PDA

View Full Version : Is there a vac that pick up acorns and hickory nuts ?

Piedmont Lawn
10-26-2002, 10:57 PM
Hi gang,

Iím looking for a vacuum that will pick up acorns and hickory nuts, push type with a bagger would be wonderful. This will be used in a homeowner application for my dad and his neighbors yard. Any body tried the Craftsman push yard vac?

Thanks!

Kelly

:blob3:

LAWNGODFATHER
10-27-2002, 01:42 AM
Theeeee "Hoover" works pretty well....................

A close second is theeeee "Dirt Devil"....

A distant third is theeeee.................

Seriously a Craftsman shop vac, and the time to use it will work better than most other methods.

Also works great on sweetgum balls.

GroundKprs
10-27-2002, 01:12 AM
Sweep them off the lawn or into piles with a Shindiawa power broom.

Guido
10-27-2002, 02:58 AM
8 HP or more to get the nuts. EVen then, its a PITA.

You may be better off raking.

Sorry...............I've just never really had good luck with those Vacs on turf areas. They're great for sidewalks and parking lots, but I wouldn't use them on grass.

Juts my 2 cents though, some may of had better luck then me.

vipermanz
10-27-2002, 03:44 AM
i think a billy goat vac might be able to eat them

captdevo
10-27-2002, 06:22 AM
RedMax PowerSweep $629 delivered!!

Sweep them into a pile, scoop them up!!! i sell the attachment for $330, it will work on most redmax and shindaiwa trimmers, and probably many others!!

http://www.rpm-co.com/images/RMSZ2500S%2520-%2520RMNBZ2500S.jpg

mdb landscaping
10-27-2002, 07:20 AM
ive tried sucking them up with a shop vac at my own house. It was time consuming, but it did the job. i never thought about using the broom. that maybe something ill try this year. When i do fall cleanups, whatever the blowers and leaf plow dont get, the mower with the bagger will.

Piedmont Lawn
10-27-2002, 10:58 AM
Hmmm, the area is to large for a shop vac not a bad idea though.

Anybody here got a Billy Goat vac and which one, their web page say they will pick up glass bottles. Got any idea on the price range ?

Goats
http://www.billygoat.com/frame_vacuums.html

Craftsman ?
http://www.sears.com/data/product_images/lawngarden/large/07177011000-dlv.jpg

Kelly

Bob Minney
10-27-2002, 12:14 PM
alamia is a local dealer but they sell on-line-prices quoted include freight-they've done a good job for me

link for billy goat prices
http://alamia.com/dir/154.html

captdevo
10-27-2002, 12:30 PM
only problem with Billy goat and other vacs is...

it's gonna suck up soil, moisture and insects as well

the bag pores clog quickly, which causes loss of vaccum

dusty...dusty...oops did i say dusty when emptying bags

---------------------------------------------------------------

try a powersweeper, you won't be sorry.

for sweet gum balls, i place a tarp on the ground with one end standing against an object and sweep them right on the tarp.....as fast as i can walk...with little effort.

and they are great for:

removing other objects off turf with no damage (gravel, sticks, mulch, debris, etc..)

great for squeegeeing (sp) water, snow and mud off sidewalks and drives.

add a nylon bristle for scrubbing drives and sidewalks

Guido
10-27-2002, 01:10 PM
I didn't think of that until I read another thread about using them for snow removal.

They would definetly work, and it would be less of an investment then the vac, and a lot less of a PITA.

We use them on gravel, snow, dirt, etc, and they always do the job with power to spare.

Good Suggestion Capt Devo!

IBGreen
10-27-2002, 06:03 PM
Echo PB650. :D

Piedmont Lawn
10-27-2002, 10:45 PM
Well Guyís

I went over to Dadís today and tried out the back pack blower (RedMax 7001) and his 5 hp push blower with the vent aimed more down from the leave blowing mode, No luck. A lot of the acorns have planted roots. Looks like some type of raking sweeping device is needed.

Anybody know if a pull behind lawn sweeper will work?, the www.baganut.com sweeper looks good anybody here tried one ?

The stick held sweepers are to small for the yard size and number of trees, around 100 yards long and about 30 to 40 yards wide with 9 Oak's at their prime. Big trees.

Guess I need to buy some more rakes......
:blob3:

Kelly

SystemXpert
10-28-2002, 09:28 AM
I use a Troy-bilt 4 in 1 Chipper / shredder / Vac. Works great and will pick up the nuts. However, It is important that you only use this BEFORE you mow your lawn. If you use it after you mow you will suck up all the grass clippings and strip the nutrients from your lawn.

Lowes sells them for 498 bucks.

Craig Jones
10-28-2002, 09:59 AM
We have two Billy Goat KD series lawn vacs (5 HP). Unless you put the snout right down on the ground, it will not pick up the acorns. They are good machines but not real efficient. We use them on very small properties. We actually picked up the machines when we bought out a small lawn company. We found it quicker to either rake or power broom the acorns.

Hope this is of help.

homemwr
10-28-2002, 01:42 PM
I have used an Agrifab lawn sweeper (42" ~$200) with some success. The key is to sweep frequently when the acorn are falling. If they have a chance to settle through the grass they will usually require raking. Between a mix of acorns and some grass, I fill 2-65 gallon compost containers every week for the 3-4 weeks that the acorns are falling.

j. martin
09-25-2006, 04:28 PM
I found this website baganut.com they have all types of machines that are made for picking up nuts. It may be an alternative to a yard sweeper.
j. martin

LarryF
09-26-2006, 08:28 AM
Has anyone tried one of these for picking up acorns and nuts?

http://www.littlewonder.com/hpv.asp