PDA

View Full Version : About Spindles

Swampbeast
10-26-2002, 06:52 PM
Hey, question time.

I am wondering about spindles. Specifically, non-greasable vs. greasable. I have heard about guys with Exmarks having thier spindles freeze up after a year, and am wondering if there is any truth behind that. Is there? Which would ya'll recommend?

:cool:

LAWNGODFATHER
10-26-2002, 07:30 PM
Truth.......Where did you read that?

Either way, greasable or sealed they both cost about $20 for each set of bearings for a spindle.

Sealed, mfg's claim when you do grease them you also inject dirt in them and/or over grease them, both are bad for spindles. That's why sealed over greasable.

BTW most sealed mowers have a 2-3 year warrenty on their spindle bearings, that is the life expectancy threy think they have. If you go way past that you did good.

Greasable....I love not having 3 extra things to grease everyday/week.

Flex-Deck
10-26-2002, 08:17 PM
Go sealed bearing - they are convenient, and probably last as long - People tend to grease stuff religiously when new, then start to slack off - then "bingo" the greasables are shot too.

Arnold
10-26-2002, 08:32 PM
Go sealed they are the best. People always think that if a little is good than alot is better. And when it comes to greasing alot is not the way to go.

firefighter
10-26-2002, 09:18 PM
I was told by a bearing salesman years ago that greaseable bearings are better if you know the proper way to grease them. First you must clean the grease zurk. Then you grease the bearings after you are done mowing, not before you start mowing. If you grease the bearings before you mow, the grease will disburse over the hours of run time. Then when your done there is little grease in bearing, and this will allow corrison and rust to set in. On the other hand if you grease after you mow the bearings will be warm and the grease will go into the bearings better and protect them until the next mowing. :blob1:

Arnold
10-26-2002, 09:23 PM
Thats how most salesman are. Sealed ones never loose any grease or lube till they fail. Which is usually just as long as greasable.

Pat Daniels
10-28-2002, 10:21 AM
Just paid 22 dollars a piece for 6 bearings for spindles on my 60 inch ex mark. 650 hours on it. . Also had to replace 2 idler pulleys at the same time at 19.25 a piece. Total labor 1 hour and 45 minutes

Gravely_Man
10-28-2002, 12:45 PM
I personally like spending the few minutes each night to do equipment maintenance. This includes the greasing of the spindles. I consider this to be my unwind time. I can see how a lot of people don't want to waste time doing this and then sealed would be the way to go.

Gravely_Man

Swampbeast
10-28-2002, 01:17 PM
Yeah, I agree with Gravely_man, I actually enjoy doing maintenance on my equipment. I have all greasable spindles right now, I dont want to get non-greasable. :cool:

65hoss
10-28-2002, 01:22 PM
One reason that most have problems with nongreasable spindles is water. People insist on spraying around the spindle area. Exmark recommends not putting water around these areas. High pressure water will find ways into the sealed areas.