PDA

View Full Version : Blowout Wall

dean1130
08-04-2011, 01:49 PM
I have a customer that has a retaining wall that has blownout. She wants it to be redone the right way. She had someone else do it before. I have never redone a wall before. She has all the block still. So in this case, I just need to remove the remaining block and reconstruct the wall and will have some material cost in crush stone, sand, geogrid, and drainage pipe minus the block. The wall is 70 ft long by 2ft high. Most would not recommend geogrid, but there is a slope. Just curious on pricing, if i should charge more since they have the block already.

DVS Hardscaper
08-04-2011, 02:16 PM
What does the fact that they have they block already have to do with your time? Please explain.

When it snows, I do not charge our snow removal clients more
Money because I didn't supply the snow.

Also, this is a re-do job. You're not gonna like me after this, but if you need to ask whats needed, how to do it, and how to price it - This is a job you should not be involved with. The best thing to do is let an experienced wall person do the work so this home owner can have piece of mind. And so you don't get sued 5 years from now.

There is more to building walls than just stacking block. A 2' wall failed, you're telling us. It did not fail cause of lack of grid. It failed from lack of site preparation. In other words someone just plopped block in/on the ground and built a wall like we did with Legos when we were 6. and I say this confidently without seeing pictures :)

Posted via Mobile Device

scagrider22
08-04-2011, 04:21 PM
The only reason to charge extra in this case is if you have to clean dirt off the blocks, scrape glue off, or if they are still installed and need to be removed to do site work. But I agree with DVS, you sound like you may not be the right guy for the job, the home owner may eat the cost of a failing wall one time but I bet they wont eat the second failure!

Krafty
08-04-2011, 08:18 PM
Should you charge more?? Think about that question for a minute and I am sure you can figure out the answer. Now, not only are you building a retaining wall, but you are also sorting through a flippin mess, and scrapping mud, dirt, and glue off blocks. Maybe you should let this one go....

xtreem3d
08-04-2011, 08:22 PM
I guess the other company isn't chipping in? I would rather take clean block off a staked palllet sitting close to the site , than pick up a bunch of scattered blocks and clean dirt and glue off them..............but that's just me

EDIT (Krafty beat me to it !!!)

dean1130
08-04-2011, 08:31 PM
I have built many walls.... That is what caused it to fail was the base. It was not wide enough.

PatriotLandscape
08-05-2011, 09:42 PM
I have never redone a wall before.

did we miss something here?
Posted via Mobile Device

DVS Hardscaper
08-05-2011, 10:09 PM
I have built many walls.... That is what caused it to fail was the base. It was not wide enough.

And i'm not clear on how the base caused a "blowout".

Can you please elaborate.

Or upload some photograghs.

Stillwater
08-10-2011, 01:13 AM
Repairs time and matrials.....