PDA

View Full Version : celcius guys - max rate?

grassmasterswilson
08-02-2011, 06:03 PM
Love this stuff!! Yearly max rate is 7.4 oz/acre. If you do one app at the high rate then you are pretty much done. How many yearly apps are you doing with celcius and at what rates.

Maybe an early app at low rate and a late app at the high end? I've been thinking of my first spring/summer app being MSM and the celcius after that..

cgaengineer
08-02-2011, 06:32 PM
I have found that anything less than med rate is a waste of product unless your target weed is tomato plants.

grassmasterswilson
08-02-2011, 08:12 PM
I have found that anything less than med rate is a waste of product unless your target weed is tomato plants.

Yeah I've sprayed some at medium and some at high. The max yearly rate is 7.4 oz per acre. That equals 2 med applications (3.7 oz/acre each). The high rate is 4.9 oz.

So either you do 2 med apps or 1 low and 1 high. Anyone sprayed at a higher yearly rate?

WestGaPineStraw
08-02-2011, 08:18 PM

Good one Chris

I know that Chris uses a good bit of it as do I. Yes, you are limited to one max blanket app. If you read the label it says two max rate apps for dallisgrass supression, only as spot treatment though. There are a few weeds on the label that celsius will not control such as curly, shiny cudweed and black medic.

Black medic and spurge have been the summer weeds of the year here. Dimension failed this year and the competition has the same problems.
Posted via Mobile Device

grassmasterswilson
08-02-2011, 08:52 PM
so I guess you guys are just doing 2 blanket apps of med rate? If so what other apps are you using during the late spring/summer?

WestGaPineStraw
08-02-2011, 09:38 PM
Warm season post apps

Rnd 1 - 3way/ester
Rnd 2 - 3way
Rnd 3 - momentum
Rnd 4 - celsius max
Rnd 5 - solitare
Rnd 6 - 3way
Rnd 7 - simazine
Posted via Mobile Device

superintendent
08-02-2011, 10:53 PM
I'm using it for the first time this week to kill crabgrass. I was going to use 3.4 oz for a 30,000 sq ft tank out of my z spray. Do yall that use it alot think that will be strong enough or go heavier.

greendoctor
08-03-2011, 03:18 AM

I will second that. Two times at 3.7 oz per acre 21-30 days apart is how I target hard to kill weeds. Appropriate additive herbicides are also good. Celsius is not a do-all be all product. Just as MSMA never was. I never used MSMA by itself. After that, weeds are kept out by not starving the lawn, adequate water and proper mowing. Appropriate preemergents and alternative post emergents are also part of the program as well.

superintendent
08-03-2011, 10:54 PM
Going after crabgrass in bermuda tomorrow and would like to know what rate yall went with to knock it out the first time. I was also going to add diaqua with it.

jad004
08-04-2011, 12:01 AM
I have been spraying celcius at max rate through my skid sprayer at 2 gallons per 1000 sq ft. It is not killing the crab grass. It is only yellowing it and then it comes back. A friend of mine is spraying it through a cub cadet at medium rate with 3/4 gallons of water per 1000 sq ft. He is getting a pretty good hurt with the first app and then is killing with the second app 21 days later. I knew that was the right thing to do but dang it's hot. Now I'm stuck having to use a different chemical due to max yearly rate.

greendoctor
08-04-2011, 02:42 AM
Again, the usage of appropriate complimentary products will help. I have used a program consisting of Revolver + Image followed by Celsius + Revolver on lawns that had all of the bad actors like sedge and various weedy grasses. Net effect of that application is removal of the grassy weeds and recolonization of the area by bermuda. This is also not just about what to spray, how much to use and how many applications to kill something. Lawns on this program are also well fertilized and I control the irrigation. If there is no irrigation or someone proposes that they know more than me, I walk.

greendoctor
08-04-2011, 03:47 AM
I have been spraying celcius at max rate through my skid sprayer at 2 gallons per 1000 sq ft. It is not killing the crab grass. It is only yellowing it and then it comes back. A friend of mine is spraying it through a cub cadet at medium rate with 3/4 gallons of water per 1000 sq ft. He is getting a pretty good hurt with the first app and then is killing with the second app 21 days later. I knew that was the right thing to do but dang it's hot. Now I'm stuck having to use a different chemical due to max yearly rate.

Did you use 1/2-1% MSO concentrate in the tank mix? Was it sprayed through a fan tip operated at 40 PSI? Even if I am working from a skid sprayer and hose, that is how I apply almost all postemergent herbicides, even the ones like simazine or Image that go through the soil/rootsl. Even then, MSO tends to force foliar absorbtion of the product giving the weeds a double hit. Many product failures go back to deficiencies in application technique. I find that not using MSO or not getting the Celsius to evenly coat the weeds blows the application.

jad004
08-04-2011, 09:11 AM
Did you use 1/2-1% MSO concentrate in the tank mix? Was it sprayed through a fan tip operated at 40 PSI? Even if I am working from a skid sprayer and hose, that is how I apply almost all postemergent herbicides, even the ones like simazine or Image that go through the soil/rootsl. Even then, MSO tends to force foliar absorbtion of the product giving the weeds a double hit. Many product failures go back to deficiencies in application technique. I find that not using MSO or not getting the Celsius to evenly coat the weeds blows the application.

I did not use a fan tip. I used the regular large droplet lawn gun. That was the only difference in my app and my friends app, other than the rate. So I think you are correct that celcius needs to be used with fan tips for better coverage.

new pro
09-05-2011, 12:39 PM
I have found that using a medium rate of Celcius ALONG with an MSO proves for a greater success rate. You can use a non-ionic surfactant but the results arent nearly as good as mixing with MSO.

Falcon50EX
09-05-2011, 03:05 PM
Love this stuff!! Yearly max rate is 7.4 oz/acre. If you do one app at the high rate then you are pretty much done. How many yearly apps are you doing with celcius and at what rates.

Maybe an early app at low rate and a late app at the high end? I've been thinking of my first spring/summer app being MSM and the celcius after that..

I have been only spot spraying at high rate for VB weed and it works well. I did just do a mid rate out of the Z at .73 gal per thousand for spurge and chamber bitter plus 1.1 of a 3 way seems to work well so far.

Falcon50EX
09-05-2011, 03:13 PM
I'm using it for the first time this week to kill crabgrass. I was going to use 3.4 oz for a 30,000 sq ft tank out of my z spray. Do yall that use it alot think that will be strong enough or go heavier.

I would not use Cels on crabgrass only Drive or at least generic Drive