PDA

View Full Version : Redwood Photo Contest Finalist

mdvaden
08-04-2011, 05:56 PM
This year, Save the Redwoods League selected my redwood photo below from over 500 as one of 10 finalists. Once voting began, they sent a note to get the word out.

If you would like to lend some support to a fellow Lawnsite Arborist / Landscaper, here's the link. Voting open until August 12th, 2011.

2011 Redwood Photo Contest Voting (http://www.savetheredwoods.org/community/contest.shtml)

So far, I'm holding 3rd place by a thin margin.

This image is titled Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park

flatlander42
08-04-2011, 06:31 PM
Great Pic.

You got my vote.

mdvaden
08-04-2011, 07:08 PM
Great Pic.

You got my vote.

Thanks.

Forgot to mention in the OP, that the photo is memorable to me too, because it was taken about 1 hour before finding the world's tallest Hemlock tree in the same park - 272 feet. Named "Tsunami" after the wave that reached the redwood coast last March.

Below is that tall tree found the same day - sleek looking base.

ochosdaddy
08-04-2011, 09:06 PM
I voted for yours. Looks like you're up against tough competition. Good luck!

mdvaden
08-05-2011, 12:15 AM
I voted for yours. Looks like you're up against tough competition. Good luck!

If I were not committed to supporting my photo, there's a chance I'd pick the salamander one.

The slug was okay, but there's another camera lens stuck in the shot.

For a "redwoods" type photo contest, it seems like big redwood trees should rule.

:)

ochosdaddy
08-05-2011, 12:59 AM
If I were not committed to supporting my photo, there's a chance I'd pick the salamander one.

The slug was okay, but there's another camera lens stuck in the shot.

For a "redwoods" type photo contest, it seems like big redwood trees should rule.

:)

I know redwoods are tough to photograph mainy because of their massive size. You did it well. Two years ago my wife and I drove through (and hiked) in Jedediah Smith Redwoods park in CA. I understand those redwoods aren't really that big compared to some. I wish we could have spent more time there.

mdvaden
08-05-2011, 01:28 AM
I know redwoods are tough to photograph mainy because of their massive size. You did it well. Two years ago my wife and I drove through (and hiked) in Jedediah Smith Redwoods park in CA. I understand those redwoods aren't really that big compared to some. I wish we could have spent more time there.

It just depends on where you hike in each of the north redwood parks. Jedediah Smith redwoods where you hiked, has the 1st, 4rd, 5th and 6th largest known coast redwoods. And many other giants.

The redwood below is in that park too, and has a 30 foot wide trunk 4.5 feet above grade. That's 5 feet wider at dbh than the largest tree in the world (General Sherman Giant Sequoia) even though its wood volume is less. There are massive redwoods in Jedediah Smith.

http://photos.imageevent.com/mdvaden/redwoods/large/SC_TT_Thumb_LBox.jpg

GravyTrain
08-05-2011, 09:28 AM
I've got to make it over in that area before I die (hopefully got MANY more years until that happens). Excellent photograph. As of my vote, looks like you are only about 16 out of first. I can only imagine your fellow lawnsite guys will help you out.

yamahatim
08-05-2011, 11:31 AM
Voted! Great photo, good luck!

KrayzKajun
08-05-2011, 11:42 AM
You got my vote! great pic

Chevy z71
08-05-2011, 01:47 PM
I voted and good luck.

ryde307
08-05-2011, 11:18 PM
Got my vote. I need to go see those someday soon.

lifetree
08-06-2011, 01:05 AM
Excellent picture !!

ATLandcare
08-06-2011, 02:37 PM
Got My Vote :)

mdvaden
08-07-2011, 01:27 AM
I've got to make it over in that area before I die (hopefully got MANY more years until that happens). Excellent photograph. As of my vote, looks like you are only about 16 out of first. I can only imagine your fellow lawnsite guys will help you out.

First thanks to all the replies.

About the "first" spot, that would be nice to reach. I'd be thankful to end up first, second or third, but first or third are the only prizes I can utilize, because they are farther north where I explore and visit.

Here's a redwood photo I took several weeks ago in Prairie Creek redwood. Nice color. This is exactly how this redwood is shaped.

mdvaden
08-08-2011, 03:26 PM
Just dug up one more photo related to this. In reply #3, I posted the base of the tallest known Hemlock, found like an hour after taking the redwood image in the OP.

Here's that Hemlock trunk base again, shown in reply #3, first photo below. If you scroll beneath it, I included a reduced size photo stitch showing almost the entire tree's 272 feet. The stitch tilted the trunk slightly. It's actually straight as an arrow. The trunk on the left if a Douglas fir of similar height, and they touch crown to crown near the top.

I've got a wider version of the stitch, but the height would be somewhat excessive on the page.

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=227229&stc=1&d=1312499326

mdvaden
08-09-2011, 09:50 PM
Related to redwoods, though not the contest, but here's one more to share.

Not sure why, but it seems that everywhere I go, Asian folk never cease to amuse me and are often friendly. Like the Mongolian Grill we eat at about once a month. The Asian man when handing the cooked plate of food, spins around in one or two circles with a big grin.

Of the people who I've asked if they would pose for a shot, this guy was about as easy-going as anyone I've met in the Coast Redwoods. Germans are pretty easy going too, and there's quite a few visitors there in autumn from Germany: 2nd photo. The dad and son with dreadlocks, came over for a music festival near Fortuna, Ferndale area, and some forest time.

http://photos.imageevent.com/mdvaden/redwoods/large/Simpson_Reed_Redwood_Tr.jpg

http://photos.imageevent.com/mdvaden/redwoods/large/German_Mahon.jpg

agrostis
08-10-2011, 06:36 PM
Nice pictures. You got my vote. What kind of camera equipment do you use ?

larryinalabama
08-10-2011, 07:25 PM
Great pics, my Dad retaired near Kernville ca, near Bakersifeld, I have some nice pics of the Sequoas. I often think of moving to Visilia Ca, to be near the Sequoia national park. Hope Heaven is like thes mountains

bobcat48
08-10-2011, 08:48 PM
Looka great,very nice pics!

mdvaden
08-11-2011, 10:02 AM
Nice pictures. You got my vote. What kind of camera equipment do you use ?

Most of my photos lately are with two cameras

1. Canon SX10 (big point & shoot)

2. Canon TSi / 550D Rebel DSLR
Tokina 12-24mm - Canon 70-300mm - Canon 24-105mm L