PDA

View Full Version : Crabgrass stage now

RigglePLC
08-04-2011, 12:56 PM
Crabgrass has gone to seed here in Grand Rapids. (August 3rd.) What stage is it in where you are?

Does Drive still work? Are you using the higher rate? How high? More surfactant? How much surfactant is too much? Which surfactant for weed control is best? MSO? LI700? Crop oil? Silicone type?

Does Drive work better when it is hot? Low volume or high volume?

What about the southern grass crab products?

cgaengineer
08-04-2011, 03:24 PM
Damn Riggle...thats alot of questions!

ChiTownAmateur
08-04-2011, 07:22 PM
Crabgrass was actually very light in this area until about 3 weeks ago and now lawns have pretty good infestations. Have not seen any of it going to seed yet, thankfully. Overall still a lot less than previous seasons and came in much later than previous years (at least in significant amounts). Geography is not that different here interesting that it hasn't gone to seed yet, since the lattitude is so close I'm guessing that it goes to seed here within a week.

White Gardens
08-04-2011, 07:39 PM
I'm having problems with drive at the lower rate. Seems like I get a good initial kill and then bam, it's back.

This is lawns I treated about 2-3 weeks ago, and will have to go back and spray again.

I'm attributing it to the hotter temps, and lack of moisture helping the CG to thrive and the good grass isn't competing as it's in dormancy.

vencops
08-04-2011, 07:52 PM
WG:

Are you spraying 75 DF or XLR8?

lawn king
08-05-2011, 10:52 PM
Crabgrass is, for the most part in the final stages here. Weed pressure has been high this season as we expected following last seasons drought. Sedge and broadleafs have been persistant but crabgrass has really not been that bad om my lawns. Im half done with round 3, and im actually very pleased with the overall condition of my accounts. I sure would like to see a full day of rain!

White Gardens
08-05-2011, 10:56 PM
WG:

Are you spraying 75 DF or XLR8?

XLR8.

The biggest problem is people calling me after the CG is out of control and even the XLR8 label states that a complete kill might not be possible if the CG is past two tillers.

lawn king
08-06-2011, 07:34 AM
I used xlr8 last season, using d 75 this season.

vencops
08-06-2011, 08:07 AM
Thanks, WG.

TLS
08-06-2011, 08:58 AM
Crabgrass was actually very light in this area until about 3 weeks ago and now lawns have pretty good infestations. Have not seen any of it going to seed yet, thankfully. Overall still a lot less than previous seasons and came in much later than previous years (at least in significant amounts). Geography is not that different here interesting that it hasn't gone to seed yet, since the lattitude is so close I'm guessing that it goes to seed here within a week.

Same here in Phila area. Just getting around to mowing a few, and it really popped with this rain we had the past week. No signs of seed anywhere.

I'm spotting any break through with Q4, as I have a few weeds and sedges here and there too. Overall, not much at all on my treated lawns.

A LOT of totally dead grass though. This is two years in a row that were loosing large portions of lawn due to week long triple digit temps. :dizzy: