PDA

View Full Version : Effectiveness of Certainty on Nutsedge

DA Quality Lawn & YS
08-02-2011, 01:42 AM
Anyone use Certainty to treat nutsedge? If so, what is your opinion?
Reason I ask is I have a bottle, and would rather not buy another expensive product for the nutsedge if I can just backpack Certainty on some patches of the stuff.

Thx

greendoctor
08-02-2011, 03:13 AM
Its great stuff on nutsedge. However, it can only be used on Kentucky Blue. All other cool season grasses are suppressed and eventually removed. Even on KBG, the rate used is 1/4 what I can apply to warm season grasses. Spot treatment is probably not a good idea unless you have the means to make the amount applied per spot equivalent to the per acre rate.

Ric
08-02-2011, 11:03 AM
Its great stuff on nutsedge. However, it can only be used on Kentucky Blue. All other cool season grasses are suppressed and eventually removed. Even on KBG, the rate used is 1/4 what I can apply to warm season grasses. Spot treatment is probably not a good idea unless you have the means to make the amount applied per spot equivalent to the per acre rate.

Green

I believe there was a Disscussion about Spot Vs Blanket treatment for Sedge control. If I remember correctly we both said Blanket was the only way.

gregory
08-02-2011, 12:05 PM
just got done blanket my acre yard a few weeks ago stuff works great...takes longer then dismiss...

greendoctor
08-02-2011, 02:18 PM
just got done blanket my acre yard a few weeks ago stuff works great...takes longer then dismiss...

On warm season grasses, Certainty applied broadcast is one of the safest applications. Even in hot weather.

Ric, I had to add that bit about spot treatment because I understand the conventions of weed control in the cool season area. Notice the OP is from the Midwest. If cost were an issue and yellow nutsedge were the problem, my next move would be Basagran applied broadcast. I have the misfortune of having only purple nutsedge. In some yards, that stuff comes up so thick that it looks like it was planted as the lawn. The unqualified people will actually go around spot treating a yard like this with Sedgehammer. When I have a lawn like this to clean up, the walking boom treats 1000 sq ft per minute. No drift and almost research quality precision of application. Weapons of choice are either Image or Certainty depending on what other weeds are present.

Ric
08-02-2011, 04:19 PM
On warm season grasses, Certainty applied broadcast is one of the safest applications. Even in hot weather.

Ric, I had to add that bit about spot treatment because I understand the conventions of weed control in the cool season area. Notice the OP is from the Midwest. If cost were an issue and yellow nutsedge were the problem, my next move would be Basagran applied broadcast. I have the misfortune of having only purple nutsedge. In some yards, that stuff comes up so thick that it looks like it was planted as the lawn. The unqualified people will actually go around spot treating a yard like this with Sedgehammer. When I have a lawn like this to clean up, the walking boom treats 1000 sq ft per minute. No drift and almost research quality precision of application. Weapons of choice are either Image or Certainty depending on what other weeds are present.

Green

While I studied Cool Season turf in College, I could care less about it. I am very happy in the Subtropics and have no desire to leave.

BTW I would Love to seen a picture and the specs of your walking boom. I recently purchased a 14 megapixel camera for only $ 120.00 tax title and License plate out the door with the over curb guarantee. But only after I first went cheap with the Wally World $ 10.00 special that made wonderful garbage. However I didn't purchase the camera for Lawnsite, I got it because of my son's Engagement Party.

greendoctor
08-02-2011, 04:26 PM
Ric, the pictures of that boom + regulation unit are posted in a previous thread a while back. That is the one that everyone was making fun of because it was not a Chemlawn gun. It consists of Teejet QJ17560A-1/2 nozzle bodies clamped onto SCH 80 PVC pipe at 20" spacings. My normal tip for applying to lawns at 1 gallon per 1000 is an AI 11004 tip. For lawns under 10,000 sq ft, I usually run it with the engine drive backpack sprayers. Why contaminate my skid sprayer when I do not have to.