PDA

View Full Version : Almost made $43 per sq. ft. today on a paver job

JimLewis
08-03-2011, 04:48 PM
ALMOST....

I gave a proposal to a long term customer for a bunch of different projects on her property - both hardscape and softscape projects. One of the items was to build a little 60 sq. ft. simple rectangle shaped paver landing / patio. I submitted the proposal to her and she said she wanted to go ahead with all of the itemized projects on my proposal, including this small landing / patio. Once I arrived at the house I realized I had made an error in my proposal and added a whole extra day of labor into that part of the proposal. So it came out to almsot $43 per. sq. ft. for a very simple paver pad with hardly any cutting. And she was ready to pay that price.

But my conscience wouldn't let me do it. It was tempting, I gotta say. Afterall, she had already agreed to pay the price I had quoted her. But I couldn't do it in good conscience. So I told her of the error and corrected my proposal before we signed the contract. We're still getting paid well for it. $22 per sq. ft., in fact. But that's all I could let myself get away with.

I sure would have liked to make that much more $$ though...... payup Just wouldn't have been the right thing to do, though. Gotta do the right thing.

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
08-03-2011, 08:43 PM
Yeah but it'll come back around somehow when you underprice the next job by accident. Like me today ordering 9 yards of bedding sand and only needing half that:hammerhead: I have no idea what I did but it's going to cost me a couple hiundred to get rid of it.:confused::hammerhead:

DVS Hardscaper
08-03-2011, 08:58 PM
Only the good die young, Jim. Only the good die young.....

Posted via Mobile Device

GreenLight
08-03-2011, 09:41 PM
I have found my conscience doesn't have a dime to contribute when I short myself on a job.

In all seriousness though, I can't really take advantage of people either in situations like that. Though I have noticed the vast majority of them will certainly take advantage of any free work they can squeeze out of you.

sven1277
08-04-2011, 12:17 AM
You weren't taking advantage of her. You gave her a price that she agreed to. End of story.

Lite4
08-04-2011, 07:23 AM
Good for you. I hear of way too many guys out there trying to get over on a homeowner. No wonder so many don't trust us. It's always right to do right. That customer will always be your best sales tool now and because she knows you deal honestly, she will tell all her friends about you.
Posted via Mobile Device

DVS Hardscaper
08-04-2011, 09:50 AM
Im a firm believer in Karma. I always try to do the right thing. And when something bad happens, I ask myself "ok, who did I do wrong?"

In feb 2010 I received a speeding ticket. I was rushing to the doctors office. Not because I was late, as I wasn't. But because I was very sick after being stranded home for a week due to the roads being closed due to deep snow drifts. The doctors office told me "you need to be seen right away get in here as soon as you can". I was the only one on the road after my state just lifted the driving ban. Got pulled over and got a ticket, the trooper never asked where I was going or why I was speeding. So last weekend a buddy of mine who is a corporal for the same barrack was
Over at my place, and told me the trooper that wrote me a ticket was working a highway construction zone and drove his cruiser into a large hole opened in the highway (opened with an excavator)!!!! I laughed and replied "Yep, that's what happens when you write a ticket to someone that should
Not have been written, and cause them to miss a day of work going to court"!

But yet, I have another service, non-hardscape related that I offer with little competition. So my prices are reflective of
That. Everything is clearly spelled out in the written proposal. The client is not forced to accept the proposal. Is it wrong that our prices are based on supply and demand? America is founded off of supply and demand.

Posted via Mobile Device