PDA

View Full Version : I just had to post this.

fixer67
08-04-2011, 12:43 AM
I was working to day on a John Deere and when I seen this I knew I had to post it on Lawnsite. I do not know what to say. The picture speaks for its self

JDiepstra
08-04-2011, 01:16 AM
Whats the big deal? Dealer probably wanted $20 fot the pin.

Puddle of Oil
08-04-2011, 02:08 AM
I would have done the same thing. It's only suppose to keep the rode from sliding out.

44DCNF
08-04-2011, 02:15 AM
Redundancy....the guy that put those on there must be a pilot.

topsites
08-04-2011, 03:16 AM
It's because they want your first born child in exchange for the actual pin that's supposed to go there,
for that exact reason I can personally say I've become very fond of cotter pins.

Restrorob
08-04-2011, 07:56 AM
A little odd..... But I'd rather remove that than a freak'n nail that had been driven into the hole and bent over. :dizzy:

White Gardens
08-04-2011, 08:25 AM
A little odd..... But I'd rather remove that than a freak'n nail that had been driven into the hole and bent over. :dizzy:

Ha! Ditto.

Done that a few times back home on the farm growing up. When your in the middle of a 100acre field, you'll use anything to get you finished and back to the shop.

rwaters
08-04-2011, 08:59 AM
Whats the big deal? Dealer probably wanted $20 fot the pin.

if your willing to pay $20 and not use a cotter pin you would be run out of my shop for stupidity. I think I charge a $1 when I put a clip in, $.50 on a cotter pin. Fixer you must be near the city if you do not see that every day.

piston slapper
08-04-2011, 11:54 AM
Get used to it....its the new "normal"
People are doing anything they can, to get as much as they can. out of everything they own.
I used to build a ton of engines...I still get folks bringing me engines to overhaul, but , more often than not, they are used up so bad that theres nothing to rebuild. The bread and butter of the repair business ( servicing the mowers and engines) has dried up.
Time to load the barn...could be a long winter....

Sharpcut 1
08-04-2011, 12:14 PM
That's nothing!! My customer's would of used .095 trimmer string, and tied it in a knot!!

dutch1
08-04-2011, 03:04 PM
On the other end of the spectrum, I've worked on several 2 stage snow blowers where the owner had sheared the shear pins in the intake rotor. Not wanting them to shear again. they installed grade 8 bolts only to create further damage upline.

Nothing surprises me anymore.

piston slapper
08-04-2011, 03:33 PM
On the other end of the spectrum, I've worked on several 2 stage snow blowers where the owner had sheared the shear pins in the intake rotor. Not wanting them to shear again. they installed grade 8 bolts only to create further damage upline.

Nothing surprises me anymore.

I know those guys....Snowbirds...
When they're down in sunny Fla , they jam a stick against the throttle arm, holding the engine at WOT, from cold start to shutdown. This is usually the result of a broken throttle cable.

BTW...whats a snowblower??? I think I saw 1 in a book.....

dutch1
08-04-2011, 03:38 PM
Slapper, I think you could use a change in scenery. You need to shiver a little now and then--does a body good!

piston slapper
08-04-2011, 03:52 PM
Slapper, I think you could use a change in scenery. You need to shiver a little now and then--does a body good!

I dont think so.....My gills would freeze shut....
90's and high humidity is just fine.....Some Like It Hot.

Restrorob
08-04-2011, 06:46 PM
You need to shiver a little now and then--does a body good!

Dutch, I get my share of shivers..... Everytime I see one of those HUGE "DaisyMae's" around here ! http://www.iol.ie/~gtir/misc/weather/cold2.gif

piston slapper
08-05-2011, 02:50 PM
Dutch, I get my share of shivers..... Everytime I see one of those HUGE "DaisyMae's" around here ! http://www.iol.ie/~gtir/misc/weather/cold2.gif

Rob....I had no idea you worked near the "Epicenter Of Uglyness"
Do you get dukes of HAZZARD pay ?:dizzy:

dutch1
08-05-2011, 03:09 PM
I'm beginning to think that's what that fancy truck is for--hauling Miss Daisymae! Rob in the cool of the cab, Miss Daisymae sweating it out in the back.

piston slapper
08-05-2011, 03:37 PM
I'm beginning to think that's what that fancy truck is for--hauling Miss Daisymae! Rob in the cool of the cab, Miss Daisymae sweating it out in the back.

Dutch....The heat getting to you ?
Taking off the gloves on Friday afternoon?
Comparing the fully customised RR truck to the pickup that "cool hand Luke's "mama visited the prison in ???

It paints an ugly picture.....Keep Your Powder dry.

Stay Tuned....

dutch1
08-05-2011, 04:39 PM
Just shakin' Rob's tree--checkin' for a hornets nest! All in good fun as it was.
Ya gotta manufacture some fun in these conditions.

Fortunately, I got my job for the day done early and am now cooling my heels in the AC.

piston slapper
08-05-2011, 04:44 PM
Is that Rob's tree I hear shakin'.....Or is your knees knocking....?
All in good fun....

Its gettin' bad hot today...the heat rolls in like the fog....It got down to 87 overnight.

Restrorob
08-05-2011, 09:20 PM
Haha ! You guy'z crack me up.... Couldn't put a Daisymae in the back even if I was :dizzy: enough to try, The fenders are almost on the tires already !

Speak'n of HOT.....

I've been getting wind burnt on my face neck and arms from a 20" box fan, In my work area !!!

I had enough and gave the boss a parts request list yesterday, I rolled in this morning to see his truck loaded down.

I grabbed the manlift, Loaded the bucket with my parts and went up on the HOT tin roof and built me another sprinkler system. Boss took my last one home for his putting green :realmad:

It lowered the inside temp by nearly 10 degrees which did make it a little more bearable, This summer seems to be the hottest I've seen in the shop. Maybe there really is something to all this "Global Warming" crap ?!?!?!

dutch1
08-05-2011, 10:51 PM
Rob, I suppose if all your boss wants to do is buy a few parts to built you a sprinkler to cool the tin roof, he wouldn't consider this.

http://www.fastenal.com/web/products/detail.ex?sku=0209215&ucst=t

It may be that the resulting humidity added to what you already have in Florida may do more harm than good. I haven't used one but I stood in front of one at a farm and industrial show that was held in a hot fairgrounds building--seemed to do a nice job if you had it within 10 feet of your work area. They claim that it will reduce the temperature 20-30 degrees in an enclosed area when sized properly for the square footage of the work area.

fixer67
08-05-2011, 11:50 PM
Rob, I suppose if all your boss wants to do is buy a few parts to built you a sprinkler to cool the tin roof, he wouldn't consider this.

http://www.fastenal.com/web/products/detail.ex?sku=0209215&ucst=t

It may be that the resulting humidity added to what you already have in Florida may do more harm than good. I haven't used one but I stood in front of one at a farm and industrial show that was held in a hot fairgrounds building--seemed to do a nice job if you had it within 10 feet of your work area. They claim that it will reduce the temperature 20-30 degrees in an enclosed area when sized properly for the square footage of the work area.

I feel like I am hi-jacking my own thread here but we have one of these coolers at work (in fact we have 2, on for the front of the shop and one for the back) and the is a lot cooler. They do work as they claim.

piston slapper
08-06-2011, 10:32 AM
I had one in a shop I worked in back in the 90's
They work ok, but , in Fla, you have to put a little bleach in the water.
The humidity makes the water grow mold, causing them to put out a funky smell.

ProMo
08-06-2011, 10:39 AM
That's nothing!! My customer's would of used .095 trimmer string, and tied it in a knot!!

thats what i use

Restrorob
08-06-2011, 01:28 PM
I feel like I am hi-jacking my own thread here

Sorry Fixer !

he wouldn't consider this.

By no means Dutch, He's got a bad awful squeak when he walks...... I picked up a can of penetrating oil off my work bench one time when he walked up, Told em to turn around, The look on his face was priceless !!! :laugh:

dutch1
08-08-2011, 02:52 PM
Sorry about the slow comeback, Rob. My somputer spun me off the interweb last Friday evening. Two hours in the shop and $40 later, I back up and running.

I was correct in my assumption. Yeah, I know some of those kind of people! They'd squeeze the poop out of the buffalo on a nickel before turning loose.

I guess the best you can do is keep the sprinkler going.

wildwood 1
04-08-2012, 12:08 PM

I've done that before!

piston slapper
04-08-2012, 12:17 PM
And I thought Dutch's computer was slow. .....
August to April.......Hmmmm......
Posted via Mobile Device

#1Wrench
04-09-2012, 11:22 PM
at least it was not 5ft of weed whip line tie'd to everything to hold it in..http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o288/jugalo777/thud.gif