PDA

View Full Version : LawnBoy 10424 GoldPro Series Mower - Dead

sturley
08-02-2011, 03:47 PM
The mower is 7 years old, small yard, clean fuel each year, but last year mower started surging which seems to be controlled by gently moving the throttle on carb., then it became difficult to start, but would start and other than the above mentioned spell of surging/running wide open - which was controlled by gently pushing the throttle arm, it ran fine.

Now this year, it has progressed from being difficult to start to not starting at all.

It has spark, clean fuel, filters and the first time it would not start - I gave it a shot of Starting Fluid through the air filter into the carb and it started right up and ran great, now no start with or without starting fluid...

Thanks for any ideas for my 10424 Gold Pro 6.5.

ArenaLandscaping
08-02-2011, 04:26 PM
Take the carb off and give it a good cleaning. Check the bowl, float and float valve. Also there is a pilot jet on the right side of the carb usually covered by a sticker with numbers. Clean that also. I usually put a piece of black electrical tape where the sticker was to keep the dirt out. When a Lawn Boy surges like that it is always a fuel/carb problem. Most likely it is the jet but I would clean carb any. Hope this helps.

Carburetor Diagram : #5 is the pilot jet
http://www.partstree.com/parts/dispdiagimg.php?src=r&ilFN=D%3A%5CEMPARTweb_52%5CCatalog+Data%5CEMP_IMG%5CLBY%5CImages%5C3350_625%5Cimage%5C371252.TIF&ilSC=10&ilIV=0&ilBR=0&ilIF=G&ilRE=8&ilSH=0&ilEG=0&ilRO=0&ilSC=40

sturley
08-02-2011, 04:46 PM
Arena Landscaping - thank you very much, I'll give it a try and let you know.

dutch1
08-02-2011, 05:19 PM
If the mower is 7 years old and the carb has not been cleaned up in the past do as advised above. However, you could invest $15 and have the job done right. LawnBoy uses a cork float which tends to swell over time. I've seen floats that are close to 1/8" taller than a new float. When the swelling occurs the float can reach the carb body before the needle/seat closes, causing it to seep fuel. If you've notice escessive smoking or any black crap exiting the muffler at start up, this could be part of your starting problem. For no more than they cost, you might as well put on a new bowl gasket as well.

Float: #92-9697
Needle/seat: #95-1899

Keep in mind also that LawnBoy CDI packs are prone to failure. At this point, at least from your description, I don't see that as your problem. With a CDI that is failing, you will have engine shutdown while the engine is hot, but it will restart when cold.

Just a couple of thoughts.

sturley
08-02-2011, 08:51 PM
Thanks Dutch, off hand do you know the factory spec on the cork float, I wish I had read this prior to opening my carburetor up and I would have measured mine, the screen was clean on the main jet, but it seemed that the pilot jet was gummed up - though it still won't start. I'll give it a go again tomorrow.

Thanks again.

dutch1
08-02-2011, 09:58 PM
Hold the carb in the inverted position with float and needle installed. The float should be parallel to the carb body. If it isn't, latch onto the brass float arm with a pair of needle nose pliers and bend slightly to attain that position.

sturley
08-03-2011, 10:06 AM
Thanks again Dutch, will do.

Now if I could get the temperatures down into the 70's...

dutch1
08-03-2011, 11:00 AM
It appears to be the case everywhere.

Good luck