PDA

View Full Version : Domain Name Taken

Wiedmann
08-03-2011, 11:50 PM
I wanted to start a website and possibly get more exposure from it but my name is already taken. I have been thinking about what to do. I could just change from a .com to a .co, .net.... Or I could add a (-) in my domain name to keep it the same but i worry that people wouldn't remember or know to type that in when searching for me.. and then the last thing I thought of doing was adding LLC at the end of sine I am a LLC

1. 1stclasslawncare.co or 1stclasslawncare.net

2. 1st-Classlawncare.com

3. 1stclasslawncarellc.com

I'd love any suggestions to this!

Stillwater
08-04-2011, 12:05 AM
#3 without question............

vencops
08-04-2011, 06:13 AM
1stclasslc.com

shorter = better

White Gardens
08-04-2011, 07:30 AM
You could also track down the owner of the original Domain name that you wanted and try to buy it off of them.

Just type in the domain in your browser address bar and see if a site pops up. Then go from there.

Someone has Whitegardens.com already, and they haven't built a site for it or anything, and I'm in the process of trying to track them down and offer them money for it.

yard_smart
08-04-2011, 08:28 AM
ProleLawnCare.com is available

Andy31
08-04-2011, 10:17 AM
Howdy,

Finding domain names to match your already existing company name can be a bear. But like what was already mentioned you can always contact the owner of the domain you want and try to purchase it.
I would most definitely use a .com! If you advertise with it you want something easy for people to remember without the hassle of a random .co etc, EVERYONE knows .com.

1stClassLawns.com is available, I am not sure if that is close enough or not.

Well thats my 2cents

MowHouston
08-04-2011, 02:48 PM
Better domain names for your website, if you are doing business in Prole would be

ProleLawnService.com
ProleLawnCare.com
LawnCareProle.com
LawnServiceProle.com

This is because search engines largely take into consideration the name of the website in respect to the keyword being searched.

As long as you have good content on your website relating to lawn care and lawn service, using these types of domain names, no matter what the name of your business, is the best option.

DoodyCalls Franchises
08-04-2011, 02:59 PM
Purchasing a domain name that's already taken can be a major headache, but if you do decide to take that route, you can use http://www.whois.net to locate complete information on a domain name registrant. The service was built for this exact purpose and is the industry standard method for doing so.

Note that if the domain is privately registered, the email address listed in the whois record will look a little strange - that's okay. It's just a proxy email address and your message will still be delivered to the owner's real email address.

Good luck -

MowHouston
08-04-2011, 04:57 PM
To be honest, if you're actually doing your work in Prole, I wouldn't worry too much about trying to market your website except to have it on publications that you pass out such as door hangers, post cards, or business cards.

With a town so small, you wont benefit much from website marketing.

Now, if your plan is to be commuting to Des Moines to do your work, that is a different story.

Its not to say that you shouldn't worry about having a website. There are just different purposes for the site depending on where your target market is. In smaller, rural, older populations they arent useful as a form of marketing.

In larger cities with younger, more internet savvy populations, they work great.

Wiedmann
08-04-2011, 06:00 PM
Wow i got way more input that i thought from this which is awesome! I read all the suggestions and to answer them like my City is Prole, IA. I can't use it really as a marketing approach since it is made up of one post office and 10 houses! HAHA

When thinking of shorting my website instead of 1stclasslawncare...... to
1stclasslc.com

shorter = better

Do you think people would struggle to remember this? or would this not be problem if i put it on my business card and invoices and so on?

I'd love to have 1stclasslawncare.com but if i remember it's taken by a person or company from texas. There isn't much information on it but there is some. I wish i could of been quicker in getting my business started but at age 20 i dont know how much quicker i could of done it. I don't know that i really need a website as I am still small as this is my first year but I figure I have to do something in order to gain business and promote my company. I'd like to go full time in the next few years.

Mickhippy
08-04-2011, 07:09 PM
1stclasslawns

Im with Vencops, shorter is better!

Do you want people to remember your website or be able to find you in google?
IMO, if people see you driving around, I think your business name and ph number on the side of your truck is more important than your website address.

If you want to be found in search your website address isn't so important as its just an address, not the name of the business. Your business name is what will appears in search.
A potential customer will remember your business name before the website address.
They will get home and either search there suburb/city for lawn mowers or search your business name.

Take mine for example. My business is Ground Control Lawn Mowing. (too long)
Search... lawn mowing currumbin valley. Notice what comes up in search and then look at my address.

Wiedmann
08-04-2011, 10:05 PM
So since my address is from a very small town is there no way to get my business to show up when people search larger towns around me?

Mickhippy
08-04-2011, 10:41 PM
So since my address is from a very small town is there no way to get my business to show up when people search larger towns around me?

I have found that to be a problem but thats google search/places related and how your site is optimised for search.
I joined many free service sites stating I live in those suburbs to get into other areas. Google Places dosnt let you do that any more, i.e., live in many suburbs, and can in fact can get you into trouble stating false info to them.

Your website design (tags, headers etc) will have something to do with it as well.
Google dosnt like static websites. It will go for sites that are updated regularly like blogs. Thats what I have been told anyway. I am in the process of getting a new site myself. It is a blog sort of set up that will be updated regularly with photos and talk about the areas I work in keeping it fresh and relevant!

I am not website geek by any stretch, all the above is just what I have been told. I would get further info from a pro about it!

Mickhippy
08-04-2011, 10:50 PM
I should add, I found myself heading further and further down the google search list.
I recently made a few small changes to my site and now Im right up there again.
search separately...
(lawn mowing) gold coast, tallebudgera, worongary, tallai, mudgeeraba

terceslil
08-11-2011, 03:52 PM
Blogs work best because you are able to update them regularly. Search engines don't like stale outdated websites. When you use a web designer and have to pay them for each update, you are going to find that there is a delay between the time that you need the site updated and when it actually gets updated.

You can have a blog site and still maintain a professional appearance. One key to getting surrounding areas to come to your site is to put the names of neighboring towns/cities in your site. Make sure your website has relevant content so that they search engines recognize you as a lawn company and direct traffic your way.

As far as the domain goes, shorter is better.

However, if you want to stick with your name, this is available: firstclasslawnpros.com

I'm a Freelance web designer & web design put me through college.

HungryGoatLawns.com
08-11-2011, 04:01 PM
spell it.

Firstclasslawncare.com

NaturalIntegrity
08-11-2011, 08:12 PM
Go with #3. I just went through this myself.

Wiedmann
08-11-2011, 10:31 PM
spell it.

Firstclasslawncare.com

Thats taken and i don't want to get away from the major part of my business name "1st Class." Theres a local guy who's name is something like First cut so I'm trying to keep my separation.

If i used 1stclasslawncarellc.com I keep thinking of how i would market it, it's just so long now that i keep looking and thinking about all the possibilities. I have to find a shorter way i think. Maybe since this is my first year i might rename myself but keep the 1st class part. I guess this is all part of the learning process

XtremeGreenLawnCare
08-17-2011, 10:35 PM
Howdy,

Finding domain names to match your already existing company name can be a bear. But like what was already mentioned you can always contact the owner of the domain you want and try to purchase it.
I would most definitely use a .com! If you advertise with it you want something easy for people to remember without the hassle of a random .co etc, EVERYONE knows .com.

1stClassLawns.com is available, I am not sure if that is close enough or not.

Well thats my 2cents

I think that Andy has the best idea. I would go that route if I were you.

tinman2207
08-21-2011, 02:19 PM
Better domain names for your website, if you are doing business in Prole would be

ProleLawnService.com
ProleLawnCare.com
LawnCareProle.com
LawnServiceProle.com

This is because search engines largely take into consideration the name of the website in respect to the keyword being searched.

As long as you have good content on your website relating to lawn care and lawn service, using these types of domain names, no matter what the name of your business, is the best option.

Excellent advice but check that words like 'Prole lawn sevice' etc are getting enough searches!

Shaun

Andy31
08-21-2011, 04:58 PM
So what did you go with?
btw: Thanks XtremeGreen

TXLWN
02-18-2012, 12:03 AM
What about adding the city your in to the end of it ?

Wiedmann
02-18-2012, 12:09 AM
Hey guys! It took me awhile to figure things out but I ended up pulling the trigger on getting a website. I thought about a lot of things when thinking of what domain to use. I went back and forth between using one similar to my actual name and then people on here got me to think about using a shorter name, along with using the city I live in for my domain. I thought I had it all set to go with 1stclasslawns.com until I met with the design company I am using for my website. They talked to me about how I really should try and use a city name in my domain to try and stand out against others in that city since my actual domain for my full business name was already taken.

The biggest problem I face is that my address is of a very small town and I do my work in Des Moines which is 20 miles away. I decided in order to get myself into that market with the internet I had to go with the city name of West Des Moines. my ending domain is WdsmLawnCare. The site should be up in a few weeks and hopefully look impressive!

Zen Lawn
02-24-2012, 01:24 PM

ProleLawnService.com
ProleLawnCare.com
LawnCareProle.com
LawnServiceProle.com

With this one, you could just change the order of the letters a little bit, like...

Paroleelawncare.com

Do you think that would sell?

:laugh: