PDA

View Full Version : Are Lawn Vacuums any good?

joed
10-26-2002, 08:20 PM
I was wondering if the small push or self propelled walk behind lawn vacuums are any good for leaf clean up. I know Billy Goat makes several models and they seem to be very well built. Are they a useful tool or should I stick to a bag on my mower and my Echo PB650 blower?

cantoo
10-26-2002, 08:30 PM
joed, I have a Troy Built with the chipper shredder on it. The only thing we use it for is doing hedge clean ups. Of course we have a Walker so we a bit spoiled but I don't think the vacuums would do a whole lot. You could always rent one for a day and try it out.

I was at Jutzi's sale in Breslau today and a Parker went for Can$250 I was considering it but didn't bother. The F350 crew cab dumps went for $2600 and $3400 I missed them both, now I'm kicking my azzz.
How far from Sandhill or Caledon are you located. I'm up near Lake Huron, I travel to Toronto to auction sales a few times per year have two coming up in a few weeks.
http://mrjutzi.ca/102602.html

Bob Minney
10-27-2002, 10:44 AM
like anything you need the right tool for the job. I use my billy goat for leaf clean up on small residential props-1 to 3.5 k of turf. (also use a pb650)
they are built well, I've had mine for 9+ years-bags and engine are only maintenance
also works well for picking up thatch after de-thatching and any other clean up when you don't want to blow the debris somewhere

cantoo has best advice-rent one to see if it does what you need

Piedmont Lawn
10-27-2002, 10:49 AM
Bob,

Will your Billy Goat pick up acorns and hickory nuts ?. I started a thread below looking for something that will pick them up ?

Thanks!
Kelly

Bob Minney
10-27-2002, 10:57 AM
Don't have either here so I can't answer-does pick up aluminum cans, sticks, and small stones.
remember what you are going to vacuum up is going through an impeller blade that could be damaged

sirsweatsalot
10-27-2002, 06:46 PM
i rented one on saturday morning to see if it was worth picking one up... and i came to the conclusion they suck (in the derogatory tense). worthless! sure they have a bigger bag then a 21" pusher but they don't really chop up the leafs into a mulch. i used it for an hour and it wasted more time then a 21". so after trying one out I am not going to get one. but you should rent one just to see if you like it.

ranger520
10-27-2002, 07:00 PM
joed, What kind of mower do you run. Read my thread below about the accelerator bagger I purchaced from capt devo. If this will work for you, you will be amazed.And the setup even worked on acorns as well.

Bob Minney
10-28-2002, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by sirsweatsalot
i rented one on saturday morning to see if it was worth picking one up... and i came to the conclusion they suck (in the derogatory tense). worthless! sure they have a bigger bag then a 21" pusher but they don't really chop up the leafs into a mulch. i used it for an hour and it wasted more time then a 21". so after trying one out I am not going to get one. but you should rent one just to see if you like it.

What kind of leafs were you picking up? I find that mine chops them about 1/3 to 1/4 of original volume. Things like dry maples leafs turn to dust.

A hint for getting it to work better-there is a big metal thing on top that has a handle on the end of a rope. Pull er a few times and when she starts making noise she'll work a whole bunch better than just pushing around quite. ;)
Your helpful friend
Bob

Mark
10-28-2002, 09:41 PM
I use my billygoat chip/vac alot this time of season, theres not alot of leaves down yet, and it does a great job on the crubs,and parking lots. Two more weeks ill just be mulching them with ZTR....but will still be useing it on the Business lots......Marks Mowing Service