PDA

View Full Version : Confront Being Removed From Home Lawn Applicaiton

mcambrose
10-27-2002, 09:36 AM
What do you plan to use on violets since the lawn application of Confront is being stopped?

LAWNGODFATHER
10-27-2002, 03:39 PM
Confront, it is being removed from the market, not on the endangered species list.

I am building my supply at 30gal drums at a time before Dec, 31st.

When that is gone they will have somthing out by then.

Otherwise Round-Up or Gasoline will do the trick.

tremor
10-27-2002, 03:51 PM
Confront contains trichlopyr & clopyralid. Only the clopyralid is being removed from home lawns.

DOW will offer a differant companion to trichlopyr in a new intoduction that might debut around the same time that existing Confront inventories begin to disappear. Still, a lot of my customers are stocking up on Confront to ensure they have product for the entire 2003 spray season. I would too. Any Confront you can buy now, that has residential use on the label, shoud remain legal to use for as long as you still have the original container/label. I think!

Before the introduction of Confront, the previous violet control benchmark was Turflon. And it was trichlopyr with a 2,4-D kicker to make it work a little fatser.

I wouldn't mind seeing a return of Turflon, but with the 2,4-D issues that just won't go away, DOW will probably use something else.

Ester formulations of 2,4-D do a nice jon on violets as they always have. Just watch your spray temp's.

Steve

LAWNGODFATHER
10-27-2002, 04:07 PM
All this cause some one found clopyralid in a tomato in a lab enviroment.

mcambrose
10-28-2002, 06:56 PM
The real problem is that they found a buildup of clopyralid in some of the grass clippings they were using as mulch in areas where clippings are collect to recycle. It stunted some of the plants in which the mulch was used. Still think it was over reaction.

tremor
10-28-2002, 09:08 PM
The funny thing is that DOW has a statement on the Confront label that requires treated clippings be composted for 1 year prior to their use in a garden. But no municipal composting operation has the room to compost correctly. So end users get poor quality compost just for starters. As a finisher, some get herbicide residues too.

This isn't the LCO's fault. It isn't DOW's fault. And I'll suggest it isn't the homeowners fault either. It's the idiot composters.

I don't give a rat's butt if they don't have the time or space to do it right. If they can't do their jobs properly, let others who can take a wack at it. Bunch of overpaid, union, vacation day counting, sick day using, blankety blank.....

It's really time to set some mandatory standard with respect to how composting is done & for how long. If black leaves are still visible & the stuff smells foul, who can claim it's even close to being finished?

Wait the proper time & all these issues go away.

Steve

RMDoyon
10-29-2002, 07:47 AM
tremor,
I have not used Confront but it sounds like the same AI mix as Momentum, which I have had great success with (and have begun to stockpile).

Is there a significant difference in Confront that I should consider stocking up on it rather than Momentum?

Kent Lawns
10-29-2002, 11:19 AM
Momentum has just a small % of Confront. (and the rest 2,4-D)

If you stockpile confront, you can mix it with 2,4-D to make your own Momentum while stockpiling much less "gallonage."

If you guys think we're going to be left without "fangs" to punish ALL types of weeds, I don't think so.