PDA

View Full Version : Best place to buy parts from.

weapons of grass destruction
08-03-2011, 01:43 PM
Hi
I fix mowers on the side and run a small lawnservice.
What is the best deal around to buy parts?
Right now I deal with jthomas.
Once I join there gold club I get 8% off of parts but not oem.
Let me know if there is a cheaper place.

sharkey
08-04-2011, 11:19 PM
Do you have a state sales tax account?

08-04-2011, 11:25 PM
Do you have a state sales tax account?

Not sure what you mean Fl does not have state taxes.

dutch1
08-05-2011, 08:29 AM
WOGD,

Sahrkey's question was about retail sales tax not state income tax.

His point being, that if you have a state retail sales tax permit, you may be able to purchase parts at wholesale from a supplier tax free. However, when you install those parts on a piece of equipment for a customer, it becomes your responsibility to bill out the sale sales tax on those parts. Depending on the prodedure rules in Florida, it is your responsibility to remit to the state the sales taxes you have collected. When I had a sales tax permit, I had to send the sales tax to the state on a quarterly basis.

Depending on your volume of repair work, it may not be worth the effort in going through the hassle of paper work each reporting period. If you do a lot of repair work, you can pick up extra income, due to the fact that you can resell the parts to the customer you purchased at wholesale at the retail price(or more if you desire), similar to the way a dealership does. To put it simply, you will be able to make a profit on the parts.

08-05-2011, 09:08 AM
WOGD,

Sahrkey's question was about retail sales tax not state income tax.

His point being, that if you have a state retail sales tax permit, you may be able to purchase parts at wholesale from a supplier tax free. However, when you install those parts on a piece of equipment for a customer, it becomes your responsibility to bill out the sale sales tax on those parts. Depending on the prodedure rules in Florida, it is your responsibility to remit to the state the sales taxes you have collected. When I had a sales tax permit, I had to send the sales tax to the state on a quarterly basis.

Depending on your volume of repair work, it may not be worth the effort in going through the hassle of paper work each reporting period. If you do a lot of repair work, you can pick up extra income, due to the fact that you can resell the parts to the customer you purchased at wholesale at the retail price(or more if you desire), similar to the way a dealership does. To put it simply, you will be able to make a profit on the parts.

Thanks dutch 1 I Just turned 18 And have not paid taxes yet.
Thats what I want to do when I start getting more repairs.

dutch1
08-05-2011, 10:36 AM
Weapons,

Before you jump into this with both feet, just a couple of suggestions.
At 18, you likely don't have a great deal of experience in outdoor power equipment repair business. Your desire to start a small mowing business and get into the repair business is admirable--a somewhat unusual trait among today's youth.

You can learn the aspects of repair on the go but your learning curve will increase greatly if you could snag a part time job in a retail shop, even if you have to start on the lowest rung. Such an opportunity would be quite beneficial in pursuing your goal. As long as you're willing and eager to learn, be responsible, able to accept instructions/criticism and interact positively with other employees/customers, the experience would benefit you greatly. By working in a shop you may be able to attend schools/updates sponsored by engine/equipment manufacturers. Schools are good but nothing beats hands on experience.

Guys with long time experience will likely agree/disagree with my comments and possibly add some of their own comments/experiences.

Just a few thoughts--take 'em or leave 'em.

piston slapper
08-05-2011, 12:13 PM
If you find yourself fixing more equipment than you're tearing up, it may be the job for you.
I will have to warn you...There arent half as many lawn tech GROUPIES ( desperate housewives)
as I thought there would be..Read the fine print.....

I didnt want to be a mechanic...I just wasnt very good at anything else.....

08-05-2011, 06:12 PM
If you find yourself fixing more equipment than you're tearing up, it may be the job for you.
I will have to warn you...There arent half as many lawn tech GROUPIES ( desperate housewives)
as I thought there would be..Read the fine print.....

I didnt want to be a mechanic...I just wasnt very good at anything else.....

Thanks piston slapper.
Yes I fix more than I break.
Right now I Have 15 lawns in my neighborhood.
And work for my uncle who has a professional landscape business.
Then when I get enough money I will start my own mower business.
I already got a offer for a mower shop for $300,000 comes with scag echo shindawia yazzo kees and world lawn. But it will be cheaper to start my own.
Got a question he says he make more money selling scags then repair.

dutch1
08-05-2011, 06:42 PM
From my experience in a dealership, I can't agree with your last assement of the Scag dealership--unless Scag dealer profit margins are alot greater than I think they are.

Can't support this for fact, but if you looked at the books of most retail/repair shops, you'd find that the repair department of the dealership is its lifeblood. I know that to be fact at the dealership I worked for.

piston slapper
08-06-2011, 09:45 AM
Thanks piston slapper.
I already got a offer for a mower shop for $300,000 comes with scag echo shindawia yazzo kees and world lawn. But it will be cheaper to start my own.

He probably is making more selling scags, even though the mark ups arent that great. The problem is that nothing is selling that well, and the majority of repairs are major failures. The money in the repair business is in "ROUTINE" maintenance, and quite frankly, that part of the business just isnt showing up.

There is a reason he is selling a dealership that should bring 1 - 2 million for $300'000....its no prize pig...

rwaters
08-06-2011, 11:33 AM
Thanks piston slapper.

I would not be so sure it would be cheaper to start your own. I opened a shop 3 years ago and put WAY more then that into it. Look at what he has and you might find more then that in stock. The other question is did that come with the building.

On a side note at 18 you would find it hard to keep the respect of your customers for a full shop. I am 34 and have problems with guys saying I am too young to run a shop and I am 2nd generation I grew up in a lawn mower shop. I am not saying you can not do it just saying it will not be easy.