade to it.

Scraper
01-28-2003, 03:55 PM
Glad to see those thread got revived. Any other Sentar owners out there care to put in some input? Haven't really heard too many criticisms about this machine and I am considering a purchase of one in the next two weeks.

Thanks in advance!

grassdaddy
01-28-2003, 04:42 PM
How do you get past the ugly??

thartz
01-28-2003, 05:12 PM
Grassdaddy; I'm with you on that opinion;it does look like a reject from a Star Wars film but,if it will work I'll give it a try.

grassdaddy
01-28-2003, 05:20 PM
I saw the Velkie guy on one at expo,it is FAST,he was awesome on that thing,on level ground.i couldn;t get the hang of it.it did seem well built.it's just not for me.:)

thartz
01-28-2003, 05:27 PM
the velke is cool I use on behind a Toro hydro and you can move pretty fast but you sometimes have to have the balance of a circus acrobat to use it.One of my employees can't get the hang of it no matter how hard he tries.P.S Istink at using a weedeater to edge and he can kick my booty at that so to each his own

thfireman
05-07-2003, 11:56 PM
I think the Sentar looks pretty cool, but cool don't get the job done. From what I have read here the Sentar seems to be a good mower for flat to moderately hilly lawns. I am looking at one and was wondering what you think of this price?

2002 61" Sentar with 25 HP Kawa with oil cooler upgrade and upgrade seat. It has 324 hours and looks new except for the usual curb burns on the deck. The firm asking price is $5500.00

Is this worth pursuing?:confused:

Bluesteel
05-08-2003, 02:43 AM
Did you see the ones on eBay?

thfireman
05-08-2003, 09:09 AM
Yea but I can actually try out the one I am looking at. That makes a big difference in my mind.

What are you opinions of the ones on eBay?

Bluesteel
05-08-2003, 01:03 PM
I don't know, they looked okay, but what do I know. The low-hour Sentar's on eBay went for more money. Forget about eBay auction rules, I would have to go pick it up and inspect it before I actually laid down any cash. West of the Mississppi a buyer is pushing break-even, but you're almost next door.

thartz
05-08-2003, 01:11 PM
thefireman;I bought one from ebay.They are shipping it to me real soon.Will let you know how it ends up.

Builderman
05-09-2003, 10:14 PM
Hi Everyone,

I have been reading this forum for a couple of weeks and just registered.
For a little background I have been a remodeling contractor for 16 years and have grown tired of subcontractors, poor materials, etc. and am looking to start a lawncare service.

I saw the Wright Sentar on Ebay and thought this would be a good deal since I need a new mower for my own property and would be great to have it if I do decide to start a new business.

I live very close to the Wright manufacturing plant and was able to pay them a visit. They have a very nice and modern operation with CNC cut steel, and a powder coating finish system. The welding and assembly is done by hand.

I arrived with the serial numbers in hand for the mowers on Ebay and proceeded to check them out. They were in very nice condition and many looked like new. They are also very heavy built with very little plastic.

I decided I wanted to buy one right away. I could not buy one of the Ebay ones as they were currently active on the auction so I was taken to the ones that have not yet been prepared for the auction. I was able to see what they looked like before all the cleaning. I found one in good shape with only 23 hrs. on the meter! I payed for it and they said they would have it ready for pickup by the end of the day. When I picked it up it looked like it was brand new! They had completely checked it over, changed oil, spark plugs, sharpened blades, installed oil cooler and lines, and cleaned it.

Took it home and the next day mowed for a couple hours. It runs and cuts great, was also cutting some 8" grass in the rougher field just to get to use it some more, worked great. I had no problems with the controls and after about an hour it all seemed natural and could put the mower anywhere I wanted. This is the first ZTR mower I have used so I really can't compare it to anything else, but I found it to be very easy to operate and it worked very well.

I can't say how it will hold up over time but I see no reason why it would not last a very long time. If it continues to operate as it did the first time this is the brand mower I will use for some time to come.

Sorry for the long post but with all the Wright bashing I have read I thought they deserved a good post as well. Just because they are not the big name most people know does not mean they are no good. If I had not seen them on Ebay I would not even know they existed and I am only 30 miles away.

If anyone would like to ask me anything about the mower I would be more then glad to respond, just remember I am not a proffesional...yet.

I am learning alot on this forum, thanks everyone.:)

Duncan Lawn Care
05-09-2003, 11:04 PM
Builderman, what year and size deck did you go with? What price did you pay if you don't mind saying? Thanks

mowerman90
05-09-2003, 11:13 PM
thfireman,

I am looking at one and was wondering what you think of this price?

I too am interested in getting a Sentar (61" 25hp Kawi) and just received a quote today from my dealer for a "new" 2002 model he has on his showroom floor with the oil cooler and seat upgrade for $6400+tax. I think this is a great price considering that I'll get the FULL 2 year warranty on the entire machine, 3 years on the spindles, and 4 (yes, that's right) years on the wheel motors.

Builderman
05-09-2003, 11:45 PM
I paid $5,000 even. It is a 2002 model 61" deck with the upgraded seat and oil cooler. It does not have a long warranty so I can only hope it is actually built as well as it seems. I don't have a dealer close to know what dealers normally sell them for but $6,400 seems like a good price considering the long warranty should you need it and the fact it is still a good discount from suggested list price. I generally fix my own equipment so I would only be out the materials, and is worth the risk to me. I also like it because the factory is close to me and if I need parts I won't have to wait for a dealer to get them in.

thfireman
05-09-2003, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by mowerman90
thfireman,

I too am interested in getting a Sentar (61" 25hp Kawi) and just received a quote today from my dealer for a "new" 2002 model he has on his showroom floor with the oil cooler and seat upgrade for $6400+tax. I think this is a great price considering that I'll get the FULL 2 year warranty on the entire machine, 3 years on the spindles, and 4 (yes, that's right) years on the wheel motors.

That is worth looking into. Thanks everyone for the info.:)

thfireman
05-27-2003, 12:06 AM
OK,

I finally settled on a 52" 23HP Kawasaki powered Sentar. It is the 2003 model with upgraded seat suspension, larger wheel motors and oil cooler. This thing is awesome. Smooth controls and fast as heck! I was playing around with the demo unit and cutting 5" tall grass down to 3" and running it as fast as it would go. Clean cut and smooth. I would never go quite that fast on my own lawns but in a pinch it is nice knowing it can do it. It is rated at 11.2 MPH cutting speed but I was going full bore. SWEET MACHINE. Handles great on hills too! It has been wet here for weeks and I took it on a hill that was about 25 degrees or so and it never slipped down. Nice controllability. I'm Sold!

John Gamba
07-27-2005, 02:34 PM
OK,

I finally settled on a 52" 23HP Kawasaki powered Sentar. It is the 2003 model with upgraded seat suspension, larger wheel motors and oil cooler. This thing is awesome. Smooth controls and fast as heck! I was playing around with the demo unit and cutting 5" tall grass down to 3" and running it as fast as it would go. Clean cut and smooth. I would never go quite that fast on my own lawns but in a pinch it is nice knowing it can do it. It is rated at 11.2 MPH cutting speed but I was going full bore. SWEET MACHINE. Handles great on hills too! It has been wet here for weeks and I took it on a hill that was about 25 degrees or so and it never slipped down. Nice controllability. I'm Sold!

Fireman

Do you still love your Sentar??
John

br549oicu8
07-27-2005, 02:43 PM
I would be interested if everyone that bought an Ebay Sentar is still happy. One of mine is a boat anchor at 300 hours!!

TClawn
07-27-2005, 04:19 PM
you can ship your boat anchor to hawaii, and I'll see what I can do with it. might even work good for the sail boat. LOL.

I really think that you could fix that thing fairly easily with a hydro line re routing. you would have to change the way the system moved the flow, and I think it would help, that and installing filters in the hydro line.