PDA

View Full Version : you charge extra for nut grass control

ant
08-02-2011, 10:02 PM
my full service clients (complete fert program with insecticide and preventative fungicide apps ) get nut grass control for free and the rest that get the basic program are getting charged..

vencops
08-02-2011, 10:11 PM
"Free"? Or, "it's included"....lol?

I've only done spot spraying. If I had to do a blanket app.....I'd have to charge for it. I don't have a customer who has it bad enough I can't take care of it with spot spraying. And, a one-time packet of sedgehammer is $8. My app. Sunday morning took 20min's (incl. mix time).

I can eat that.

greendoctor
08-03-2011, 04:37 AM
Never. It is understood that all sedges are to be taken care of. Lots of lawn guys are bounced for failing to properly control sedges.

turf hokie
08-03-2011, 07:35 AM
Part of our service, we actually use it as a selling point as the big boys either look the other way or charge additional, picked up a few houses this year when we told them it was included...

vencops
08-03-2011, 07:46 AM
Green & T Hokie.....

Do your customers know what nutsedge is (would know what you were talking about, if you called it by name)? Or, do they know it's just another "weed"?

I haven't talked to a customer yet who knew it by name.

Think Green
08-03-2011, 08:23 AM
Ven,
I agree with you!! The concept of education to customers isn't easy for all. Nutsedge has only been a troublesome weed within the last 10 years or so for us as more is being imported from other states through soil and or landscape materials. It has primarily showed up in shrubbery beds first, and then has spread to the lawn.
I am convinced that when customers go and purchase these so-called high quality bags of potting soil, conditioners, to use on lawn in hopes of top dressing and filling holes is when the infestation gets started. Kyllinga came here all of a sudden as well!

Nutsedge control is told up front to customers just the same as crabgrasses. Most times they don't know what you are talking about anyway and that is why I carry a picture catalog. They are charged accordingly and it is figured into the total season bill.............for me it is XXX amount of dollars divided by 7.

n-green
08-03-2011, 09:55 AM
No charge. It's a weed.

turf hokie
08-03-2011, 11:48 AM
Vencops

Yes, unfortunately a good portion of my customers do know what it is and actually will call in to the office for a nutsedge treatment, we are just seeing kyllinga sporadically now, so not an issue yet.

Not all of them know what it is, but not all of them have it either, I have gotten calls for crabgrass and get to the site and its nutsedge, those customers dont understand why I could not prevent it....

Ric
08-03-2011, 12:41 PM
Never. It is understood that all sedges are to be taken care of. Lots of lawn guys are bounced for failing to properly control sedges.

Two ways to run a lawn care Business.

Quote a cheap price then Nickel Dime your customer to death with extras like TG/CL. This appeals to Cheaper customer who will switch services for $ 5.00 less

My way. Sell a complete service at a reasonable price and enough margin to be able to provide top notch service gaining Customer loyalty.

vencops
08-03-2011, 02:10 PM
Ric:

I couldn't agree more with your approach. My problem is, this is my 1st year spraying. ALL of my fert./squirt customers are new customers. I have no idea of the history of their lawns.

I don't have a single account where nutsedge control would require a blanket app.. But, I've seen a few lawns where that would be (IMO) the prudent approach. If I didn't know what to expect, I don't see how I could foresee such a problem (and budget, accordingly) or NOT budget for it.....and have it be an issue.

One approach isn't fair (price-wise) to the customer. The other isn't fair, to me.

Again, on established accounts, I wholeheartedly agree with how you do it.

mikesturf
08-03-2011, 11:26 PM
A weed is a weed is a weed. The customer doesn't care what you call it, they want a clean lawn. So no I don't charge extra.

jad004
08-04-2011, 01:22 AM
Ric hit it on the nose just like he always does. I'm a first year spraying rookie myself but You have to set your price so that you are able to take care of anything that does come up (Nutsedge). I picked up 3 customers just this last week because I will take care of the Nutsedge and the other guy will not. These are pretty good sized lawns and it will cost me around $100 to take care of the problem. But the most important thing is that I picked up almost $400 per application on these 3 lawns. Sounds like a no brainer to me.

I can't Nickle and Dime my customers. It just doesnt feel right to me. I give them a price and then no surprises after that. Be honest and true to the customer. I actually smoked a guys zoysia lawn this year and it was brown for about 2 months (opps) but because I treated him the way I should have treated him, he actually recommends me to people and I have 6 extra customers because of him. (Just thought I'd throw that one in for free.)

greendoctor
08-04-2011, 03:37 AM
My fee structure is set such that I can cover broadcast applications of nutsedge herbicides, crabgrass herbicides and fungicides without telling someone that application will cost them extra. I am not selling applications or rounds. I am selling a nice green lawn with no weeds, insect damage or disease spots.

vencops
08-04-2011, 07:07 AM
But the most important thing is that I picked up almost $400 per application on these 3 lawns.

That's great. How big is the lot?

lawn king
08-04-2011, 07:32 AM
Premium service @ a premium price is the way to make money in this business! Its been our policy for 38 years! After a season, new clients lawns are under control, yet they continue to pay for premium service. This covers the cost of expensive materials for new clients and random breakouts as well as a substantial profit!

jad004
08-04-2011, 10:18 AM
That's great. How big is the lot?

For business reasons, I'll just say that all 3 lawns add up to between 50K and 60K together. Two of the lawns are side by side and the other is only two houses down. That makes it even better.

Ric
08-04-2011, 11:53 AM
Premium service @ a premium price is the way to make money in this business! Its been our policy for 38 years! After a season, new clients lawns are under control, yet they continue to pay for premium service. This covers the cost of expensive materials for new clients and random breakouts as well as a substantial profit!

Lawn King

I didn't want to list all the advantages of each Business plan, But you certainly put them in a nut shell. But you missed the Biggie of how better work sells it's self.

fireman gus
08-04-2011, 02:46 PM
If the person signs up for all the applications of weed control I spot spray the Nut Grass for free. If they take less then the complete program there is a clause that states that there is an extra charge for going back. I have not had any problems with this concept.

vencops
08-04-2011, 03:04 PM
For business reasons, I'll just say that all 3 lawns add up to between 50K and 60K together. Two of the lawns are side by side and the other is only two houses down. That makes it even better.

Thanks. I was guessing it was a substantial amount of SF.

I have 3 in a row, also....totalling 115KSF. After this season (since I know what I'm up against, now), sure.......nutgrass control will be included. I actually haven't charged extra for the apps. I've done on these properties (this year). BUT, none have required a blanket app..